Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  68
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footy isn't far away

I just saw a tweet from Stevo that we have knocked back a new sponsor on the back of our jumper preferring to keep the FFC

Dogs will also resist new sponsor logo on back of guernsey .. see the letters FFC as too important to fabric of club to cover

Does anyone know which sponsor this might be?
    In this economic time attracting new sponsors would be a great addition for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who the sponsor is. I did hear a news report saying that the AFL have only just given permission for the sponsor's badge to go on that part of the jumper instead of the FFC or PAFC logo or whatever it was. It was to make up for lost revenue because of Covid19.

Interesting that we are knocking back sponsors ATM.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I like that. Not everything should be for sale. Money is good to have too. More often than not the balance falls in favour of money, and fair enough. Good to affirm some boundaries now and again.

4. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wonder if the umpire had called play on anyway
    From what I recall the AFL actually responded to that particular contest and the verdict was nothing to see here...…..continuous running etc. and couldn't reasonably have changed course.

Funnily, the same thing happened after the Swannettes complained about Easton apparently sliding into Dan Hannebury. Reality is Easton jumped and landed, and didn't slide. Hard to stomach if it's not your team, but it is what it is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    From what I recall the AFL actually responded to that particular contest and the verdict was nothing to see here...…..continuous running etc. and couldn't reasonably have changed course.

Funnily, the same thing happened after the Swannettes complained about Easton apparently sliding into Dan Hannebury. Reality is Easton jumped and landed, and didn't slide. Hard to stomach if it's not your team, but it is what it is.
    I read somewhere that Easton was told that he had 6 jumps in him that day because his ankle was kaput. It's good to see he didn't waste any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't know who the sponsor is. I did hear a news report saying that the AFL have only just given permission for the sponsor's badge to go on that part of the jumper instead of the FFC or PAFC logo or whatever it was. It was to make up for lost revenue because of Covid19.

Interesting that we are knocking back sponsors ATM.
    We may not have knocked them back just didn't concede the back of the jumper for them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We may not have knocked them back just didn't concede the back of the jumper for them
    Yep I see what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I just saw a tweet from Stevo that we have knocked back a new sponsor on the back of our jumper preferring to keep the FFC

Dogs will also resist new sponsor logo on back of guernsey .. see the letters FFC as too important to fabric of club to cover

Does anyone know which sponsor this might be?
    In this economic time attracting new sponsors would be a great addition for us
    Maybe we could change it to KFC and nobody will notice?

11. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Curtain-raisers back? AFL gives clubs the green light to organise scratch matches

THE AFL has given free rein to clubs to organise scratch matches between themselves from next week – but with a key criterion that will impact the two Sydney clubs most.

Teams will have the option to hold these games as curtain-raisers or curtain-closers to senior fixtures, and they must be played at AFL-approved venues.

AFL.com.au understands League football operations manager Steve Hocking informed the 18 clubs on Wednesday of the conditions for interclub match practice between rounds two and five.

The motivation behind this was to keep non-selected players engaged, with AFL footballers banned from competing in second-tier leagues, because of the strict medical protocols in place to ward against the COVID-19 outbreak.

The likes of Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley and Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans are among the prominent figures to advocate for overlooked players to have somewhere to play and impress beyond training.

AFL umpires are not available to officiate these games, and it's believed the teams involved will instead need to allocate staff approved to make contact with players to serve as umpires.

This also means the footballers involved won't be subject to typical tribunal guidelines and can't be suspended, a policy that will rely on good faith between the competing clubs.

Club officials will need to lodge their game request with the AFL at least one week before the scheduled hitout, and they can only face teams based in the same state.

The Swans and Giants will be forced to play one another repeatedly during that one-month period if they want match practice outside of their own squad.

Gold Coast, Brisbane and the quarantine hub sides – West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Port Adelaide – have already discussed staging scratch matches against one another in Queensland.

That leaves the 10 Victorian clubs to organise contests between them, with the AFL's preference being that they fall in line with the premiership season fixture where possible.

It's understood the AFL contemplated sending scratch match participants with the selected senior players on chartered flights to interstate games but opted against it.

The length of quarters and number of players on each team can be mutually agreed upon between the two parties on a weekly basis.

This is important, given the likelihood of uneven playing numbers from club to club, because of injuries and other factors.

In extreme scenarios, clubs could even pool players together with rivals to stage a match in the case of mass injuries or a desire to play a game closer to normal circumstances.

Suspended footballers, such as North Melbourne defender Marley Williams, who isn't eligible to return until round three, can play in these scratch matches.

As with AFL games, the practice matches will be closed to the public.

13. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Bevo opt for something like this:

Marlion Pickett’s remarkable footy journey could become even more so, with the Richmond grand final hero being considered a ruck option for Richmond’s season restart next Thursday.The 28-year-old is being considered for the role by the Tigers coaching staff despite being just 184cm, putting him in the frame for a role similar to that of retired Tiger Shaun Grigg, who played a key role in the club’s breakthrough premiership campaign of 2017.

With shortened quarters set to allow for more bombastic, burst-type football, Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch said the side might prioritise an extra midfielder who pinch hits in the ruck, rather than select both Toby Nankervis and Ivan Soldo to split the job.
    We can then have an extra mid to help out
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will Bevo opt for something like this:

We can then have an extra mid to help out
    Josh Dunkley has played relief ruck a LOT.
    Expect that to be continued and increased.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently we have opted not to give the non selected players a game next week, I wonder why?

The Western Bulldogs also opted not to organise any sort of 'scratch' game in round two for non-selected footballers but it's unclear whether this will change in future weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Apparently we have opted not to give the non selected players a game next week, I wonder why?
    A short turnaround might have something to do with it. We'll likely want some fresh players for the following game.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post