Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Like the 'right of challenge' if you finish top but got knocked out of the finals back in the VFL?
    From Wiki:

VFL/AFL premierships
    Most conventional grand finals are a single match at the end of a finals series where the winner of the match wins the premiership.

Under the early VFL finals systems from 1898–1930 (except 1924), the circumstances of the grand final were often different:

in twenty-nine of these years, the minor premiers had the right to challenge the winner of the finals series for the premiership, meaning the grand finals of this era were a mixture of challenge matches and non-challenge matches (which would have been followed by challenge matches had the minor premier been defeated), while in 1901, 1903 and 1906 there was no right of challenge. Regardless of the circumstances at that time, all of these games are now recognised as grand finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering clubs count their “challenge “ premierships
    This isn’t anything like that

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to be able to get to a game this year but the odds on that happening are very thin at the moment and I wonder if this will drag into next year as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Or go all out and take on the biggest challenge we have ever seen while others take a couple of months to get organised.
    It's there for the taking not the tanking and we should go hard for it.

I get the sentiment but stuff it
    I agree 100%. If we win it we will celebrate it (at a safe social distance or course) like it was 1999, oops, 1954 or 2016. And extend the middle finger to any opposition supporter who wants to dispute the value.

In fact, given the players are literally laying their lives on the line (we still don't know how dangerous contact really is) it's even a more valuable premiership IMO.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It'll just be another premiership in our favour that has a dot next to it apparently like 2016 did because we stole that one, had too many free kicks, got lucky with the pre finals bye or whatever reason......but it will be ours nonetheless like 2016 was.

This would be our lot in that case. We're better, we get criticised, we're worse, so on and so forth. Luckily the history books don't care much for populism.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It'll just be another premiership in our favour that has a dot next to it apparently like 2016 did because we stole that one, had too many free kicks, got lucky with the pre finals bye or whatever reason......but it will be ours nonetheless like 2016 was.

This would be our lot in that case. We're better, we get criticised, we're worse, so on and so forth. Luckily the history books don't care much for populism.
    Dots, asterisks or questions marks won't concern and I suggest it won't concern anyone else who follows us. We should go hard at trying to win it not tank the season as was suggested.
    I listened to the Sam Edmund Dean Bailey sacking story the other day and I'd hate to think we have the mindset that we were going to position ourselves for the following season. The 2020 season is going to be a tough one no doubt but if you get on a roll at some point who knows where it might take us.

I hope Bevo quickly gets into the players with the message is anything is possible and we are good enough to win it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Not only the history books, but new sponsors, members, players wanting success. Most (non bulldogs) people I speak to say that 2016 was probably the best finals series by a side ever, and you could certainly mount a strong argument for that position. This season it will be a compromised flag with a massive asterisk, unless the dogs win it.... Then second greatest ever

Post Thanks / Like

I saw interviews with both Bevo and Wood tonight and they're quite a contrasting style

Wood was all upbeat and Bevo comes across as knowing more than he can let on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Dots, asterisks or questions marks won't concern and I suggest it won't concern anyone else who follows us. We should go hard at trying to win it not tank the season as was suggested.
    I listened to the Sam Edmund Dean Bailey sacking story the other day and I'd hate to think we have the mindset that we were going to position ourselves for the following season. The 2020 season is going to be a tough one no doubt but if you get on a roll at some point who knows where it might take us.

I hope Bevo quickly gets into the players with the message is anything is possible and we are good enough to win it.
    Whichever team can pop out of the funk and put together a few early wins from now is going to be in a really good position. However, scoring heavily complementing a frugal defence will be key as well and I hope we understand this, as the wins column may not be the differentiator that it usually is with a shortened season.

After seventeen games things could be pretty tight.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Now here's an idea...

Football Club Apologises After Filling Stadium With Sex Dolls For A Game

Seoul FC had their first game back since the K-League came back following a break for Coronavirus. Faced with the problem all sport does, namely how to fill out empty stadiums, they were presented with a novel solution. Put it dolls. Dress them up in kits. Give them signs to hold.

On many levels it makes sense. They were even offered "premium mannequins" (the club were at pains to describe them as this in their formal apology online) for the purpose by a local company free of charge. What could possibly go wrong..?

Well, this. The place they got these "premium mannequins", you will be stunned to learn, is very much a sex shop and the dolls look - so we're told... ahem - quite a lot like the ones used for... well, y'know.

13. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So who will rise to the top in this outlier of a season? What teams will benefit and why? Will it be teams with strong cultures? Teams who are better disciplined? Will it be the harder working teams? Or will it simply be that, in the absence of formal, regular training, the more skilful teams will rise to the top?

Obviously there are a heap of different elements at play but it will be interesting to see if the normal "form lines", ie those teams predicted to do well, will continue this season or if it’ll be a total mixed bag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Now here's an idea...

Football Club Apologises After Filling Stadium With Sex Dolls For A Game

Seoul FC had their first game back since the K-League came back following a break for Coronavirus. Faced with the problem all sport does, namely how to fill out empty stadiums, they were presented with a novel solution. Put it dolls. Dress them up in kits. Give them signs to hold.

On many levels it makes sense. They were even offered "premium mannequins" (the club were at pains to describe them as this in their formal apology online) for the purpose by a local company free of charge. What could possibly go wrong..?

Well, this. The place they got these "premium mannequins", you will be stunned to learn, is very much a sex shop and the dolls look - so we're told... ahem - quite a lot like the ones used for... well, y'know.

Do you know if the dolls were moving during the game? Did the expressions on their faces change?

So very many questions.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Do you know if the dolls were moving during the game? Did the expressions on their faces change?

So very many questions.
    Not sure, but the technology seems to have come a long way from the old permanently shocked looking models.

With the AFL suggesting a bonk ban for the single players this could be a 2 birds, 1 stone situation.

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This must have been a practice game, one of them is signaling a super goal

19. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Channel 9

The government and health officials have granted Adelaide and PAFC permission to resume contact training from Monday.

The decision means they won’t have to fly to the Gold Coast on Sunday and opens the door for a possible Showdown in Adelaide.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.