Thanks Thanks:  43
Likes Likes:  213
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter charged with Dink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    So an interest in horse racing/punting is an indication of poor character?
    Read my comment again. YOU put the word poor in there.

I think Lachie is a child of his environment and don't find this incident at all surprising.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Let alone the fact that we all know what is and isn't permitted as essential travel in this current environment. 1) Leaving his home to pick Hunter up is already a poor error of judgement
    2) Add in driving him, not straight to his home but to a mate's place, is another black mark. 3) And upon arriving at the scene, and even if Hunter was imploring him not to report the incident to police, seeing 4 smashed cars and a potentially pissed teammate should have been a no-brainer for Smith to alert the police or at least Peter Gordon or Ameet Bains.

I can't see how anybody can excuse Smith's very poor judgement and decision making thoughout the course of the evening. That's not to say he didn't act with the best of intentions, but quite simply he screwed up big time.
    Bailey was presumably at the scene, as the scene was his girlfriend's house. Perhaps there was a reason that Lachie wasn't able to go back to his house, and was (stupidly) driving himself somewhere to get away from his own home.

As a 19 year old, I was in a car accident where my car spun and crashed into a bus stop. I called a tow truck, I called my parents, but it didn't cross my mind to call the police as nobody was hurt and it was not an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

I think Lachie is a child of his environment and don't find this incident at all surprising.
    Ok - you didn't say the word poor, but the inference is clear.
    Bornadog said he was an unlikely character to do this sort of thing - and you responded that he is a known party boy with a racing/punting background and a long connection to footy culture. And then above went over it again with the child of his environment comment.

So you are questioning his character due to his environment of his father's involvement in racing and footy, and the party reference I guess with whoever his friends are. Thats fine if thats your opinion, just own it if you think that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Bailey was presumably at the scene, as the scene was his girlfriend's house. Perhaps there was a reason that Lachie wasn't able to go back to his house, and was (stupidly) driving himself somewhere to get away from his own home.

As a 19 year old, I was in a car accident where my car spun and crashed into a bus stop. I called a tow truck, I called my parents, but it didn't cross my mind to call the police as nobody was hurt and it was not an emergency.
    I read he had an argument with his Fiance and didn't want to go back home. Ended up sleeping at his sisters place after leaving Billy's place.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Lachie is an absolute dickhead here.

Dont really see that Bailey has done much wrong. Didn't hide anything and made sure his friend was safe. He is 19.
    So the laws around driving, and leaving the scene of an accident should be fairly fresh in his mind. He helped Hunter break the law.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    So the laws around driving, and leaving the scene of an accident should be fairly fresh in his mind. He helped Hunter break the law.
    I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Feel a bit for Smith, and we do need to know the full story.

He's been thrust into a situation not of his creation....and do we know they (Bailey & Lachie) knew the cops had been called? Police aren't required to attend every car accident.

But if they knew and just took off, to anywhere but Hunter's house no less, it's an incredibly stupid direction to take.

Heard little bits of Bevo on SEN with Bob yesterday, seemed in a jovial mood - I can only imagine how he'd feel now....and I reckon a Bevo spray for such behavior could be reasonably fierce.
    Sorry to quote myself, but an update - just saw a 9 report, it does seem he knew the police had been called.

Far out.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what your responsibilities are in the case of being involved in an accident:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...sponsibilities
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Will Hayes will be next by that rationale.

11. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Will Hayes will be next by that rationale.
    He'll be happy that a spot on the wing has suddenly opened up for him when the season resumes
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those saying this is the worst time for this to happen from a negative PR perspective, I think it's the opposite. With every change and update to the proposed season etc, the draft, the next drama... the news cycle moves on and journos starved for morsels will cling on to the next thing.

For example, the UFC's Jon Jones is a top 3 star in his sport and the longest reigning champion in the UFC. He was arrested less than 2 weeks ago and while it exploded at the time, it's barely making a ripple now. It did help that the president of the UFC started planning events to be fought on an island, but you get my point.

Lachie deserves an almighty whack but the world will move on.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a known party boy from a horse racing, punting background with a long connection to footy culture. Seems totally unlikely.

Yes. It's completely ridiculous.

What the hell is going on with the apologists in this thread? I can't believe what in reading.

All the people involved in this knew it was wrong, and thought they could run/hide/cover it up. There's no other way to look at it. None. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Serious penalties need to be handed out over this - this isn't something to just dismiss.
    Hang on a second, didn't a report say Smith called the Police? If so I'm calling BS on the bolded part. I don't think anyone thought anything was getting covered up. Hunter gave his details to neighbours. Pretty shit effort to hide it if that's the intent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I read he had an argument with his Fiance and didn't want to go back home. Ended up sleeping at his sisters place after leaving Billy's place.
    What part of 'stay home unless it is essential travel' doesn't he understand? Add that to the list of laws he has broken in a rather calamitous few hours.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying Bailey did the right thing, they are just saying they can understand what he did, given his age and most likely immaturity.
    I don't understand the criticism Smith is copping here.

It's not like he was several suburbs away, got a call from Hunter, drove over to the scene of the accident and helped Hunter make a getaway.

Rather, the accident happened in the street where Smith was, he saw Hunter gives his details and couldn't invite him in as it breached social distancing rules. He offered Hunter a lift, or Hunter asked for one. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose where he went. It is Hunter's responsibility to choose to continue drinking when he got there.

Alternatively, you are suggesting that Smith should have refused to give his team mate a lift unless it was to the player's home. I do not believe that was Smith's responsibility.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

19. Likes Topdog, dadsgirl16, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Here's what your responsibilities are in the case of being involved in an accident:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...sponsibilities
    From that information alone he doesn't seem to have broken any rules. Is there another rule concerning staying at the scene if driving under the influence or something?

21. Likes Dry Rot liked this post