Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I hope we rotate our squad and give opportunities to everyone on the list to play this year, even if it means not being as competitive as we could be.

This year is a write off for me, and anyone who wins the 'flag' (if you want to call it that this year) has a giant asterix next to it.
    Similar feelings with this season as well comrade. Just won’t be the same this year particularly without the fans.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we rotate our squad and give opportunities to everyone on the list to play this year, even if it means not being as competitive as we could be.

This year is a write off for me, and anyone who wins the 'flag' (if you want to call it that this year) has a giant asterix next to it.
    I see this as the biggest test of any season. The teams that read this challenge the best will be the significant participants when it counts
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I see this as the biggest test of any season. The teams that read this challenge the best will be the significant participants when it counts
    Sport is as much mental as anything, and I sympathise with the players if they're unable to get in the right psychological state to perform at their best. I'm also probably a bit flat given I know our team isn't really good enough, based on losing 3 of the last 4 competitive games we've played in all pretty much the same way.

If there was one year to tank...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear Whateley correctly?

"No AFL player will be permitted to play state leagues this season."

Doesn't that change things for the season ahead
    State league ban: 'Scratch matches' an option for non-selected players

FOOTBALLERS not selected for their AFL side this year could instead compete in scratch matches against players in the same position at other clubs.

The AFL is understood to be contemplating alternative playing arrangements after telling clubs on Tuesday that no AFL footballers will be permitted to play in second-tier competitions in 2020.

That decision is based upon the part-time nature of those competitions not enabling AFL-listed players to adhere to the strict medical protocols that will be in place this season.

It's believed the AFL is also in regular dialogue with all state leagues across the country on the scenarios relating to them playing this year.

The move to consider scratch matches for overlooked AFL footballers means they will potentially be able to push their case for senior selection beyond just training.

It will help ease the fears of fringe players, particularly those out of contract, who could have been faced with the possibility of playing no football in 2020.

However, there are complications with this set-up, given the length of injury lists and number of available players can be drastically different from club to club.

That could lead to condensed games, less players on each team, or possibly even a situation where footballers on rival clubs might play alongside one another if necessary.

Any such matches would be held in a controlled environment, in line with AFL and government guidelines.

Post Thanks / Like

I might have missed it, but what's the go with junior footy? Is NAB League still a chance?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I might have missed it, but what's the go with junior footy? Is NAB League still a chance?
    Don't think it's been decided yet but there was talk of this:

Clubs pitch a combined VFL-NAB League season to AFL

VFL and NAB League teams could play in a combined competition in the second half of the season under a plan being kicked around by state league clubs.

VFL officials are floating the idea of adding under-18 talent to the league and playing 10 rounds and finals.

They see it as a way of getting the VFL back on the ground while showcasing draft prospects to AFL recruiters.

TV coverage would be essential to help cover the running costs.

It’s understood some VFL clubs have pitched the concept to the AFL, which is sounding out Channel 7.

AFL football managers and recruiters have also been alerted to the proposal.

“They (football managers) believe it’s got plenty of merit, if it can get off the ground,’’ a VFL official said this morning.

“It will hinge on a broadcast, to generate some commercial revenue.’’

The five stand-alones – Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Werribee – and aligned clubs Box Hill Hawks, Sandringham and Casey Demons would make up an eight-team competition.

The clubs believe the recruiting aspect of it would add relevance and meaning to the season, highlighting draft prospects.

The idea is for top-age NAB League players to be attached to the VFL teams and “give them every opportunity to get in front of AFL recruiters’’, the VFL official said.

“Games livestreamed, stats, vision provided to AFL clubs, put all that into the equation,’’ he said.

“This is genuinely what is being considered, and it has plenty of merit in terms of servicing the talent pathway for 2020.

“It would generate amazing content in the lead-up to the draft, similar to the content for the NFL draft.’’

The VFL clubs are keen to rescue the season but without crowds are concerned they won’t be able to pay their bills.

On Monday Sandringham secretary and AFL Victoria life member Dennis Galimberti declared the Zebras would have to ask their players to play for free unless the AFL was prepared to bankroll an abbreviated season.

He said VFL clubs relied on match-day revenue.

The AFL is yet to give any indication on a return to VFL and NAB League action.

But some recruiters have already lodged formal submissions to the AFL about aligning VFL and NAB League clubs as a way forward.

Under one proposal merged VFL and NAB League clubs would have Under 18 and VFL sides but the same administration and coaching teams.

They believe it would be a significant cost-saving and avoid a duplication of coaches, with coaches forced out of AFL clubs likely to drop back to lower levels.

For example, the Geelong Falcons might link with Werribee, the Eastern Ranges with Box Hill and the Calder Cannons with Coburg.

As one recruiter said today, “It would save a fortune long-term and keep alive the spirit and tradition of clubs who have fought for 100 years”.

Some recruiters and NAB League clubs are also frustrated with the lack of diversity on the AFL’s new talent pathway committee.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is on the AFL’s new talent pathway group and has already complained of the “elitist” system that funnels kids into the NAB League and AFL pathways.

He is joined by former Hawks assistants and administrators Damien Hardwick, Chris Fagan and Luke Beveridge, with NAB League clubs worried they will be affected despite outstanding results with 60 per cent of recent draftees coming from that competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Sport is as much mental as anything, and I sympathise with the players if they're unable to get in the right psychological state to perform at their best. I'm also probably a bit flat given I know our team isn't really good enough, based on losing 3 of the last 4 competitive games we've played in all pretty much the same way.

