Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sacked - Aker

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacked - Aker

He's a massive bundle of insecurities that he tries to disguise through bravado like the BS in the podcast.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Who ?
    What comrade said

Post Thanks / Like

Listened to the Milne Baker one a few weeks back
    Milne played the innocent card with that incident with malthouse
    Conveniently forgot the homophobic slurs at Paul Licurua in the build up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Doesn't that make him a bad guy? I mean, not fundamentally wants to do harm type bad but at least just an arsehole?
    It makes him immature to me. I guess I'd assume a "bad guy" is one who has bad intentions, I just don't see that with Aker. Highly flawed absolutely. I wonder if his background feeds into that insecurity though - adoption leading to some form of abandonment syndrome.

There are far, far worse people floating around in AFL circles. Aker's never belted a cleaner or eye gouged an opponent etc etc
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Aker was an amazing footballer , the only guy in the era who would kick a ball on an angle straight through the middle and not do those round the corner kicks that have become the norm, the bloke was a freak and perfectionist.
    He and Hall should have been the perfect duo if only he worked with Hall and the team to get the best out of both working together.
    He definitely is a little different persona wise.
    It’s sad it’s all me me me, if only he was a little more modest and understanding of a team.
    Had the skills to be one of the most loved players ever if his mouth didn’t open. Sigh
    Sigh
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Doesn't that make him a bad guy? I mean, not fundamentally wants to do harm type bad but at least just an arsehole?
    It's his persona. Almost like he can't help himself and he lacks the prism that most of us have between our brain and our mouth that prevents us from saying stupid things that only serve to make us look like a fool.

I will say this though. My son Harvey absolutely idolised Aker even when he was at Brisbane, in fact we were watching a Brisbane/Essendon match and Harvey said to me "why are all the Lions players angry at Aker?" I hadn't noticed at all but the week after the shit hit the fan and Aker was out of there.

Anyway because he loved him so much I took him to meet him. Harvey shook his hand and Aker said "stare me in the eyes son, never look down" and took him aside and spoke to him for a couple of minutes. I have no idea what he said but Harvey has been a different person ever since. He was so confident and self assured after that he was like a different kid. The one thing I do remember is Harvey asking him how he kicked all those amazing goals and he said "Come down to training and see how many shots at goal I practice-that's the reason-hard work!"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Mofra liked this post