Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Dink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I don't understand the criticism Smith is copping here.

It's not like he was several suburbs away, got a call from Hunter, drove over to the scene of the accident and helped Hunter make a getaway.

Rather, the accident happened in the street where Smith was, he saw Hunter gives his details and couldn't invite him in as it breached social distancing rules. He offered Hunter a lift, or Hunter asked for one. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose where he went. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose to continue drinking when he got there.

Alternatively, you are suggesting that Smith should have refused to give his team mate a lift unless it was to the player's home. I do not believe that was Smith's responsibility.
    A simple call to Bains or Gordon was the right action if that is what transpired. Smith would know it is non-essential travel to take Hunter to Billy Gowers' place. He is less culpable under your scenario but still culpable nonetheless. I'm not doubting his intentions, but rather his judgement.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.
    Exactly what I'm getting at. I dont think Smith did something that was good but can completely understand why he did it and what he did wasn't terrible. The alternate was leaving Hunter walking around on the street drunk and highly emotional.

3. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, Dry Rot, Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Ok - you didn't say the word poor, but the inference is clear.
    Bornadog said he was an unlikely character to do this sort of thing - and you responded that he is a known party boy with a racing/punting background and a long connection to footy culture. And then above went over it again with the child of his environment comment.

So you are questioning his character due to his environment of his father's involvement in racing and footy, and the party reference I guess with whoever his friends are. Thats fine if thats your opinion, just own it if you think that.
    I'm not questioning his character - I'm stating that's what his character is.

We're all products of our environment. That's not making any assessment, that's just a statement of fact.

Lachie was a partyboy lair when he joined the club - it was widely known and widely criticised. I'm prepared to accept that he's grown up a bit as he's got older, but we all never change that much.

As far as owning my opinion, isn't that exactly what I've done a number of times now?

You seem to think I'm applying some kind of emotional reaction to this - I'm not. This isn't an off with his head offense - but he should have known better and I find it surprising people are downplaying how serious it is.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    From that information alone he doesn't seem to have broken any rules. Is there another rule concerning staying at the scene if driving under the influence or something?
    if there is any property damage and the owner (or Police) is not there, you must report the crash to the nearest open police station.

Not leave a note for the neighbours and bugger off.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hang on a second, didn't a report say Smith called the Police? If so I'm calling BS on the bolded part. I don't think anyone thought anything was getting covered up. Hunter gave his details to neighbours. Pretty shit effort to hide it if that's the intent.
    One of the local residents called the police, and her husband notified Lachie of this (he asked them)

Whether Bailey was present for that conversation is another matter, but if he was and Lachie asked him for a lift to Bill’s place following this, he clearly should’ve said ‘nah, we should stay’

Tough spot
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    One of the local residents called the police, and her husband notified Lachie of this (he asked them)

Whether Bailey was present for that conversation is another matter, but if he was and Lachie asked him for a lift to Bill’s place following this, he clearly should’ve said ‘nah, we should stay’

Tough spot
    Just shows we don't know the full story
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    if there is any property damage and the owner (or Police) is not there, you must report the crash to the nearest open police station.

The reports to hand state he left his details with the vehicle owners. Perhaps he didn't leave details with all the owners and that's the issue? Nowhere has it said anything about leaving a note.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know this?

Just shows we don't know the full story
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The reports to hand state he knocked on doors and left his details with the vehicle owners. Perhaps he didn't leave details with all the owners and that's the issue? Nowhere has it said anything about leaving a note.

I’ve read it somewhere, I’ll try and find it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Some further details:

Two of the four damaged cars belong to Smith’s girlfriend’s family — with one vehicle believed to be owned by either the girlfriend or her sister.

An associate of Smith dropped the keys to the damaged Mercedes at the scene before it was towed away.

He would not comment when approached by the Herald Sun.

Smith briefly visited his girlfriend at her family’s Wright St home this afternoon.

He drove a white Toyota Hilux and parked at the back entrance.

He gave a peace sign to media as he drove away about 1.40pm.

The crashed cars were located directly outside the family home.

A woman delivered white roses to the family this afternoon and said they were a “lovely family” and it was a shame they had been caught up in the scandal.

12. Thanks Mofra, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.
    Pretty much this. It's not the cold sober light of day Smith was dealing with, he was dealing with an alcohol-affected Vice Captain who was upset after a fight with his fiance who had just plowed his car into four others, it was late and Hunter wasn't going home.

He did the wrong thing but I think his intentions were sound. The kid's a teetotaller who was basically OCD in his footy preparation on and off the field.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Testekill, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Pretty much this. It's not the cold sober light of day Smith was dealing with, he was dealing with an alcohol-affected Vice Captain who was upset after a fight with his fiance who had just plowed his car into four others, it was late and Hunter wasn't going home.

He did the wrong thing but I think his intentions were sound.
    So what exactly was the wrong thing that Smith did?

Hunter wasn't going home. Should Smith have called an Uber for Hunter and not worried where he went, or just left Hunter in the street?

I don't think it was up to Smith to contact the club and dob Hunter in either.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

As a comparison Jarman Impey crashed into parked cars a few years back (including Angus Monfries car) and drove away. He apparently wasn't drink driving though (not sure if he wasn't or just didn't get caught). Got convicted and fined in court and a 1 match ban and $5,000 fine from Port Adelaide.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter will be punished under the road code and presumably under the Victorian covid "stay home/social isolation" regs.
    Smith can perhaps be excused due to his age and he being the "junior" in the incident. He needs to heed the hard lesson.
    If we are to continue with the no dickheads policy then alas Hunter's contract is very likely terminated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    So what exactly was the wrong thing that Smith did?

Hunter wasn't going home. Should Smith have called an Uber for Hunter and not worried where he went, or just left Hunter in the street?

I don't think it was up to Smith to contact the club and dob Hunter in either.
    Smith shouldn't be out and about under stay at home rules.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    What part of 'stay home unless it is essential travel' doesn't he understand? Add that to the list of laws he has broken in a rather calamitous few hours.
    Yep essential travel, social distancing etc, all fines to be paid by the 3 players then Hunter has to face some pretty serious charges on top of that.