Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Richardson's 2004 afl re-draft

Original top 10:

Brett Deledio, Jarryd Roughead, Ryan Griffen, Richard Tambling, Lance Franklin, Tom Williams, Jordan Lewis, John Meesen, Jordan Russell, Chris Egan.

Richos re-draft

10 – Heath Grundy
    “He was probably their second best player in a Grand Final in 2016 and ended up with over 250 games off a rookie list,” Richardson told Sportsday.

9 – Mark LeCras
    “A very, very good player playing in the half forward role. He wasn’t the number one target, but (kicked) 441 goals in 219 games. All-Australian and a best and fairest.”

8 – Josh Gibson
    “What a player he became at the Hawthorn Football Club. He won two best and fairests in premiership years and off a rookie list (at North Melbourne) as well.”

7 – Dale Morris

“One of the toughest players I have ever played on. He could play small, he could play tall, incredibly hard and brave. I’ll never forget what he did in that 2016 premiership.”

6 – Jordan Lewis
    “He played over 300 games, four premierships.”

5 – Travis Cloke
    “Playing in a tough position on the ground, I just thought he was harshly rated at times. He was one of the best contested marks of the last 20 years, if not the best.”

4 – Ryan Griffen
    “Captain, two best and fairests, played over 250 games.”

3 – Jarryd Roughead
    “I’ve left Roughead at three. This is a bit contentious. We know what he achieved, one of the best guys in footy.”

2 – Brett Deledio
    “I’ve had to drop Brett Deledio from number one to number two, so I’ll be expecting a text message from him any minute now, but not even he can argue with me here. Lids had a great career mind you and would have played 300 games if not for some calf injuries late in his career.”

1 – Lance Franklin
    “Number one by a fair way, when you’ve been All-Australian eight times, that’s just incredible. I think he’ll end up kicking 1000 goals because this break might be good for him.”

What changes would you make?

Personally I wouldn't have Deledio at 3

Original full 2004 draft here
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-05-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.