Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

18 down to 16 players on the field

SEN are discussing the merit of reducing the number of players on the field down to 16 a side
    Apparently the AFL is considering it.
    I can recall the old VFA days where it was the point of difference between that competition and the VFL

There appears to be a number of coaches that favor it and many of the people calling in seem to think it has merit in opening the game up. I'm not convinced

So does anyone have some thoughts on this? Would it improve the game and what might be the downside to it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 18 down to 16 players on the field

Back in the days when the VFA deleted the wing players there were a number of times that the ball seemed to have nobody within cooee of it. This resulted in several seconds of dead TV time while we all waited for a player to arrive.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

3. Likes bornadog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The AFLW already plays with 16 players and the congestion still exists. I don't believe congestion will be eliminated if that is the reason to reduce the number of players. If it is to save money by reducing players on the field and on the bench and hence list size, well it would achieve that. But, do we want to change the game for financial reasons?

if the AFL really wants to do this, then it must be trialed extensively to see the impact.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Back in the days when the VFA deleted the wing players there were a number of times that the ball seemed to have nobody within cooee of it. This resulted in several seconds of dead TV time while we all waited for a player to arrive.
    I remember that to. The players are vastly fitter now which should reduce the chances of that happening

I think they're considering 16 on the ground and 6 on the bench

Post Thanks / Like

Can they just f*ck off with these bullshit change suggestions.

This has got to be the most fatiguing league to follow in the world, just constant bullshit from the top and all the way through the associated media.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

This has got to be the most fatiguing league to follow in the world, just constant bullshit from the top and all the way through the associated media.
    They quizzed Gill about this the other day, only sporting code considering fundamental changes to the code

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Lots of changes to the game since around the beginning of the 90s when the AFL seemingly took over the running of the game from the National Football League. Not one change has enhanced the game.
    Last edited by bornadog; 20-04-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So.….I'll say it again, coaches are inherently defencively minded first. This means that they will just clog up as much space as they can with 16 players instead of 18 players. This means there's going to be two less options to give the ball to on the way out of defence.

It will do nothing for scoring and won't materially change congestion where coaches deem congestion necessary.

Incentivise the coaches to kick more goals and they will kick more goals.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Thanks FrediKanoute thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lots of changes to the game since around end the 90s when the AFL seemingly took over the running of the game from the National Football League. Not one change has enhanced the game.
    Cmon BAD, thats not true.

Have a look here.....

https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Cmon BAD, thats not true.

Have a look here.....

https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes
    Actually I should have said from early 90's as that is when AFL took over. More changes than ever before during that period compared to pre 90s

the first rules penned 1858 and we still want to change the game some 162 years later

Post Thanks / Like

Why the fascination with fundamental change? Cricket has done it well, have another format for different variants. They tweak the odd rule here or there in test cricket, but it's still the same product fundamentally.

If they want to reduce wages, just say so. What happened in any/all the games last year or the games in Round 1 to put this on the table? Is the plan to bring fans back by changing a fundamental rule? Really? There's nothing wrong with change per se, but change for the sake of change with no case for it... The echo chamber in AFEL House desperately needs to be broken.

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The weird part about most recent rule changes is that they designed to 'clear congestion' - yet the third man up rule (which actually did clear congestion) was brought in as part of recent rule changes.

I think some of Clarko's suggestions (e.g. "team prior") would have a greater impact.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The weird part about most recent rule changes is that they designed to 'clear congestion' - yet the third man up rule (which actually did clear congestion) was brought in as part of recent rule changes.

I think some of Clarko's suggestions (e.g. "team prior") would have a greater impact.
    The trouble is every rule change complicates the officiating of the game. Imagine the umpire trying to keep tabs on which team has prior opportunity - I can see all sorts of issues. Just go back to the old rule on holding the ball like it used to be pre 1996

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why the fascination with fundamental change? Cricket has done it well, have another format for different variants. They tweak the odd rule here or there in test cricket, but it's still the same product fundamentally.

If they want to reduce wages, just say so. What happened in any/all the games last year or the games in Round 1 to put this on the table? Is the plan to bring fans back by changing a fundamental rule? Really? There's nothing wrong with change per se, but change for the sake of change with no case for it... The echo chamber in AFEL House desperately needs to be broken.
    Cricket has introduced different versions of the game to appeal to a changing landscape but Test cricket is still 11 v 11 with a maximum of 5 days of competition. It's still requires 20 wickets etc

I think the AFL are using the Covid 19 as a chance to shorten quarters to appease the TV operators and to mess around with the game. Moving from 18 to 16 is a significant change and should be trialed in preseason games not implemented into an already compromised season
    We changed some rules last year and haven't given them a chance to develop

I just need to hear a bit more on the reasons behind it more that just the visuals of the game

Post Thanks / Like

I can handle some of the tinkering around the edges but changing the players on the field is just too fundamental change to the game. I just don't think it's necessary either and can't see any great benefit. Are soccer considering reducing to 10 players to increase scoring? Might as well just introduce multi ball while we are at it.

21. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, josie liked this post