Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy isn't far away

All the media speculation is indicating the footy will be back in some form perhaps as early as June
    I doubt there will be any crowd involvement but footy looks like it's back

Is anyone excited by this?

I also keep hearing that there will be an asterisk alongside any team that wins the competition this year but I dispute that
    This will be a hell of a test for all clubs

I hope our players are ramping up their training as the return might not be too far away
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

I must admit it is hard to get excited, with no crowds, but I am still looking forward to it.

Players really have to change their mindset about the crowds. Mitch Robinson summed it up for many players when he said, round one felt like they were playing a practise match, and that is what our players looked like.

Having this isolation period may give players itchy feet and really can't wait to get going.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be something to watch - so that's a positive. A footy fix is always good, even if it was a practice game.

Am I excited? Not really. I would prefer we win - as always - but even if we did win the whole thing, while enjoyable, it wouldn't feel the same.

Hopefully the players feel differently and attack the season as they otherwise would, but on a personal level, I'm not sure I'll be as passionate about winning as I ordinarily would be.

4. Likes Eastdog, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My missing of footy is balanced out by my fear of how undermanned our defense is so I'm kind of neutral to it all.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm. I know it was only 1 game but with our last 2 performances being nothing short of deplorable my confidence for the season has been shot. If we come out and start playing at a level more in line with our pre-season expectations I will get much more excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    My missing of footy is balanced out by my fear of how undermanned our defense is so I'm kind of neutral to it all.
    I have to ask, we have essentially replaced Morris with Keath so why are undermanned now and not last year or during the trade period last year?

Post Thanks / Like

Asterix or not it will be three premierships and it will still be three premierships until we win a fourth.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Round 1 has really put a dampener on my enthusiasm. I know it was only 1 game but with our last 2 performances being nothing short of deplorable my confidence for the season has been shot. If we come out and start playing at a level more in line with our pre-season expectations I will get much more excited.
    I think you are on to something there. Our performance in round one really seemed to sap the confidence of the supporter base for the 2020 season. While it was a poor performance, we should all be confident that we are vastly better than that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It'll be something to watch - so that's a positive. A footy fix is always good, even if it was a practice game.

Am I excited? Not really. I would prefer we win - as always - but even if we did win the whole thing, while enjoyable, it wouldn't feel the same.

Hopefully the players feel differently and attack the season as they otherwise would, but on a personal level, I'm not sure I'll be as passionate about winning as I ordinarily would be.
    I see this year as a significant challenge with the likely scenario of games being crammed together. Whoever wins it this year will have conquered a massive challenge

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have to ask, we have essentially replaced Morris with Keath so why are undermanned now and not last year or during the trade period last year?
    We were undermanned last year but were only exposed against better teams, or when our mids decide to phone it in. The same will happen until Naughton goes back.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were undermanned last year but were only exposed against better teams, or when our mids decide to phone it in. The same will happen until Naughton goes back.
    But we had the best defence in the AFL in the second half.

Our mids were the issue in the last two games, not defence.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you actually pushing for us to trade for another key defender like Howard or did you just assume that because we flagged interest in Bruce that Naughton would automatically return to the back line?

The thing is that as a club we sold it to the members that we could play Naughton, Bruce and Schache alongside of each other in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But we had the best defence in the AFL in the second half.

Our mids were the issue in the last two games, not defence.
    That defence included Trengove. The MC seem to have stamped his papers, given he hardly got a look in all pre-season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That defence included Trengove. The MC seem to have stamped his papers, given he hardly got a look in all pre-season.
    Perplexing approach isn't it? If true then we should have made more list changes at the end of the season and addressed the area of concern

Post Thanks / Like

One of the areas that the Essendon players struggled with including Crameri was while they could train and get the miles into their legs it was the lack of physicality of their training sessions and getting their bodies ready for the contact that footy provides. I hope that we have found a way of addressing that with our guys over over the last month or two