Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Relive the night Western Bulldogs ended Essendon’s 20-game winning streak with ‘super flood’

I was away skiing at Mount Hotham with mates and didn't know we had won until the next day......no mobile handheld TV's back then!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Relive the night Western Bulldogs ended Essendon’s 20-game winning streak with ‘super flood’

I watched this with a few mates in a friend's bungalow and had an argument or two. It was great seeing Chris kick that last goal and noting how much he literally dominated that game playing pretty much everywhere.

Most underrated player to play the game by a stretch. If we had have gotten there in the late nineties his legacy would be so so much different.

Whereas Carey had competition elite and rock solid players around him during that time, Chris's support was just a notch under and couldn't help him get it done.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba did a ripper tackle on Alessio? I thought this was a pivotal moment too. The atmosphere was electric and in my mind only the atmosphere of the GWS prelim and the Grandfinal in 2016 surpassed it.

I remember Johnno peeking out side of face when on ground to see reactions. Not saying he was not hurt and I know Barnes hit was nasty, but Johnno also made the most out of it and our players responded well - like a rallying cry.

Also have very fond memories of my beloved brother (who died 5 years ago) who had travelled down from interstate with his wife joining me and my husband for this match - they were Bomber supporters convinced as all Bomber fans were it was fair a complit they were going to win that night and we were Doggy members hoping against logic that we would pull a rabbit out of a hat. Of course that’s just what Plough did.

It was like our grand final and to give that Bombers team due credit I recall Wallace in presser saying something like they were ones that created the buzz or the history by winning so many games in one season in a row. He was a mighty good coach for us for quite a while. Enjoy his analysis and will also be sorry to see him retire.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Libba did a ripper tackle on Alessio?
    Scott Lucas if I recall correctly.

6. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Scott Lucas if I recall correctly.
    I think he laid a couple of great tackles on him that night
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I remember the bit of commentary you're talking about.

Bruce said something along the lines of "a few years ago he missed one I said Carey would have kicked, this is one you feel he needs to get. He delivered".

I remember I was home sick from work that night, which was a shame because the family that ran the pizza shop I worked for were mostly Essendon supporters, save the family patriarch, who was a Magpie.

We had the whole family at home, when the siren went, my dad (who NEVER was active watching the footy at home, different story at the ground), jumped up and victoriously fist-pumped, my mother was squealing with excitement, and my younger brother and I were jump-hugging around the loungeroom.

That half time fight was a beauty. Scott Wynd and Jose Romero went straight for John Barnes, Gary Moorcroft charged from the bench purely to have a swing at Libba (from the massive gash on Libba's eye, we can assume he succeeeded), Kretiuk manage to find a fight of his own, Mitch Hahn was left with the job of holding back a semi-conscious Brad Johnson and Terry Wallace took the time to briefly address his troops on the ground before they met a widely varying ovation as the headed down the race.
    And IIRC that was related to a set shot at half time against the Eagles when they answered our 8 goal first quarter with 8 of their own in the 2nd.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he laid a couple of great tackles on him that night
    He did. Ran him down twice. One led directly to a goal in the 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    And IIRC that was related to a set shot at half time against the Eagles when they answered our 8 goal first quarter with 8 of their own in the 2nd.
    I remember that night. One goal umpire signalled the first 19 goals of the match. 8 of ours and 8 of theirs at one end, then 3 more of theirs to start the 2nd half at the other end.

Post Thanks / Like

It was so sweet. I remember all season having just an inkling that we might be the ones to end their run and hoping like hell we would. I've always felt the players share our dislike of the Bombres and there's always some extra edge to all our encounters.

The scenes afterwards were amazing....Bulldogs fans who didn't know each other hugged, laughed and cried...and our song was sung umpteen times as we left the stadium.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic