Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Richardson's 2004 afl re-draft

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was not.

Given how many of our players I've recently learned live in Middle Park I kinda love that and hope it happened recently.
    It must have been around 2010ish.

It remains one of the funniest things I have seen. It's a real shame back then not many people filmed things on their phones
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I would go Buddy Roughead Griffen Deledio in that order for top 4. Gee Hawthorn blitzed that draft, and then they stole, Gibson as well. Oooh it hurts. And it still hurts every time I think of us Taking Tom Williams too. Just a ridiculous reach with pick 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I would go Buddy Roughead Griffen Deledio in that order for top 4. Gee Hawthorn blitzed that draft, and then they stole, Gibson as well. Oooh it hurts. And it still hurts every time I think of us Taking Tom Williams too. Just a ridiculous reach with pick 6.
    I think you are being a bit harsh there, he had the potential to be a decent player if his body hadn't have let him down.

Also you need to look at the players taken after Lewis at 7 - it's an absolute wasteland. A few journeymen and many that never made it. This draft falls off a cliff after pick 7, with of course a few late gems here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    We were always going tall with that second pick. Fans would have burnt down the EJ Whitten stand if we took two mids and at the time we rated Griff no 1. IIRC we were right into Roughead too.

Williams would have been a 200 game CHB if his shoulders weren't made of tissue paper.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Its a pretty good draft year.

Knowing what we know now, there wouldn't be team or club in history that doesn't take Buddy no.1.

GvGjr - I hear what you're saying about Clarkson valuing Roughead how he does - but coaches are like that. Allan Jeans said Chris Mew was always first picked and the most important player in his side. But we all know Chris Mew isn't the player that Dunstall, Brereton, Platten was. Coaches look for different things. Someone like Buddy comes up probably only once every 15 years - and will go down as a top 10 player ever. That 2008 qualifying final still gives me the chills, in a bad way.