Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: History of the ‘97 Prelim.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    See - the game itself obviously sucked but I bounced back pretty quickly...because I was just so sure that 98 would be our year. Then we started so well in 98 - so well - and I seriously could not imagine anyone beating us.

And then - like that - it was over. And the '98 prelim just seemed so - PREDICTABLE - as it was happening. And we got flogged from the first bounce to the last bounce as Adelaide steadily pulled away. Weird finals system back then as well - I am sure we finished second but played West Coast (7th) in the first final...and won by 90 points or something. Then had a week off. And it was preliminary final week. It just all seemed upon us so quickly.

Anyway - back to the subject. The 97 team remains my favourite. Succeeding when no-one expected us to do so, winning pretty much every week, every other side hating us because of the whole Libber/Jose stuff...and gave a good account of themselves on Prelim day and seriously *COULD* have (not 100% on should have) won.
    The '98 prelim was an interesting experience for me. I had become a dad a couple of months before and I loved that baby so much that I just sat there with a massive smile on my face. Playersw would stand on the mark with their hands above their heads and I would say something like "Harvey held his hands up like that in his little cot the other day, Harvey did this and Harvey did that, yah yah yah" After a while I was looking down at my jumper and said something else abouy Harvey and the old man had had enough. "will you shut the *!*!*!*! up about that baby? You're carrying on like your the only person ever to have fathered a child" and I said "But he's perfect though, you have to admit that" and the old man smiled and said "yeah, well you've got me there, he is perfect. Lets go home and see him!"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

97 was the first time in my life I thought we could win it
    I think Essendon would have creamed us in 85 , and I don’t think we were good enough in 92

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think Essendon would have creamed us in 85 , and I don’t think we were good enough in 92
    You obviously never saw us trash them in 1985. We would have given them a run and I suspect we would have won it that year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You obviously never saw us trash them in 1985. We would have given them a run and I suspect we would have won it that year
    We only lost by 10 points in that prelim final in 85.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely would have as we seemed to be very competitive against the Bombers. We won by 41 points early in the season and then got beaten at Windy Hill by 4 goals after being down by 56 at 3/4 time. We kicked 7 in the last, to their two and we were storming home. We were under manned that day including Bamblett under done after coming off an appendix operation and playing within a week.

The worse final I have ever attended was the 1985 qualifying final when we got done by 93 points. I went to the MCG thinking we can win this especially when we beat the Hawks a couple of weeks earlier in the rain and mud by 5 points. But that game was a complete disaster, and I don't know whether it was nerves after not being in finals for 9 years or what it was.

We then played a fantastic semi final against North. Beasely kicking his 100th, Bamblet his 50th and stormed into the Prelim. Rick Kennedy was back after his broken leg and held McCann to one goal.

Yeah, the 85 Prelim was a chance for us, but in the end they were just that little better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I was only 2 years old in 1985. But have noticed we beat every other side in the comp during that year - going 1-1 in the H&A season with the Grand finalists, and also being 1-1 with St.Kilda, Melbourne, Fitzroy and the Swans.

I wonder if we have done that many or any times before? In 2016 - Geelong were the only side we didn't beat at some point - but I'd assume beating 16 opposition sides would be our best effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I was only 2 years old in 1985. But have noticed we beat every other side in the comp during that year - going 1-1 in the H&A season with the Grand finalists, and also being 1-1 with St.Kilda, Melbourne, Fitzroy and the Swans.

I wonder if we have done that many or any times before? In 2016 - Geelong were the only side we didn't beat at some point - but I'd assume beating 16 opposition sides would be our best effort.
    Just another fun fact for the premiership year in which we came from "nowhere".
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Dale's 'Open Mike' last night, the footage of the 09 prelim solidified my feelings about this.

I still hurt *way* more about 09 than I do about 97.

Thank … for 16
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Watching Dale's 'Open Mike' last night, the footage of the 09 prelim solidified my feelings about this.

I still hurt *way* more about 09 than I do about 97.

Thank … for 16
    That 09 prelim was the most intense game of football I'd seen in my life. The next game that even came close to it for intensity was the 2016 prelim. I even felt the Grand Final was less intense than the 09 prelim.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That 09 prelim was the most intense game of football I'd seen in my life. The next game that even came close to it for intensity was the 2016 prelim. I even felt the Grand Final was less intense than the 09 prelim.
    Share your view - in a very strange way it was almost a privilege to be there (and I was about 7 rows back from the fence on the GSS flank) I was stunned on the walk out, muttering something about warriors to anyone near me (calmly, I'll add) Got about 90 minutes sleep that night, was a complete zombie for days. Proper ruined me.

When Milne kicked that goal before 3 qtr time, guy next to me punched the seat in front of him so hard I swear he would've gone close to breaking it.

So many what ifs - it's easy the game that still haunts me the most...especially once it was wet the next Saturday. We could've had Geelong.

Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Share your view - in a very strange way it was almost a privilege to be there (and I was about 7 rows back from the fence on the GSS flank) I was stunned on the walk out, muttering something about warriors to anyone near me (calmly, I'll add) Got about 90 minutes sleep that night, was a complete zombie for days. Proper ruined me.

When Milne kicked that goal before 3 qtr time, guy next to me punched the seat in front of him so hard I swear he would've gone close to breaking it.

So many what ifs - it's easy the game that still haunts me the most...especially once it was wet the next Saturday. We could've had Geelong.

Man, that echoes my experience to a tee.

Went with the old man and we literally didn't say a word to each other on the way out of the ground or when we went our separate ways in the MCG carpark. Just a hollow-eyed nod as I turned and walked away.

I've never seen a replay of the game and never will.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

All, the best way to cope with it is to think if it didn't happen we wouldn't have had 2016. Might be a stretch but who knows, it might not be