Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Strange isn't it, when the incident has nothing to do with football. As for the vice captaincy, that is different, as he is in the leadership team.
    I'd agree - certain things like the leadership position you can understand, and we've seen politicians demoted due to indiscretions.

But I don't agree with how players seem to get huge fines from their own employer for something off field. If he is suspended for 3 matches - you are already talking around $9K. The damage bill on cars will be more than a lot of people's annual wage (yes, his doing), $1600+ fine, legal expenses - yep all of these he has made his own bed. But to throw club sanctions on top when he's already missing pay this year......he'd be hoping Super Seth can win a group race soon...

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'd agree - certain things like the leadership position you can understand, and we've seen politicians demoted due to indiscretions.

But I don't agree with how players seem to get huge fines from their own employer for something off field. If he is suspended for 3 matches - you are already talking around $9K. The damage bill on cars will be more than a lot of people's annual wage (yes, his doing), $1600+ fine, legal expenses - yep all of these he has made his own bed. But to throw club sanctions on top when he's already missing pay this year......he'd be hoping Super Seth can win a group race soon...
    There might be a few reasons for this. There are behavioral clauses in contracts, the players are shareholders of the game and companies also put clauses into their sponsorship commitment with the clubs
    As a result, players are well compensated but it comes with a commitment to reflect well on the club, competition and associated parties.

If players can't make that sort of professional commitment they might be better playing at a lower level
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

I get what you're saying about the balance of punishment. It should be fine or ban.

But employees can be subject to action, including termination, for behaviour outside of work. The rough test is that there must be a sufficient nexus between the event/actions and the employer. For example, someone doing awful things at an off campus out of hours work Christmas party or hotel stay with other employees are two classes of employees subject to this. In this case, Lachie doing what he did, then involving Bailey and subsequently Billy to Non Essential Travel around the driving matters to me fits the test of having a sufficient nexus to his employment with the club, that's leaving aside any binding codes of conduct for out of work conduct. So I don't see too much to some club based punishment. But after the leadership & VC stripping, it should be either games or a fine, but not both. The debate I guess is the makeup of the balance of punishment.

I still vividly remember Collingwood player Darren Millane dying in a car accident. It's not just smashed up cars, but Lachie & Stengle should be a teaching lesson to players of the fatal result that Millane suffered under a truck while intoxicated. No one wants events like the recent one, and no one wants to see another talented young football die behind the wheel. Here the focus is deterrence from the club level and how we get players attention to look after themselves and their welfare, and to reduce serious risks to themselves and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course there is one major punishment Lachie will have already suffered.

If he reportedly left home after a disagreement with his partner, just imagine the row he was going to have when he finally got home.

No wonder a few drinks with Billy seemed a good idea. :-)
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Of course there is one major punishment Lachie will have already suffered.

If he reportedly left home after a disagreement with his partner, just imagine the row he was going to have when he finally got home.

No wonder a few drinks with Billy seemed a good idea. :-)
    I hope he has sorted out his differences with his fiance after a magnificent proposal in Positano. (one of my favourite places.)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Strange isn't it, when the incident has nothing to do with football. As for the vice captaincy, that is different, as he is in the leadership team.
    I’m not sure really that it can be seen as nothing to do with football. It may seem unfair in some ways and I know many dislike the “role model” tag but it’s part of why they also get ridiculously well paid and lots of adulation. For example ...Prior to this incident I saw Lachie in the news for better reasons - giving a call to a kid with cancer who’s in hospital. It’s not exactly the message you want a child who hero worships a player, to then have to hear an explanation about why his idol is in the limelight for now.

Secondly, the profession of being a footballer involves being fit and keeping your body fine tuned. Getting completely smashed isn’t in line with that career focus whereas for the rest of us have a greater separation from our work lives and social lives.

There’s a lot we don’t know about this story and it troubles me a lot that this whole thing occurred from a club leader. We’ve had our share of mental health issues at the club and I wonder if we’ve been struggling since the departure of some of the wiser old heads at the club.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear god there’s a few on here have lived the perfect life of no mistakes
    2 week suspension is about right
    People make mistakes , sometimes big ones !

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    On top of the pay cut all players will experience are there other considerations to what I have listed below?

Will lose his license for 12 months
    Will need to cover 50K worth of damages to the cars
    $1,652 fine for breaching the isolation rules. Perhaps he will pay for Smith as well
    The court will likely fine him some money and he may need to do some community work

Then there are the club sanctions
    3 weeks suspension
    Loss of the vice captaincy and leadership role
    I think the club can fine him as well

Have I missed much?
    More like $150,000 according to radio report today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    More like $150,000 according to radio report today
    Seems on the high side to me but who knows
    I will see if I can find out

Post Thanks / Like

Seems on the high side to me but who knows
    I will see if I can find out
    Yep, 150K is around the mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, 150K is around the mark
    Does that include his own car damage?

So place your bets? How does Lachie get to training for 12 months?

A) Moves closer to WO?
    B) Players drive him?
    C) Family drive him?
    D) Public transport?
    E) Taxi/Uber?
    F) One of his horses?
    G) Other?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

A) Moves closer to WO?
    B) Players drive him?
    C) Family drive him?
    D) Public transport?
    E) Taxi/Uber?
    F) One of his horses?
    G) Other?
    Maybe an ironic sponsorship with Uber. He can appear in some commercials "Stuffed up behind the wheel? Don't do what I did, dial an uber" in return for discounted trips to training.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

A) Moves closer to WO?
    B) Players drive him?
    C) Family drive him?
    D) Public transport?
    E) Taxi/Uber?
    F) One of his horses?
    G) Other?
    Yes, it's for the 5 cars, 2 might be written off

G - Uber to training, mates to give him a lift home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Oh dear god there’s a few on here have lived the perfect life of no mistakes
    2 week suspension is about right
    People make mistakes , sometimes big ones !
    Interesting take Remi. Can’t recall anyone saying that they haven’t made mistakes (I have made plenty and paid the price).Think you need to read posts a bit more clearly. Some of us are merely articulating what our thoughts are in regards to punishment. You don’t agree with them that is fine. Some people tolerate certain behaviours, others don’t. Drink driving, for mine, is near the top of the list due to the carnage it can create and the number of lives can be affected. People know better and we are all to quick to fob it off as a dumb mistake.

No doubt he will learn from this episode but again as a person in the public eye, who is a role model and a leader of the club I think he should be sacked. It won’t happen of course but that is simply my opinion.

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Mclure reporting decision to be announced tomorrow on punishment
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.