1 12.50%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

7 87.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020

I thought with the delay of the football it's time to assess our list so I hope I've started this in the right way.
    We can evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020

A few stats:
    Height: 203cm
    Weight: 106Kg
    Games:0

South Australian product Jordon Sweet made his way to Victoria University Whitten Oval via pick 23 in the 2018 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. The crafty ruckman had a terrific season for North Adelaide in state league competition, culminating in being a member of the Rooster's SANFL premiership side. Sweet is competitive and versatile, and can alternate between the ruck and a key forward post. The South Australian played 17 matches for the Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL in 2019, and is yet to make his AFL debut.
    LINK

Post Thanks / Like

I am going with needs more time. His fitness level is not there yet, but has shown at VFL level to be a good tap ruckman and has kicked a couple of ripper goals out of the ruck throw in.

I would keep him as a rookie for a couple of more years and then reassess if he is up to AFL level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am going with needs more time. His fitness level is not there yet, but has shown at VFL level to be a good tap ruckman and has kicked a couple of ripper goals out of the ruck throw in.

I would keep him as a rookie for a couple of more years and then reassess if he is up to AFL level.
    I rate him about the same but I'm not sure there will be rookie lists going forward. He must be retained on the senior list if that is the case
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I rate him about the same but I'm not sure there will be rookie lists going forward. He must be retained on the senior list if that is the case
    Delist Trengove?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Delist Trengove?
    No I kept him in the list with the MJP thread about getting down to 33 players

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could we just throw him to the wolves for a few games even if we carry him a little.
    No good this season but maybe the next. Give the equal ruck time with Timmy and he has a stronger body against the likes of Gawn and Grundy. So it shouldn't be any worse than Timmy getting his arse handed to him.
    I'm in the more time category.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Could we just throw him to the wolves for a few games even if we carry him a little.
    No good this season but maybe the next. Give the equal ruck time with Timmy and he has a stronger body against the likes of Gawn and Grundy. So it shouldn't be any worse than Timmy getting his arse handed to him.
    I'm in the more time category.
    Maybe, prefer he earns his spot though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Maybe, prefer he earns his spot though
    I would like to see Sweet treated the same way as English, who definitely did not earn his spot.

(I thought at the time that English was one of our best draft choices in the last 20 years, and still do, but I am baffled by how he has been utilised.)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching our 2016 season since there 's no other footy happening and we did very good in the centre with Campbell and Roughead in tandem. We didn't get monstered by the likes of Gawn, Grundy and Mumford at the centre bounce. This is not counting around the ground hit outs because of the 3rd man up.
    But could Sweet benefit with some senior games under his belt and add support for Timmy. Earning your spot is fair enough but a taste gives him an idea of what is needed at the top level even if it games that are picked where he becomes less of a risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I would like to see Sweet treated the same way as English, who definitely did not earn his spot.

(I thought at the time that English was one of our best draft choices in the last 20 years, and still do, but I am baffled by how he has been utilised.)
    When English arrived at the club we had an established ruck paring and he could be eased into games. We now don't have that same luxury with Sweet unless we just drop English for a few games to develop Sweet. Even then we might favor Trengove

Given we added Bruce to the key forwards list and have Naughton and Schache we can't really slide English into the forward line either

I just can't see how we develop Sweet if we are going to play English

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching our 2016 season since there 's no other footy happening and we did very good in the centre with Campbell and Roughead in tandem. We didn't get monstered by the likes of Gawn, Grundy and Mumford at the centre bounce. This is not counting around the ground hit outs because of the 3rd man up.
    But could Sweet benefit with some senior games under his belt and add support for Timmy. Earning your spot is fair enough but a taste gives him an idea of what is needed at the top level even if it games that are picked where he becomes less of a risk.
    Could we play both of them in the same games? Perhaps for a couple of games but I'd say it's unlikely unless we have an extended bench

Post Thanks / Like

Sweety didn't do bad against Goldstein earlier this year. Yes it was a practice match but I would like to keep him. Plenty of upside with a bit of mongrel in him too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Sweety didn't do bad against Goldstein earlier this year. Yes it was a practice match but I would like to keep him. Plenty of upside with a bit of mongrel in him too.
    Yep, has to be retained even if a reduced list is implemented. We have a surplus of defenders we should look to reduce before we consider dropping a ruckman who's best football is in front of him

Post Thanks / Like

I so agree with this. Am on record saying Campbell should have been given more opportunities. He really did ok in ruck in the few games 2016 I have watched again - I am up to round 9 or 10 when we beat Pies. He and Rough did ok against Gawn in round 7 or 8 at the ‘G.