Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Drink Driving

Interesting to read that apparently Paul Connors was the one providing advice to Hunter and to a lesser extent Smith and Gowers and he manages all three players.

Disappointing Hunter rang Connors first and not the club. Although I am not surprised it occurred that way.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL legends disagree with Eddie McGuire’s stance on Lachie Hunter

AFL greats Tim Watson and Garry Lyon have rejected Eddie McGuire’s comments after a heated debate on live TV last night.

AFL legends Tim Watson and Garry Lyon have rejected suggestions from Eddie McGuire the media would badger Lachie Hunter “until he cries” after the footy star’s alleged drink driving incident.

The Western Bulldogs vice-captain, who has since relinquished his leadership role, has copped a four-match ban and been fined $5000, with another $15,000 in fines suspended, after allegedly crashing into four parked cars while under the influence of alcohol in Melbourne last week.

Hunter has been kept away from reporters as the Dogs instead released a video message from the 25-year-old apologising for his actions on the club’s website.

McGuire and respected AFL journalist Caroline Wilson butted heads on Channel 9’s Footy Classified over whether players should have to face the press after off-field incidents such as Hunter’s.

Collingwood president McGuire doesn’t believe players already under such duress should be forced to face the cameras, while Wilson argues clubs need to understand facing tough questions will actually make players more resilient.

“My point is this, in that situation with Lachie Hunter – people who have not been on the front page of the paper under enormous attack don’t understand what it means to you and your family,” McGuire said during a lengthy back-and-forth with Wilson.

“His sisters were being doorstopped (by reporters) coming out of the house, all that sort of stuff. The media want him to do a press conference so they can browbeat him until he cries. That’s what they want.”

When that was refuted by Wilson, McGuire added: “You don’t watch A Current Affair? All these stories. That’s exactly what it is. Caro, c’mon. You kick people to death when you get the chance.

“Here’s a kid who is under enormous pressure, he’s done everything right to that stage. He gives of himself, and you know what, it’s like when you apologise, ‘Oh he didn’t apologise enough, or he didn’t apologise the day before or he didn’t do this and didn’t do that’. You’re on a hiding to nothing. He gave his grab, that’s all he needed to say, move on.”

Essendon icon Watson, who has forged successful radio and TV careers after retiring from footy, thought McGuire was getting it wrong.

“I don’t think (McGuire’s comments) are fair,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“I don’t think what Eddie is saying is correct. They don’t want to make people cry.

“What they want is they want to hear from the person who was directly involved and there were people who were camped outside Hunter’s house yesterday and I would have suggested that at some point the Bulldogs should have put him up to be questioned by the media.

“I think under those circumstances that is reasonable.

“No one wanted to browbeat him, no one wanted to make him cry – they just want to hear directly from him and ask him questions and have him answer those questions.

“He’s a 25-year-old, he’s considered to be a leader of that club, it was reasonable that he would have been able to do that.”

Melbourne great Lyon, who like Watson has become a mainstay in the AFL media, said Hunter’s standing at the club meant he should have fronted the press.

“I think every case needs to be taken on an individual basis and he is the vice-captain of that football club,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

“He’s not a second-year player. He is the vice-captain. I think that would have been fair game.”

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Eddie.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So Tim Watson is going to make his son front the media and announce where his Brownlow Medal actually is??

"I think under those circumstances that is reasonable."

7. Likes Sedat, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If any media outlet does go after him they will lose me from their audience

I think Eddie has got this one wrong and I'm not overly interested in what Watson's says and even less with Lyon
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If any media outlet does go after him they will lose me from their audience

I think Eddie has got this one wrong and I'm not overly interested in what Watson's says and even less with Lyon
    So are you saying you don't agree with anyone?

The lust for a public flogging is huge, and the media literally wouldn't have uncovered anything of value the public wasn't already aware of.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The lust for a public flogging is huge, and the media literally wouldn't have uncovered anything of value the public wasn't already aware of.
    Agreed, I can't see what sticking him in front of reporters again would particularly achieve. It's all a pretty sorry saga, but in a regular season this would be considered old news already.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So are you saying you don't agree with anyone?

In this instance I don't agree that the media will go after Hunter as Eddie expects and I never listen to Watson or Lyon. I'm not sure how that adds up to not agreeing with anyone
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you guys have noticed, but it's not like there's a ton of AFL news to report on at the moment. As much as I love retrospective drafting and best ever fat bloke teams, they're going to beat the breaks off this.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

In this instance I don't agree that the media will go after Hunter as Eddie expects and I never listen to Watson or Lyon. I'm not sure how that adds up to not agreeing with anyone

They have been skewering him all week. The obsession the media have for this story is starting to get plain unhealthy and they need to reel it in before their is a REAL tragedy. .
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I actually meant either.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add to this thread that Paul Connors strikes me as a dead set drongo.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Lyon says Hunter should front the media.
    This coming from the bloke who back doored his mate and hid from media scrutiny playing the mental health card!

Post Thanks / Like

Lyon’s got some nerve
    What’s the difference ? The media get all their stories and info from social media anyway !