Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic Dogs games you like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Apart from the 2016 prelim this is my favorite close game ever. Me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and when Williams kicks that goal we are jumping and high fiving and yelling when one of my mates says "inside voices" and then we notice that pretty much every st kilda supporter (and we were sitting in the members' stand so we were pretty much the only Footscray supporters not just in he stand but at that end of the ground) had turned to glare at us.

We got the *!*!*!*! outta Dodge ASAP followed by a hail of abuse and things being thrown at us. It was a great day at the footy all round!

I was at the other end to you. You must've had a good view of the Williams goal. My bro, The Banker was at same end as you but being a front runner had lost interest in the game because we were getting towelled and had a few beers talking to his mates! It took the Williams goal to get his attention.
    I had gone with my mate, Saints supporter who had just recovered from an ACL playing volleball. Before the game we went for a counter lunch, were on the centre median strip of Nepean Hwy, I asked him how he did the ACL and he showed me and did his ACL again in the middle of Nepean Hwy! I didn't realise at the time, so after grimaces and a lunch we went off to the game. I reckon the loss was more painful for him than the ACL.
    How good was Williams as a kick? How good was Choco, as usual?

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I was at the other end to you. You must've had a good view of the Williams goal. My bro, The Banker was at same end as you but being a front runner had lost interest in the game because we were getting towelled and had a few beers talking to his mates! It took the Williams goal to get his attention.
    I had gone with my mate, Saints supporter who had just recovered from an ACL playing volleball. Before the game we went for a counter lunch, were on the centre median strip of Nepean Hwy, I asked him how he did the ACL and he showed me and did his ACL again in the middle of Nepean Hwy! I didn't realise at the time, so after grimaces and a lunch we went off to the game. I reckon the loss was more painful for him than the ACL.
    How good was Williams as a kick? How good was Choco, as usual?
    The other thing that sticks in my mind was Neil Cordy taking a mark in our goal square. He played on and I thought he was going to get pinged for sure. I put my hands over my eyes when I heard the rest of the stand groan and realized he must have kicked the goal.

It's a real shame Williams didn't have a longer career with us. Did injury cut it short? He just seemed to disappear.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    But would the 2016 version of Cooney and his knee have been part of the premiership side?

Who would you have dropped?
    Bloody good question. Everyone played a role that day but would a fit Cooney have payed a bigger role I guess is what you have to ask. Like for like I'm thinking Dunkley, McLean or Daniel or but they all played vital roles at one stage. If you tied my down and threatened me with a stick I'd say Tom Liberatore.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody good question. Everyone played a role that day but would a fit Cooney have payed a bigger role I guess is what you have to ask. Like for like I'm thinking Dunkley, McLean or Daniel or but they all played vital roles at one stage. If you tied my down and threatened me with a stick I'd say Tom Liberatore.
    I dunno. I don't recall Cooney playing any good games as a Bomber.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the 2016 prelim this is my favorite close game ever. Me and my two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand and when Williams kicks that goal we are jumping and high fiving and yelling when one of my mates says "inside voices" and then we notice that pretty much every st kilda supporter (and we were sitting in the members' stand so we were pretty much the only Footscray supporters not just in he stand but at that end of the ground) had turned to glare at us.

We got the *!*!*!*! outta Dodge ASAP followed by a hail of abuse and things being thrown at us. It was a great day at the footy all round!

I highly doubt that winning goal would have been paid with the goal review technology these days...definitely looked like it was either touched or hit the post!

Thanks for the video though. My fiance is a Blues supporter and her family have been watching their premierships on Youtube every Sunday. It was nice to watch some old Bulldog highlights instead!

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He wouldn't have got a game, he was cooked ages ago
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He wouldn't have got a game, he was cooked ages ago
    Agreed.

So would the 2016 models of Griff and Higgins have got a gig in our flag side, and if so, who would you have dropped?

Post Thanks / Like

In his final season with Essendon he had about 9 games where he had 25 possessions in a game and he scored 4 brownlow votes
    He was serviceable for them
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In his final season with Essendon he had about 9 games where he had 25 possessions in a game and he scored 4 brownlow votes
    He was serviceable for them
    So does he make our 2016 flag team?

Post Thanks / Like

So does he make our 2016 flag team?
    He doesn't get that level of possessions in our side. He might have played though so hard to say. In the end Macca did us all a favor by making the hard decision to move a highly talented but not fully focused brownlow medalist on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

So would the 2016 models of Griff and Higgins have got a gig in our flag side, and if so, who would you have dropped?
    I think Griff would have been very good if he had of continued playing for us. The trouble with trying to pick who you would drop for the GF team is we are looking back and know how players performed. It was a team effort.

DR it is very hard to pick a player to drop. I guess you would look at the first year players like Dunkley, Daniel v a 200 plus proven finals performer in Griffen. As for Higgins, yes he has proven himself since he left us, but his form was only average back then, so I wouldn't pick him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was watching a couple of old games today from my collection. I picked two random games.

In the 80s I recorded many games from the ABC show "The Winners". The Winners didnot always show full games, but rather best quarters, or bits of best quarters.

1. R5, 1985, v Essendon -3rd Quarter.

What a game playing the reigning Premiers, (they won that year as well). We slammed on 7 goals in the 3rd quarter with some exciting football to Essendon's zero. The atmosphere was electric with over 33,000 crammed into the Western Oval. I remember this game vividly, as I was there in my usual spot between the players race and the umpires race. 41 point win. Some real stars in our team that moved the ball from one end to the other so quickly. Essendon were stunned.

2. Rd 16 1982, v Geelong Bits and pieces of 1st, 3rd and last quarter,

After a very close tussle and only 8 points in it at 3rd time, we kicked 10 in the last, Beasley kicking 6 of those to make it 12 for the quarter. He was an incredible Footballer and kicked the most goals of any player in the AFL for the 1980s

Like GVGjr, I am starting to get revved up about next Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

There was a game against North in late 1990’s or early 00’s where Carey turned it on for them and Grant turned it on for us. They were both great players for a long time and it was a classic encounter. I recall it quite high scoring and high quality play with a good atmosphere. We lost by 2 points and strangely I was not too upset. I felt it was luck as to who was ahead at final siren. Remember visiting a friends place in city afterwards and they asked how was game and both hubby and I said it was terrific but we lost by 2 - naturally they thought dogs had won as we did not look at all sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    There was a game against North in late 1990’s or early 00’s where Carey turned it on for them and Grant turned it on for us. They were both great players for a long time and it was a classic encounter. I recall it quite high scoring and high quality play with a good atmosphere. We lost by 2 points and strangely I was not too upset. I felt it was luck as to who was ahead at final siren. Remember visiting a friends place in city afterwards and they asked how was game and both hubby and I said it was terrific but we lost by 2 - naturally they thought dogs had won as we did not look at all sad.
    That was rd 22 98 from memory and if we had of won would've been our first minor premiership? Grant and Carey both kicked 4 was an amazing game.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...219980828.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Grantysghost. Yes that was it. Pearl of a game. As Max Smart would say “missed by this much”.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post