Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Jazzadog summed it up well.
    Is that really your response?

You made a comment about Smith immediately after an article I posted and made a reference saying
    "Smith being charged is just rubbish - yes there are social distancing rules, but there is also common sense"

When I asked you to explain the common sense of Smith driving Hunter away from an accident involving 5 cars being damaged and to a team mates place you referenced a point of view expressed well by Jazzadog about Gowers letting Hunter into his house as your response
    Lets at least be consistent because they're very different with one being a fine and one a warning. That highlights to me the police are applying common sense.

Challenging just about every rule the AFL implement is one thing but to now be questioning the job the police are doing on social distancing rules particularly in this discussion doesn't seem right to me.

For whatever reason Smith broke the rules we are all asked to follow and if he feels hard done by or there is more to it then he should simply appeal the fine and explain his thought process. The other option for him is to cop the decision and learn from it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes chef, Sedat, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The AFL website has already moved on from the Hunter crash, no mention of it anywhere on their front page.

The Herald Sun website has a few mentions of it on the front page, but no doubt these will continue to slide down the priority list as they clamour for more Magpies/Bombers related news.
    If Hunter is yesterday's news, Stengle never even made the news. Very crafty by the Crows to 1) conceal his drink driving an unregistered car incident for over a week, and 2) deciding to make it public and take out the trash only at the height of the Hunter story
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What judgement is Roughead referring to from his time with us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's intellectually redundant. By that measure we should stand down all firefighters because in the case of fires, they'll be multiple of them together. Or maybe hospitals too. But police recruits undertaking essential training... Maybe they should stop all cars and vans working and shutting down stations. Homicide Squad? They work in teams of 8-10. Shut them too.

I'm not police anymore, but that's really, really poor to read from someone's whose posts I usually enjoy reading.
    Sorry you think it is poor, but social distancing is social distancing. Surely training needs to be reassessed. Having 15 Police officers huddled together is not social distancing, and not a good look for the public. If you think I am making this up, I can send you a photo my wife took, much to the sergeants annoyance.

Yesterday I saw 5 Police walking together, shoulder to shoulder along the Yarra, where literally there was no one around. I think they need to set the standard for everyone and not make up things by dishing out fines for nothing. eg Guy washing his car at 1am, girl having driving lesson with her mother. Technically Smith is not social distancing, but there is common sense in helping someone in need after a car accident. Whether Hunter was drunk or not he would be shaken after hitting cars. What do you do leave him in the street. That is what I mean by common sense.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Hun

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Lachie Hunter is expected to be suspended, fined and possibly booted from the club’s leadership group after a costly night out that has implicated two of his teammates.

Bulldog bosses will today continue their investigation into Hunter’s wild Thursday, where he crashed into four parked cars and then asked teenager Bailey Smith for a ride to Billy Gowers’ place to continue drinking.

Hunter, 25, left home emotional after an argument with his fiancee and was breathalysed only when police found him with Gowers.

He has been hit with a $1652 penalty notice for breaching social distancing rules and will be sent the insurance bills for the damaged vehicles.

A series of phone calls and WhatsApp group chats by top Bulldogs attempted to verify what happened.

With the AFL integrity unit and police involved it was decided they needed more time.

“The incident was discussed at the Bulldogs’ scheduled board meeting today, and the club is taking the matter very seriously,” the club said in a statement.

The Bulldogs want to complete a thorough investigation so they don’t replicate Collingwood president Eddie McGuire’s mistake in 2008.

McGuire publicly defended Alan Didak, only for it to emerge that he had been lied to and Didak was in Heath Shaw’s passenger seat when the intoxicated driver damaged three cars.

Bulldogs football director Chris Grant, coach Luke Beveridge and the rest of the leadership group will decide the punishments, which will then be ratified by the board.

It shapes as a baptism of fire for new captain Marcus Bontempelli, 24, who has been in charge for just one game.

Premiership Bulldog Jordan Roughead said this month that sitting in judgment of peers while vice-captain at Whitten Oval was uncomfortable.

“I was asked to tell one of the players what their punishment was going to be for an indiscretion,” Roughead, who is now at Collingwood, said.

“It didn’t really sit well with me.”

Hawthorn did not suspend Luke Hodge for a drink-driving offence in 2015 and he captained the club to a premiership only weeks later.

Hunter’s camp is likely to argue his suspension should fall in line with this year’s reduced home-and-away season.

For example, a four-game ban in a 17-round season is equal to a five-game ban in a 22-round season.

Hunter, a best-and-fairest winner and premiership star, is under contract until 2024.

It is understood Hunter would consider fighting any drink-driving charges, given his blood alcohol reading of 0.123 was largely attributed to drinking at Gowers’ South Yarra home after the crash.

Hunter exchanged licence details and phone numbers with residents on Wright St in Middle Park before hopping into Smith’s car. Last night it was understood that Smith was present only because Hunter had damaged a car belonging to his girlfriend’s family in a bizarre coincidence.

A bottle of pinot rose was left in Hunter’s passenger seat when he abandoned his SUV, which was later towed.

