Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

For mine the game comes first, it is what provides the players with their fantastic income and prestige.
    The players are well remunerated for the demands of the game and there are plenty of careers that involve periods of absence from family. The need for safe practice of the game is a very valid reason to have hubs.
    If individual players wish to not ply their trade then they forgo their right to be paid for that period and replacement players should be recruited.
    If hubs provide a safe scenario then the game must be played. The benefit to clubs, supporters, society and the players is enormous. We can beat this thing.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, yes, there are plenty of careers that require periods of absence from family. But under normal conditions, the wife and young kids of a player would be able to draw on the support of extended family, grandparents, friends etc while their partner is away. That's not possible at the moment.

So I have some sympathy for players who might be reluctant to leave their spouses coping alone with little kids and probably work for an extended period. The players chose this profession, the partners didn't.

4. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, yes, there are plenty of careers that require periods of absence from family. But under normal conditions, the wife and young kids of a player would be able to draw on the support of extended family, grandparents, friends etc while their partner is away. That's not possible at the moment.

So I have some sympathy for players who might be reluctant to leave their spouses coping alone with little kids and probably work for an extended period. The players chose this profession, the partners didn't.
    Those visiting restrictions are already being lifted in other states and are likely to be lifted in Victoria in the coming weeks (fingers crossed). Family and friends can already care for children in Victoria at least as well.

The players are also enjoying (or enduring) family time at the moment they would never normally have the opportunity to experience as they would normally be training, playing and travelling to games. Swings and roundabouts.

The 20 week hub thing is a worst case scenario anyway. With any luck that won't be required.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Murph's Lore that this is a major consideration for a small minority if players and their families. They may choose to withold their services accordingly. Most players do not have children and even fewer have multiple children. Grant them a seasons leave if so chosen or part thereof and have recruitment of replacements to allow the game and its associated benefits to proceed. The loss of income from a season cancelled would have devastating consequences including loss of career for many employees in the industry.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 01-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it Murph but how is this different to the example I already provided of the 10's of '000's of FIFO workers in exactly the same situation...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I get it Murph but how is this different to the example I already provided of the 10's of '000's of FIFO workers in exactly the same situation...
    Yes, it's a fair point. FIFO isn't great for families either.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MJP about Dangerfield not being a good spokesman for the players Association. He is looked upon as a Figjam type and those type of leaders are never any good. Sport, politics or business.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Wednesday, in Victoria, teams can train in groups of 10. Footy a month away.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    From Wednesday, in Victoria, teams can train in groups of 10. Footy a month away.
    Will they be making some announcements tomorrow the AFL in terms of actual dates?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has now been given the best chance to kick start the season but this needs to be consistent across all states

Hopefully our players are ready to hit the ground running
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The other thing that keeps getting discussed the issue around hubs and the likely scenario that if they are implemented it will only be for a short term to get the season moving.

It will be interesting to hear from the club on how things are progressing for us.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....5e2268d47510e0

AFL 2020: Victoria announces state open for professional sport
    MAY 11, 2020 12:41PM
    AFL: Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has cleared the path for the AFL to return with new training exemptions announced.
    news.com.au

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed professional sporting organisations will be allowed to begin training from 11.59pm (AEST) on Tuesday night.
    Andrews said in a press briefing on Monday the move opens the door for footy to be back.

The special exemption for professional sporting organisations to begin training in large groups came as Victoria also relaxed restrictions to allow groups of up to 10 people to exercise together in the community.

The AFL, however, has been given the green light for its teams in Victoria to train together as one unit.

The clearance further complicates the AFL’s headache for a return to training with some interstate clubs still waiting for some players to complete their mandatory two-week quarantines after returning from interstate.

The move brings Victoria into line with other states, with the AFL now able to lift the training limit in the state from two people if and when it chooses. The AFL has previously limited players from all clubs to training in pairs despite some state governments — including South Australia and Western Australia — allowing for larger groups.

The league said that ruling was for the sake of competitive fairness, with the 10 Victorian clubs limited by their state government’s restrictions. But clubs are now hopeful the AFL-imposed training limit will be lifted to 10 within days.

The move to allow Victoria-based AFL clubs and the Melbourne Storm to begin training from Wednesday clears the way for the 2020 AFL season to resume on June 11, according to reports.

Andrews said it is up to the individual sporting organisations to announce their own plans — but was proud to suggest the announcement clears the way for footy to be back in coming weeks.

“Professional sport, after all it is a workplace, there’s been a lot of work between the AFL and the public health team and we have agreed to a set of arrangements that will allow training for AFL, for rugby league, for other professional sports to resume just before midnight tomorrow night,” Andrews said.

“Of course with that happening, once training is up and running again, that paves the way for the AFL and other codes to make announcements.

“Training returning paves the way for footy to be back and I think we all want that provided its safe, appropriate and can be done in a cautious way and I’m confident it can be.”

The AFL Commission is also meeting on Monday and the league is expected to announce its framework for the return to play as early as Monday evening.

The league has already confirmed the 2020 season will be shortened to a 17-round competition with a full finals fixture.

The AFL will have to work its return-to-play plans around Western Australia’s hard border controls as West Coast and Fremantle prepare to restart the season with extended runs of matches away from home.

WA Premier Mark McGowan on Sunday reaffirmed his government’s commitment to existing border and quarantine rules as part of the state’s bid to maintain a low rate of COVID-19 infection.

McGowan declared the border controls would be “the last thing to come down” as he revealed a staged plan for WA to gradually ease coronavirus restrictions. It means the Eagles and Dockers are increasingly likely to be required to temporarily relocate to Melbourne in order to restart the season, which could resume as early as June 11.

But there is some hope they could be given a quarantine exemption to fly in and out of their regular bases if the AFL can satisfy the WA government and police that it would be safe to do so.

The AFL will outline its return-to-play plan and club protocols in the coming days.

Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans expects the AFL will deliver the first phase of the revised fixture list and leave room for flexibility later in the season.

“We might get an announcement from the AFL around a start date and a proposed way forward, but we might get a month into the season and maybe restrictions have eased even further and we’ve got other options,” Evans told ABC Grandstand on Sunday.

“The prudent way forward is to give people a look at the first half of the season and to hold over (the rest in case) restrictions have eased.” Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt on Sunday said the AFL has worked “incredibly well in laying out a pathway” for its restart, including consulting with government and health authorities.

“I think we’ll get the footy back pretty soon,” Hunt told Sky Sunday Agenda. “I’ll leave the dates to the particular states that are reviewing the plan but they are putting forward careful plans.”

— with AAP
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

While it's not the same without the fans attending games, I'm starting to get a little excited about the footy restarting

I wonder if our guys are primed for the return

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear Whateley correctly?

"No AFL player will be permitted to play state leagues this season."

Doesn't that change things for the season ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Did I hear Whateley correctly?

"No AFL player will be permitted to play state leagues this season."

Doesn't that change things for the season ahead
    I hope we rotate our squad and give opportunities to everyone on the list to play this year, even if it means not being as competitive as we could be.

This year is a write off for me, and anyone who wins the 'flag' (if you want to call it that this year) has a giant asterix next to it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post