Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Biggest hit of the decade

Playing for the Giants, IIRC Mumford really ironed someone out. A Cats player?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Playing for the Giants, IIRC Mumford really ironed someone out. A Cats player?
    Mitch Duncan and with a tackle. Like he hit a brick wall.
    The curse is dead.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glen Archer welcoming Lenny Hayes to senior football was a big hit. Archer stepped over him afterwards, then Lenny got up and played on.

Then there is Byron Pickett

Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Glen Archer welcoming Lenny Hayes to senior football was a big hit. Archer stepped over him afterwards, then Lenny got up and played on.

Then there is Byron Pickett

Biglands made a beeline for Pickett. Sometime you reap what you sow.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Biglands made a beeline for Pickett. Sometime you reap what you sow.
    Seriously? One player with his head down playing the ball gets picked off by a player who could have easily avoided him. If he had killed Biglands (which he quite easily had done by crushing his spinal column) would we be lionising him now? Pickett was a dangerous thug and I would refuse to play on the same team as him. If he does shit like that in games then he will do it at training too and I'm not risking that.

The day he signed would be the day my transfer request goes in. If it gets refused I'd organise myself and a couple of teammates to pick him off accidentally at training one day in the not too distant future.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Seriously? One player with his head down playing the ball gets picked off by a player who could have easily avoided him. If he had killed Biglands (which he quite easily had done by crushing his spinal column) would we be lionising him now? Pickett was a dangerous thug and I would refuse to play on the same team as him. If he does shit like that in games then he will do it at training too and I'm not risking that.

The day he signed would be the day my transfer request goes in. If it gets refused I'd organise myself and a couple of teammates to pick him off accidentally at training one day in the not too distant future.
    Eh. I'm not discussing the merits, failings or virtue of either player. You are.

I'm talking about this incident. Bock was going for the ball, Biglands ran to provide a shepherd and block Pickett's run. He didn't have his head over the ball, he was running straight at Pickett and he braces for the impact. Did you even watch the video? Maybe you're thinking of a different incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Eh. I'm not discussing the merits, failings or virtue of either player. You are.

I'm talking about this incident. Bock was going for the ball, Biglands ran to provide a shepherd and block Pickett's run. He didn't have his head over the ball, he was running straight at Pickett and he braces for the impact. Did you even watch the video? Maybe you're thinking of a different incident.
    OK I got the wrong player, I'm in a drug rehab facility and I'm isolated in my room 24/7 because covid is here. We only get access to an iPad for 30 minutes a day so excuse the fact that I can't watch videos over and over. But he still picked a player off, check the look on the trainer's face. The last time I saw that look from a trainer was when Neil Sasche was paralysed. One of the players tried to pick Sasche up and called him a weak *!*!*!*!. That was when I saw the trainer look at him like that.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I got the wrong player, I'm in a drug rehab facility and I'm isolated in my room 24/7 because covid is here. We only get access to an iPad for 30 minutes a day so excuse the fact that I can't watch videos over and over. But he still picked a player off, check the look on the trainer's face. The last time I saw that look from a trainer was when Neil Sasche was paralysed. One of the players tried to pick Sasche up and called him a weak *!*!*!*!. That was when I saw the trainer look at him like that.
    Again you're drifting from the point.

He didn't pick anyone off. Biglands was a willing participant in the contest and he came off second best. That's it.

Your opinion on reactions and Sachse etc is just that, and you're entitled to it and I'm not debating it.

With all that said, mate I sincerely hope you're doing ok. You're a legend on this page and I always enjoy your thoughts and anecdotes. Please take care of yourself.

PM me if you want to talk crap to each other offline.

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While Pickett could be a thug this was a clean hit, and still is a far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't get his head at all, and it's near enough to the ball.

Even today that's play on.

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8V1_xVSd8

This isn't this decade but it is a classic shirtfront.

Post Thanks / Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8V1_xVSd8

This isn't this decade but it is a classic shirtfront.
    No that is thuggery.

A shirt front is a bump to the chest, not smashing a guys head
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigglands wanted the contact, just picked the wrong contact to seek out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No that is thuggery.

A shirt front is a bump to the chest, not smashing a guys head
    I don't think so. It was completely normal for the time. In fact had Magro pulled out he would have been considered a craven coward and taken straight off the ground and playing in the reserves the next week.

If anyone is to blame it's the player who helicoptered the kick to Jezza in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. It was completely normal for the time. In fact had Magro pulled out he would have been considered a craven coward and taken straight off the ground and playing in the reserves the next week.

If anyone is to blame it's the player who helicoptered the kick to Jezza in the first place.
    When you jump into the player and go for the head, it ceases to be a shirtfront.

Made no attempt to go for the ball whatsoever. Cheap shot.

I agree with you on the kick. Hospital pass of the highest order.