Hunter has played 103 out of the club’s past 104 games.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you think it is poor, but social distancing is social distancing. Surely training needs to be reassessed. Having 15 Police officers huddled together is not social distancing, and not a good look for the public. If you think I am making this up, I can send you a photo my wife took, much to the sergeants annoyance.

Yesterday I saw 5 Police walking together, shoulder to shoulder along the Yarra, where literally there was no one around. I think they need to set the standard for everyone and not make up things by dishing out fines for nothing. eg Guy washing his car at 1am, girl having driving lesson with her mother. Technically Smith is not social distancing, but there is common sense in helping someone in need after a car accident. Whether Hunter was drunk or not he would be shaken after hitting cars. What do you do leave him in the street. That is what I mean by common sense.
    Again, it’s intellectually dishonest point. Police and firefighters work as teams. Taking photos of hard working police members going about their tasks in challenging times... I don’t want to see them. I’m shocked and speechless our police suffered that indignity.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, it’s intellectually dishonest point. Police and firefighters work as teams. Taking photos of hard working police members going about their tasks in challenging times... I don’t want to see them. I’m shocked and speechless our police suffered that indignity.
    All I am saying is they need to set the standard, its my opinion, and I am offended by your remarks to me.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

All I am saying is they need to set the standard, its my opinion, and I am offended by your remarks to me.
    What’s your issue? That I don’t like police members being photographed doing their job? And that it demonstrates a lack of dignity or respect.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s your issue? That I don’t like police members being photographed doing their job? And that it demonstrates a lack of dignity or respect.
    I will make no further comment in this thread till the club comes back with their findings, so lets leave it there please.

Post Thanks / Like

I will make no further comment in this thread till the club comes back with their findings, so lets leave it there please.
    Fine. I’m not sure why the club will comment on taking unauthorized photos of police doing their jobs, and if it’s disrespectful. Let’s what on PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually asking whether social distancing rules apply to police walking the beat or conducting training exercises in public or in the work place isn't that unreasonable, given they're responsible for issuing fines to people who they deem to be breaking the rules. At a time when public confidence or sentiment towards this particular element of how they operate is low having an answer readily available wouldn't hurt.

Though given they're able to sit side by side in patrol cars you'd probably be able to assume they're exempt from the strict social distancing everyone else is.

Not sure what's wrong with taking images of police. If it's not interfering with their duty it's perfectly legal, whether it's disrespectful or undignified is pretty subjective.

Anyway, back to the situation at hand...….I just want the investigation to be done with and outcomes announced. The longer it goes on from here the more it will seem a contrived result.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s the doubt? They’re emergency services, thus, essential workers. They’re even door knocking quarantine households, placing themselves at risk.

When it’s ok to invade the privacy to invade the lives of law abiding citizens, the right to privacy itself for all others gets weakened. Lawful and wrong are different concepts.

A vast many want to beat up on police, right until they ring 000 (not saying anyone here). Me, I will defend every law abiding police member to my last breath. Including their right to go to work (in shithouse circumstances), uphold the right and not have their photos taken without permission. For many, the last 12 months have been violence, dead bodies, bushfires and coronavirus. Their thanks is turning up to work to be photographed without their consent, and privacy invaded/breached.

It’s not justifiable. Hopefully it’s a teaching and reflecting moment about how we treat our police.

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting it’s a difficult shit job in a shit time , but there are a load of grey areas at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

I'm offended for BAD with that response. So taking a photo of people who are suppose to be upholding a rule who themselves are breaking the rule while upholding it is intellectually dishonest? The police are paid by the taxpayer & its certainly legal to take a picture or film a police officer in a public place.
    By the tone of your post we should never question any authoritative voice ever as they know better than the plebs.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What’s the doubt? They’re emergency services, thus, essential workers. They’re even door knocking quarantine households, placing themselves at risk.

When it’s ok to invade the privacy to invade the lives of law abiding citizens, the right to privacy itself for all others gets weakened. Lawful and wrong are different concepts.

A vast many want to beat up on police, right until they ring 000 (not saying anyone here). Me, I will defend every law abiding police member to my last breath. Including their right to go to work (in shithouse circumstances), uphold the right and not have their photos taken without permission. For many, the last 12 months have been violence, dead bodies, bushfires and coronavirus. Their thanks is turning up to work to be photographed without their consent, and privacy invaded/breached.

It’s not justifiable. Hopefully it’s a teaching and reflecting moment about how we treat our police.
    I've got no problems with police walking side by side or driving in cars together at the moment. It's how they do their job. But, being able to clearly articulate why police don't have to follow the same rules as the general public at this moment in time is a no brainer for me.

When are we allowed to take images of police then? Only if they're doing the right thing and we say well done, or only when they're doing the wrong thing? Or never at all?

If a citizen thinks the police aren't acting in accordance with the law, or are performing their duties inappropriately what should they do, just report it and hope the police take care of things without any evidence? Is this what you're actually saying?

I'm not trying to bait you, it's a genuine question because you have a perspective on this that I can't bring to the table.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Likes anfo27 liked this post