Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Richardson's 2004 afl re-draft

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Your assumption with the plays against professionals thing is that everybody else was somewhat of a hack who would have been immeasurably improved with a more professional training regimen, whereas Ablett and Lockett wouldn’t have.
    Yes, but - Buddy actuall did play in an era with improved training standards turning the average player into a killer. That should be a huge mark in his favour.

Also low key from what I can tell watching old games everyone else was kind of a hack (maybe that's because I only watch old Dogs games).

I also believe that arguing about the best player in football history is like trying to wank with invisible arms on a raft in a tsunami
    Okay not bad.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys. This is Aliesha Newman Kicking the GOTW in AFLW in 2017. Apart from the gender thing explain exactly how Buddy's differs from that one?

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    OK guys. This is Aliesha Newman Kicking the GOTW in AFLW in 2017. Apart from the gender thing explain exactly how Buddy's differs from that one?

Buddy did it in a competition that's been elite for 25 years in all facets of the game. AFLW will get there hopefully, but...….I'm not even going to bother finishing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Okay not bad.
    You crack me up mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Or this one. The shimmy is Macrae like!

Post Thanks / Like

She's a gun. Absolute gun and would be a good player in any AFLW competition ever.

Her opponents will catch up though, it's such early days for that competition and the speeds between players are so different. I truly believe however, that as soon as they tip sufficient money (i.e. more and then lots more) into the competition the rate of improvement will be huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but - Buddy actuall did play in an era with improved training standards turning the average player into a killer. That should be a huge mark in his favour.

Also low key from what I can tell watching old games everyone else was kind of a hack (maybe that's because I only watch old Dogs games).
    Lucas Markovic was a killer?

Post Thanks / Like

As-is/was he'd get a gig before anyone in defence from yesteryear. If you plonked modern day Makovich into 1972 he'd have been a gun.

Problem for him though he played the game like it was yesteryear against players acting as if it wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Of Krispy Kreme maybe. I did say "average players" and no one would've ever accused Lukas of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson is at 8, which seems fair. Betts may have been an administrative error as he was Pre Season Draft, not main or rookie, but yeah he should be in there. I get the argument for Lewis moving up, he was a cracking player, but would he have been a 4 time premiership player at the Dogs or Richmond?
    If you're going to include a rookie (Grundy/Morris) you include the PSD as well.

I don't know about Lewis. He was a great player #5 on that list is a stretch.

How Betts isn't on the list but LeCras gets a gig is baffling.

Post Thanks / Like

He ran further. That's about all I've got for you.

If its viewed in conjunction with the almost identical one he kicked a few minutes prior (Which it shouldn't for GOTY consideration) then maybe that beefs it up.

Franklin's athleticism and skill level for a player of his size is inhuman. He's well beyond his best and I didn't see the other 5 you mentioned play, but on pure football ability he belongs at the top of the list.

That being said, when you add in Roughead's leadership and club mentality, that just edges him to #1. Also freakishly athletic and skilful for his size, just not quite as much as Buddy. Hawthorn built a premiership side in that draft.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. Didn't Jack Dyer call Ken Hunter a good ordinary player? Or was it Peter Bosustow?

We wouldn't have won that flag but for the Wall of Biggs. He might be a good ordinary player but there was nothing ordinary about that effort.
    From what I remember of watching Lou reminiscing with Jack one day on The Footy Show, it was Bosustow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    If you're going to include a rookie (Grundy/Morris) you include the PSD as well.

I don't know about Lewis. He was a great player #5 on that list is a stretch.

How Betts isn't on the list but LeCras gets a gig is baffling.
    By administrative error, I meant a lazy lack of research. I agree, Betts belongs in there well ahead of LeCras.

Post Thanks / Like

Of Krispy Kreme maybe. I did say "average players" and no one would've ever accused Lukas of that.
    Were you at the family day when the fist fight broke out because the Krispy Kremes had run out?

Post Thanks / Like

Were you at the family day when the fist fight broke out because the Krispy Kremes had run out?
    I was not.

Given how many of our players I've recently learned live in Middle Park I kinda love that and hope it happened recently.