Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

SEN

Former Hawthorn president and current AFL commissioner Andrew Newbold has offered Western Bulldogs advice on how to deal with Lachie Hunter following his drink-driving incident last week.

Hunter blew 0.123 in the hours after crashing his car into four park cars in Middle Park on Thursday night.

Newbold, who is current chairman of Golf Australia, dealt with a similar incident as Hawks president in 2015 when Luke Hodge returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.068 after drinking at a social function in the week before finals.

He said Hodge’s openness about his error of judgement contributed to him avoiding a club-imposed suspension for the incident while also forecasting the Western Bulldogs would be having extensive conversations with Hunter in private.

“Clearly Luke (Hodge) was open and honest about the mistake he made,” he said on Sportsday.

“We had some pretty open and honest conversation and we moved on from there. They’ll be a lot that goes on behind closed doors that will never seen the public light of day and that’s fair enough because clubs need to look after their assets and staff.

“That’s what we tried to do at Hawthorn.”

Newbold denied the club dealt with Hodge differently because the incident occurred just weeks before they eventually won the 2015 premiership.

“I don’t know we necessarily made a different decision because we were going into the finals,” Newbold said.

“What we look at is contrition and his record in terms of abiding by the rules set by the players themselves. When I was at Hawthorn, the players very much drove their owns standards of behaviour.

“At first instance, Hodge would’ve had to have fronted up to the players and then we would’ve to step in.

“It was a culture very much driven by the playing group and I’m sure that will apply to a lot of clubs today.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one from SEN

Kane Cornes has called for the Western Bulldogs to immediately strip vice-captain Lachie Hunter of his leadership position after he crashed into four parked cars and returned a positive breath test on Thursday night.

Hunter was allegedly driven by 19-year-old teammate Bailey Smith to Billy Gowers’ house in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

Police then conducted a breath test on Hunter which returned a reading of 0.123 – more than twice the legal limit.

Cornes said the Dogs have no choice but to exclude Hunter from any leadership role at the club for at least 12 months.

“I think (stripping of the vice-captaincy) is the first position the club would take,” he said on Crunchtime.

“It’s probably untenable to hold that position. We’ve seen players dumped from leadership positions for a lot less than this.

“I think (Hunter) would probably put his hand up himself. It’s pretty hard to be involved in a leadership group with (other leaders) who will be handing down a punishment to him.

“I’d be surprised if he hasn’t already volunteered to step down for 12 months and then reassess things.

“There is a certain trust that is lost when something like this happens. We’re not going to hang the guy out to dry but we understand the seriousness of it.

“Everyone will get a second chance – he’ll be welcomed back (to the leadership group) but I’d say not for (at least) 12 months.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I work in a job where I don't know if the person standing next to me is the cousin/sister/brother/Aunty/Uncle of the client I have. Autistic people are fairly unpredictable-I've been bashed more than once but if I strike out then it's MY fault, not theirs. I knew the rules when I signed up for the job and I accept them. One of those is acting professionally and in the way my employer has trained me to react-I just can't go off tap and neither can the cops.

If I *!*!*!*! up then I deserve to lose my job because I have been trained to deal with those situations by my employer and I have ignored that training by putting myself in harms way.
    No one defends rogue cops, especially me, that's not close to the point. Photographing and filming police for no reason is a somewhat new thing. If police are acting in a dangerous or corrupt way than film them. If they're doing routine duties in a completely lawful way, then they shouldn't be subject to random filming or photographing. Nor should you. Nor should I. Or anyone else. All our privacy matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No one defends rogue cops, especially me, that's not close to the point. Photographing and filming police for no reason is a somewhat new thing. If police are acting in a dangerous or corrupt way than film them. If they're doing routine duties in a completely lawful way, then they shouldn't be subject to random filming or photographing. Nor should you. Nor should I. Or anyone else. All our privacy matters.
    It's just part of my job. I don't get a say in it.

If I don't accept then I find another job-no argument. The first thing my first boss said to me was "perception is everything-I don't care if you are right or wrong, it's the optics I care about and you are being judged by everyone who sees you"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's just part of my job. I don't get a say in it.

If I don't accept then I find another job-no argument. The first thing my first boss said to me was "perception is everything-I don't care if you are right or wrong, it's the optics I care about and you are being judged by everyone who sees you"
    True. The parallel though is cameras throughout police stations, interview rooms, holding cells etc. All necessary and mandatory.