If there was one year to tank...
    Their mindset should be to be the best prepared they can so I'm certainly not as sympathetic or willing to cut them too much slack.
    So many people did that after the GF. There should be no gap years in the AFL in terms of showing up and doing their best

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Don't think it's been decided yet but there was talk of this:

Clubs pitch a combined VFL-NAB League season to AFL

VFL and NAB League teams could play in a combined competition in the second half of the season under a plan being kicked around by state league clubs.

VFL officials are floating the idea of adding under-18 talent to the league and playing 10 rounds and finals.

They see it as a way of getting the VFL back on the ground while showcasing draft prospects to AFL recruiters.

TV coverage would be essential to help cover the running costs.

It’s understood some VFL clubs have pitched the concept to the AFL, which is sounding out Channel 7.

AFL football managers and recruiters have also been alerted to the proposal.

“They (football managers) believe it’s got plenty of merit, if it can get off the ground,’’ a VFL official said this morning.

“It will hinge on a broadcast, to generate some commercial revenue.’’

The five stand-alones – Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Werribee – and aligned clubs Box Hill Hawks, Sandringham and Casey Demons would make up an eight-team competition.

The clubs believe the recruiting aspect of it would add relevance and meaning to the season, highlighting draft prospects.

The idea is for top-age NAB League players to be attached to the VFL teams and “give them every opportunity to get in front of AFL recruiters’’, the VFL official said.

“Games livestreamed, stats, vision provided to AFL clubs, put all that into the equation,’’ he said.

“This is genuinely what is being considered, and it has plenty of merit in terms of servicing the talent pathway for 2020.

“It would generate amazing content in the lead-up to the draft, similar to the content for the NFL draft.’’

The VFL clubs are keen to rescue the season but without crowds are concerned they won’t be able to pay their bills.

On Monday Sandringham secretary and AFL Victoria life member Dennis Galimberti declared the Zebras would have to ask their players to play for free unless the AFL was prepared to bankroll an abbreviated season.

He said VFL clubs relied on match-day revenue.

The AFL is yet to give any indication on a return to VFL and NAB League action.

But some recruiters have already lodged formal submissions to the AFL about aligning VFL and NAB League clubs as a way forward.

Under one proposal merged VFL and NAB League clubs would have Under 18 and VFL sides but the same administration and coaching teams.

They believe it would be a significant cost-saving and avoid a duplication of coaches, with coaches forced out of AFL clubs likely to drop back to lower levels.

For example, the Geelong Falcons might link with Werribee, the Eastern Ranges with Box Hill and the Calder Cannons with Coburg.

As one recruiter said today, “It would save a fortune long-term and keep alive the spirit and tradition of clubs who have fought for 100 years”.

Some recruiters and NAB League clubs are also frustrated with the lack of diversity on the AFL’s new talent pathway committee.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson is on the AFL’s new talent pathway group and has already complained of the “elitist” system that funnels kids into the NAB League and AFL pathways.

He is joined by former Hawks assistants and administrators Damien Hardwick, Chris Fagan and Luke Beveridge, with NAB League clubs worried they will be affected despite outstanding results with 60 per cent of recent draftees coming from that competition.
    That sounds like a terrible arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's big news. I suspect we are going to be extending the IC bench because it's going to be harder to run players into form

Does anything think a reduced playing list will be next?

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Plans thrown into disarray as SA health authorities refuse travel exemption for Crows and Port Adelaide

7NEWS

SA health authorities have refused to allow travel exemptions for the state’s AFL clubs.

Plans to see AFL’s return could be under threat as South Australian health authorities slam the brakes on interstate travel exemptions.

In an email between itself and the AFL, seen by 7NEWS, SA Health has ruled out any changes to the state’s current 14-day quarantine requirement for those crossing the borders.

Without an exemption, visiting teams would be required to stay locked up for a fortnight before they play.

The rule would also force Crows and Port Adelaide players to self-isolate for two weeks each time they returned from interstate.

The decision means there’s little chance any matches could be played in South Australia.

SA Health says adhering to protocols is critical in considering a return to play.

With the AFL poised to release a roadmap for footy’s return as early as tomorrow, the league is reportedly furious with Tuesday’s official response.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has given the state’s 10 AFL clubs special exemptions to train in large groups, provided they are contained to exclusive facilities.

AFL chiefs had been hoping for a fly-in fly-out option but that now appears to be off the cards for South Australia.

However, health officials want to work with the AFL on safe ways to allow players to engage in specific, risk-managed activities including training and matches.

7NEWS understands the league is now considering its options.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is a significant hurdle to overcome

Post Thanks / Like

Their mindset should be to be the best prepared they can so I'm certainly not as sympathetic or willing to cut them too much slack.
    So many people did that after the GF. There should be no gap years in the AFL in terms of showing up and doing their best
    Agree strongly. The only asterix I see alongside the team that wins this year's flag means they adapted better to the most unusual circumstances of any other season ever.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Could the AFL rebrand this season and play a Victorian completion and not have it for premiership points so this Grand Final is null and void. More a local mini comp.
    Players get to play and TV get to televise something.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Could the AFL rebrand this season and play a Victorian completion and not have it for premiership points so this Grand Final is null and void. More a local mini comp.
    Players get to play and TV get to televise something.
    Love the lateral thinking - perhaps Qld and NSW might be amenable too. Just not SA & possibly not WA. I think SA and WA players - hopefully enough of them, would prefer to live in Vic to play but I might be wrong.