Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 18 down to 16 players on the field

Players will fatigue more and skills will drop off and also don't forget soft tissue injuries, the game will go backwards in a bad way.
    Then they will try and introduce more rule changes to fix up the shitty changes they did the first time and the never ending cycle continues.
    I think half of this is because management is too top heavy and employees trying to justify their pay packet.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Players will fatigue more and skills will drop off and also don't forget soft tissue injuries, the game will go backwards in a bad way.
    Then they will try and introduce more rule changes to fix up the shitty changes they did the first time and the never ending cycle continues.
    I think half of this is because management is too top heavy and employees trying to justify their pay packet.
    Over 500 people in AFL house. That is where you can save money.

At club land leave everything as is, ie player lists, coaching and football department
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Back in the days when the VFA deleted the wing players there were a number of times that the ball seemed to have nobody within cooee of it. This resulted in several seconds of dead TV time while we all waited for a player to arrive.
    That used to happen in VFL footy too back in the day. It's more to do with player fitness than the amount of players on the ground I reckon.

The idea was to cut the wings but coaches weren't onboard with that and tended to remove the forward pockets instead. It meant there were lots of key forwards kicking big bags of goals every week
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the idea of shortened quarters beyond this year (ok for this year due to more games squeezed in over a week due to extraordinary circumstances). And I hate the idea of fewer on ground players too. No need for it from a fan perspective and detracts from the game we love. I like the fact endurance is part of the game and the chance of late quarter comebacks so the shorter quarter sucks part of that potential comeback away. And the 16 players idea - Grrrr- lets just make it non contact 11 a side and call it soccer with a weird shaped ball then.

And whilst I am grumbling.....I loved the 3rd man up at ruck in 2016. Not only did we benefit but I thought it added interest and if you are as good as Grundy then you’ll still ruck to advantage a lot anyway. And what happened to dropping the ball rule? Had it been officially removed because if it has not and if they applied it properly then quite a few congested passages of play would disappear.
    Last edited by josie; 20-04-2020 at 09:53 PM.

5. Likes bulldogtragic, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why?

I mean apart from the fact they can't help themselves.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So.….I'll say it again, coaches are inherently defencively minded first. This means that they will just clog up as much space as they can with 16 players instead of 18 players. This means there's going to be two less options to give the ball to on the way out of defence.

It will do nothing for scoring and won't materially change congestion where coaches deem congestion necessary.

Incentivise the coaches to kick more goals and they will kick more goals.
    I agree. Was a dumb idea for the VFA and didn't really add anything and is a dumb idea for the AFL. LEAVE the F!*KING game alone

8. Likes josie, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a historical precedent (and current in AFLW). The flaw is that these changes are trying to manipulate a game style. On that front, all the AFL rule changes have been folly. There is no prescriptive measure of what is a good game of footy. It's a contest. The appeal is within the contest.

16 players, bigger bench, adjust time on rules, extra players on the list, more games for a full home and away season. I could live with those type of changes if they were carefully introduced and rationalised. But not rule changes to cultivate a particular style of footy.