But, if you go for a lunch break to a local cafe or to grab supplies down the road then you should be able to do that without people filming you unless you're doing something wrong. Then they can upload it anonymously to my website: www.2dogs-2wrong.com.au

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

True. The parallel though is cameras throughout police stations, interview rooms, holding cells etc. All necessary and mandatory.

But, if you go for a lunch break to a local cafe or to grab supplies down the road then you should be able to do that without people filming you unless you're doing something wrong. Then they can upload it anonymously to my website: www.2dogs-2wrong.com.au
    We have to get that website up and running.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

So this is how BT is on a hangover...…….
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully, it seems the narrative around Hunter is at worst he is stripped of the vice captaincy. The initial response here of a few to knife him completely was pretty harsh so I'm glad no one is publicly suggesting it either.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Thankfully, it seems the narrative around Hunter is at worst he is stripped of the vice captaincy. The initial response here of a few to knife him completely was pretty harsh so I'm glad no one is publicly suggesting it either.
    From a footy perspective the word seems to be a 2 to 3 game suspension and loss of the vice captaincy and leadership positions.

All in all a decent outcome for him but he will need some support in the short term. You called it correctly early on, a good learning moment for both Hunter and the whole club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So this is how BT is on a hangover...…….
    Nah, start drinking early, finish the hangover early. It really is much better.

I just won't take a backward step on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Libba was better for the tough, but fair, learning lesson. I hope a new VC freshens up the bad start to the year and that Lachie turns the anguish around this into taking his game yo the next level. I think the events of Smith having his name in the papers for bad reasons will just drive him harder too. Longer term, I see or at least hope everyone and the club comes out of this better.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, start drinking early, finish the hangover early. It really is much better.

I just won't take a backward step on this.
    Well I'm glad you seem to have changed your position on whether it's appropriate to take images of police doing what you believe to be the wrong thing......because going to the local police station, or IBAC or anywhere without evidence one way or another is pretty pointless.

Anyway, is Kane Cornes all of a sudden the biggest voice in football for some reason? I actually don't mind him sometimes, I just don't know how it happened.

He's taken a fairly reasoned view here, and unless there's some extraordinary circumstances we're not aware of he's probably on the mark.

Rougheads' expressed view was an interesting one. Nobody asked him to feel comfortable in doing what he had to do, he just had to do it. You know, getting out of your comfort zone is part of being a leader and I think having senior peers have input into sanctions is actually a good thing. The players have to execute the standard, they should have some input into setting and enforcing it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From a footy perspective the word seems to be a 2 to 3 game suspension and loss of the vice captaincy and leadership positions.

All in all a decent outcome for him but he will need some support in the short term. You called it correctly early on, a good learning moment for both Hunter and the whole club.
    With the limited games this year, would you take 2-3 games or $10,000 fine.

I'd give him the fine with a suspended 2 game suspension if he falters again this year. The club could do with the cash too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well I'm glad you seem to have changed your position on whether it's appropriate to take images of police doing what you believe to be the wrong thing......because going to the local police station, or IBAC or anywhere without evidence one way or another is pretty pointless.

Anyway, is Kane Cornes all of a sudden the biggest voice in football for some reason? I actually don't mind him sometimes, I just don't know how it happened.

He's taken a fairly reasoned view here, and unless there's some extraordinary circumstances we're not aware of he's probably on the mark.

Rougheads' expressed view was an interesting one. Nobody asked him to feel comfortable in doing what he had to do, he just had to do it. You know, getting out of your comfort zone is part of being a leader and I think having senior peers have input into sanctions is actually a good thing. The players have to execute the standard, they should have some input into setting it.
    I guess BAD could take the images of the police doing nothing wrong to IBAC. Which was the originating side discussion, and to which that refers.

I thought Cornes was a full time firefighter. Hutchy has him signed to his stable, maybe he wants to groom him into something bigger. I thought he was a bit lightweight, but he pulled no punches on Wingard even when it looked like he may walk. With Terry Wallace to step back from trade radio, I can't see Cornes getting elevated inside Hutchy's stable again. He might have to choose between firefighting or media.

I think he's dead right, it's better if Hunter step down in contrition than strip him of it.

Post Thanks / Like

With the limited games this year, would you take 2-3 games or $10,000 fine.

I'd give him the fine with a suspended 2 game suspension if he falters again this year. The club could do with the cash too.
    Is $10K or $5K the maximum fine that can be issued?
    I’d imagine any fine would be donated to charity.
    More of an In Bruges guy?