Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Max King is too big for Keath, and Membrey is too strong for Cordy. Throw in a resting ruck and it's not a great match up for our defence (tbh there aren't many in the comp that are).
    On top of that Carlisle has gone forward against us and has caused match-up issues. Marshall is handy up forward as well

If it was up to me Young and/or Trengove would be right in the mix
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Max King is too big for Keath, and Membrey is too strong for Cordy. Throw in a resting ruck and it's not a great match up for our defence (tbh there aren't many in the comp that are).
    We really need our mids to defend and stop the quick ball into their forward 50. We have to give our defenders time to get back to cover and bring the ball to ground.

Gee it's great to have footy to talk about.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We really need our mids to defend and stop the quick ball into their forward 50. We have to give our defenders time to get back to cover and bring the ball to ground.

Gee it's great to have footy to talk about.
    I wish we didn't have to completely rely on our midfield dominating to protect our defence.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we didn't have to completely rely on our midfield dominating to protect our defence.
    But all teams do, that is the nature of the game these days.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not to the extent ours need protecting.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I agree, there is some silver lining;

1 - The way our midfield was categorically destroyed by GWS and Collingwood in the last two games, there isn't a defensive group in the league that could withstand that onslaught. Do I rate our back 6? No - it's not in the top 10, but in these two games our mids were slaughtered. I'm concerned it's happened in two big games - is our midfield mix right? We know we have one of the best midfields in the comp, but what's missing? Maybe they are two 'off' games which are unfortunately so close to one another and that as our group matures, it won't happen again.

2 - Trengove actually changes the set-up of our back six for the better. I don't really 'rate' him, but for now he needs to play most weeks. He allows others to play their natural intercept game (i.e. Keath and Wood/Young) and he isn't interested in getting 15+ disposals per game, as all our other defenders are. Long term we need some different options (I also don't rate Cordy), but short term he does balance our back 6 and - if needed - can play minutes in the ruck.

I'm hoping our coaching group never repeat the lineups v GWS and Collingwood ever again.

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Naughton doesn't play, I'd go in with:

OUT: Naughton, Gardner, Dale, Hunter
    IN: Trengove, Schache, Richards, Lipinski

B: Crozier Trengove Wood
    HB: JJ Keath Young
    C: Richards Dunkley Smith
    HF: Lipinski Schache Lloyd
    FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
    R: English Bont Macrae
    I: Williams, Daniel, Suckling, Cordy (but would prefer Lachie Young here)

Cordy to give Schache & Bruce a chop out up forward, and only plays in defence as a break in case of emergency option if Saints load up the forward to stretch us at times.

Still major concerns about our defence, but it's better with Trengove in it and he also gives us ruck relief.

Our forward line is treacle slow with the exception of Cavarra and there isn't much tackling prowess. Would really like to see West & Weightman emerge as genuine options because our offensive group needs a big spark.

9. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not to the extent ours need protecting.
    I'm with you on that. I'd like to see our midfield streaming forward and kicking/setting up goals more often. The way they did they in the Essendon game. Midfielders don't grow up thinking "Bewdy. I'm really want to be an AFL footballer and spend all my time blocking and chasing the opposition down the whole game." Sure you have to be accountable but sometimes it's fun to make your opponents worry about you and show off your tricks.

I worry that our guys get less opportunity to do that than they would at other clubs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

So woke.
    haha Jordan was/is an absolute tosser though. His style wouldn't work in AFL with 22 as opposed to the 8 or 9 in the NBA.

He is the GOAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    His injury from round 1 hasn't progressed as hoped. Perhaps he is still a chance but he is no sure thing
    Didn't realize he was injured what did he did this time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post

All good just found an article, interesting that after 2 months off he is still not ready.

Post Thanks / Like

All good just found an article, interesting that after 2 months off he is still not ready.
    What is the injury? Can you post the article?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What is the injury? Can you post the article?
    Jee, have a quick look on the injury thread. Comprehensive report

Post Thanks / Like

A shorter version

Aaron Naughton is in doubt for round two after joining the rehab group when Western Bulldogs players returned to training this week ahead of the AFL season restart.

The rising star played in round one in March but he’s still sore, with the Dogs cautious due to his history of knee injuries.

The 20-year-old key forward suffered a left knee injury in last September’s elimination final defeat to GWS.

While he recovered from that lateral ligament problem to train in the pre-season, Naughton underwent an arthroscope on his right knee in February.

The Bulldogs are hopeful he will prove his fitness for round two - against an opponent to be named in the coming days - but there are no guarantees.

In better news, Tom Liberatore is a chance to play after he missed the opening game of the season.

But, as with Naughton, the club will take a cautious approach given the premiership midfielder’s wretched history with knee injuries.

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Move Cordy to Naughty's spot, put Naughty in Cordy's spot when he returns...

Bulldogs for premiers.