Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You claimed it, you prove it. Otherwise it's just hyperbole.
    Lol, ok dude.

Here are 2 posts from the first page of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Words can’t express the disappointment of this selfish act. Why anyone chooses to drink drive in the first instance is beyond me, but even more so in the current environment. What the hell was he thinking.

Sackable offence for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If the reports are accurate, immediate dismissal is the only appropriate sanction. No sympathy.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From SEN

UNDER-fire Western Bulldogs star Lachie Hunter will fight any police charge of leaving the scene of an accident in the wake of his multi-car crash.

But Hunter will not contest a drink driving charge after driving his Toyota SUV into four parked cars in Middle Park around 8.45pm Thursday night.

The Bulldogs will this morning continue their investigation into the actions of their vice-captain, with sources saying a 2-3 match ban is likely. The Hunter camp will argue any games missed takes on greater severity than normal given the season has been shortened to 17 games.

Hunter could also be stripped of the vice-captaincy and fined by the Dogs.

The penalty will need to be ticked off the AFL, whose integrity unit are making their own enquiries and have the wide-ranging ability to charge players for bringing the game into disrepute.

Hunter last week returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.123 when police found him at the South Yarra home of teammate Billy Gowers at an unknown time after the crash and in a period where he had continued drinking.

Hunter’s exact reading at the time of the crash is impossible to determine, but sen.com.au understands the Bulldogs vice-captain will throw himself at the mercy of the law and surrender his licence for 12 months.

However, it’s understood Hunter will argue he is not guilty of leaving the scene of an accident given he left his details with nearby residents and no one was hurt.

Under Victorian law, if you are in a vehicle accident you must stop immediately and exchange names and address with other motorists or property owners.

Hunter, who lives in Middle Park, was on his way to Gowers’ house after an argument with his fiancĂ© when he crashed into four parked cars.

Hunter is facing a repair bill of $150,000 for the damage to those cars. He was also fined $1652 for breaching stay-at-home rules and is also facing a fine for careless driving.

At least one of the cars Hunter damaged is owned by the parents of young teammate Bailey Smith’s girlfriend, with Smith driving Hunter to Gowers’ place.

Smith, 19, was fined $1652 by police for breaking public health orders as a result, while Gowers was let off with a warning.
    "Leaving his details with nearby residents" doesn't cut it under the Road Safety Act unfortunately.

The law is clear: If you cannot identify or contact the OWNER of the damaged property, the collision MUST be reported to Police.

If he found the owner of every damaged car at the time, he's fine. If not, he's in trouble.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On top of the pay cut all players will experience are there other considerations to what I have listed below?

Will lose his license for 12 months
    Will need to cover 50K worth of damages to the cars
    $1,652 fine for breaching the isolation rules. Perhaps he will pay for Smith as well
    The court will likely fine him some money and he may need to do some community work

Then there are the club sanctions
    3 weeks suspension
    Loss of the vice captaincy and leadership role
    I think the club can fine him as well

Have I missed much?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    "Leaving his details with nearby residents" doesn't cut it under the Road Safety Act unfortunately.

The law is clear: If you cannot identify or contact the OWNER of the damaged property, the collision MUST be reported to Police.

If he found the owner of every damaged car at the time, he's fine. If not, he's in trouble.
    Well, 2 of them were at his teammates girlfriends house so he was halfway there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Well, 2 of them were at his teammates girlfriends house so he was halfway there.
    The guy with the pest van was clearly on the scene as well and it's more than likely the owner of the fourth vehicle was home (given the current restrictions) and probably checked out the front of the house when they heard an enormous bang.

From what's been reported (and we probably don't know everything), Hunter has likely done what he needed to and hasn't illegally left the scene of an accident.

8. Likes bornadog, Topdog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The guy with the pest van was clearly on the scene as well and it's more than likely the owner of the fourth vehicle was home (given the current restrictions) and probably checked out the front of the house when they heard an enormous bang.

From what's been reported (and we probably don't know everything), Hunter has likely done what he needed to and hasn't illegally left the scene of an accident.
    That might be the reason why he's confident he will challenge the leaving the accident charge

Good call

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Thankfully, it seems the narrative around Hunter is at worst he is stripped of the vice captaincy. The initial response here of a few to knife him completely was pretty harsh so I'm glad no one is publicly suggesting it either.
    I was one of those, and haven't changed my view. 2-3 weeks seems to be what is being suggested, that's hugely insufficient.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Yeah thats how I see it as well from all the information we have so far.

Doesn't diminish Hunter being a massive dickhead on the day but dont think he did much wrong in leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah thats how I see it as well from all the information we have so far.

Doesn't diminish Hunter being a massive dickhead on the day but dont think he did much wrong in leaving.
    Well other than leaving his car to go for a drink, that was far from ideal

He will pay a hefty price for his stupid act but calls for him to be sacked don't appear to be in line with so many others

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Well other than leaving his car to go for a drink, that was far from ideal

He will pay a hefty price for his stupid act but calls for him to be sacked don't appear to be in line with so many others
    One thing is for sure - he will endure a far heftier set of punishments than you or I would if in the same situation.
    I can't think of many occupations, where on top of the significant punishments handed out via the law/legal system, you would be fined by your employer, stood down from doing your job (meaning loss of match payments), and fined by that employer.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lol, ok dude.

Here are 2 posts from the first page of this thread:
    So two people.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    One thing is for sure - he will endure a far heftier set of punishments than you or I would if in the same situation.
    I can't think of many occupations, where on top of the significant punishments handed out via the law/legal system, you would be fined by your employer, stood down from doing your job (meaning loss of match payments), and fined by that employer.
    Strange isn't it, when the incident has nothing to do with football. As for the vice captaincy, that is different, as he is in the leadership team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Oz. It's so high profile it comes with so many repercussions that the rest of us don't have to put up with.

It must be a weird way to live.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    So two people.
    Which lines up nicely with comrades initial post of

The initial response here of a few to

2 = a few.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone with an occupation that is subject to the same possible double punishment with significantly less pay I can tell you that I do not feel sorry for them in the slightest.