Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacked - Aker

Post Thanks / Like

Sacked - Aker

Well...here you go!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...c0d020d3915bdd

Aker keeps saying he is a team player but I wish I could sit with him and talk him through how the way he answers questions makes him come off as self centered.

I have a lot of admiration for him as a player and his level of skill comes about through focus, hard work and attention to detail...but he is just unwilling (or unable) to give credit to others.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacked - Aker

Any chance someone can post from paywall?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Any chance someone can post from paywall?
    Is on the average Sacked Podcast like the B-Mac one. So you can find it on your podcast player

I don’t get it, the podcast apparently won an award last year but I find it poor production, poor editing, hosts that don’t ask tough questions.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is on the average Sacked Podcast like the B-Mac one. So you can find it on your podcast player

I don’t get it, the podcast apparently won an award last year but I find it poor production, poor editing, hosts that don’t ask tough questions.
    Thanks Aza

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see the full uncut version here https://youtu.be/WWlEunCoy_E

I have listened to it in full. It's extremely hard to listen too. A bitter, bitter man. Takes zero responsibility for anything that has ever happened to him or any of his actions. Attacks or speaks ill of nearly everyone. Disappointing that they don't probe or ask the hard questions.

Actually loved watching him play. Both at the Lions and the Bulldogs. He had rare talent and did things on the field I have never seen anyone else do on the footy field. Just sad to see what he has become.

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And all those people who accused him of cheating at golf were all obviously wrong too...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

‘He killed my career’: Call that cost Jason Akermanis his playing stint and, eventually, up to $2.5m

Brisbane champion Jason Akermanis believes his decision to play on in 2010 led to a range of issues that, not only ended his playing stint, but may have cost him an AFL coaching career and upwards of $2.5 million.

In the latest ‘Sacked’ episode, Akermanis he opened up on his messy exit from the Western Bulldogs.

After a sensational Brisbane tenure that netted three premierships a Brownlow Medal and multiple All-Australians, Akermanis was dumped by the Lions at the end of 2006 before being picked up by the Bulldogs.

In his first 69 games and three seasons at the Dogs, Akermanis booted 112 goals to play a crucial role in the club’s surges deep into finals series in the late 2000s. He won the club’s goalkicking award in 2009 with 43 majors.

But months later, the Dogs acquired Barry Hall, who would essentially become the club’s No. 1 target inside 50 – a role previously held by Akermanis. And by the end of a tumultuous 2010 season, Akermanis’ playing career was over.

Speaking on the Herald Sun’s ‘Sacked’ podcast, Akermanis said he didn’t live with regrets. But in hindsight, he said leaving the game before the 2010 season may have been the right call.

“In the end, I think Barry Hall came (to the Bulldogs) and killed my career,” Akermanis told ‘Sacked’.

“I was the leading goalkicker in 2009. Maybe that was the time (to retire). It certainly would have been better for the future, as far as work in the AFL, because in 10 years since, I’ve had nothing and been for jobs and got laughed out of the place.”

When asked to estimate the financial cost of playing on in 2010, Akermanis claimed it would be $2 million to $2.5 million — “minimum”.

“The feel-good scenario would have been far better. Leading goalkicker 2009, prelim final, go into the next year 2010, Barry Hall comes. Barry and I are like 10 days apart,” he said.

“The boys were kicking to him but they should have been kicking not to him, sometimes – and that’s what happens in footy because he’s so big and he stands out.”

Ultimately, Akermanis had a falling out with then-Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade, as well as several senior Bulldogs players that he dubbed the ‘A-team’.

“I was getting stopped from the top. Rodney did not want me undermining his stuff because, you know, that’s Rodney Eade, that’s what he does.

“They were saying I looked content, which is the greatest load of crap. I’m the most professional trainer, I’m there on time, I get my physio, I’m doing my extra stuff that they’re not seeing, in the gym or down on the ground kicking goals. Talk about ungrateful or unrealistic in actually what I am, who I am and what I’m doing.

“We called (some of the players) the ‘A-team’, five or six of them who I had been warned about, I’d been told about them … they were the team you didn’t want to upset.

“They were more powerful than I ever thought.

“What they were saying wasn’t earth-shattering negativity, but the sheer fact I didn’t know who was saying it was even more upsetting and frustrating.”

During 2010, Akermanis penned a controversial column that suggested gay AFL players should avoid revealing their sexual preference, while he was also accused of leaking details from a private Bulldogs playing group — an accusation he again denied on the podcast.

“Two players, allegedly, said ‘if you don’t get rid of him, we don’t play,” Akermanis said.

“Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know. And why I’m putting on public record is those two players know who they are. If it’s true, just come and say it’s true. If it’s not, then that’s fine. But that’s what I was told.”

Over a month out from the 2010 finals series, Akermanis was told he’d been sacked in a meeting with Eade, president David Smorgon, chief executive Simon Garlick and footy boss James Fantasia. He claimed Fantasia was the only person who checked on him at his locker after the news had been broken.

Akermanis said he remained hopeful he could still have a coaching role in the AFL one day, but added he believed there was still a stigma surrounding him that he isn’t a team player – a stigma he says “is the greatest load of crap”.

“The skill-set I have is largely second to none in that era. I’ve been through more stuff as a player, I can teach, I’ve got a degree in coaching, went to university, coached, experienced – all that stuff. But ‘nup, sorry’,” he said

Post Thanks / Like

But months later, the Dogs acquired Barry Hall, who would essentially become the club’s No. 1 target inside 50 – a role previously held by Akermanis. And by the end of a tumultuous 2010 season, Akermanis’ playing career was over
    So it's our fault that Aker couldn't bring himself to be a team player?

“I was the leading goalkicker in 2009. Maybe that was the time (to retire). It certainly would have been better for the future, as far as work in the AFL, because in 10 years since, I’ve had nothing and been for jobs and got laughed out of the place
    Rubbish. The only person to blame for being considered a figure of fun and not being taken seriously is you

I was getting stopped from the top. Rodney did not want me undermining his stuff because, you know, that’s Rodney Eade, that’s what he does.
    Rocket was the boss. He got judged on win/loss ratio and if you can't get that through your thick head it's a wonder you played league footy at all.

What they were saying wasn’t earth-shattering negativity, but the sheer fact I didn’t know who was saying it was even more upsetting and frustrating.”
    So what you're saying it wasn't really that bad at all? It was more the fact you are a little paranoid than anything else?

You want to be considered a serious player Jason? You want the cred associated with being an elder AFL statesman? Then grow the *!*!*!*! up you immature man child. And stop blaming everyone else for your problems and own them yourself. After all you caused them and it's nothing to do with us.

You're not only a disappointment, you are also somebody else's problem now.

Oh. And stop cheating at golf, it's pathetic.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does he think undermining the coach is a normal thing? Like, something you should be allowed to do.

Vintage Aker.

The guy has been laughed out of every situation he's found himself in. He isn't going to learn, if he's happy I'm happy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So he's been overlooked for coaching job after coaching job the last decade because in 2010 the Bulldogs team decided to kick the ball to Barry Hall...

Ok, Aker.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why does he think undermining the coach is a normal thing? Like, something you should be allowed to do.

Vintage Aker.

The guy has been laughed out of every situation he's found himself in. He isn't going to learn, if he's happy I'm happy.
    He's a team player though right?

Even his "Get to the front" story about the 02 GF (I think it was 02???) was just one of those things where he could have so easily been gracious. "Because of the wet footy - and it was slippery that day - I had been ducking in behind Lynchy and had gotten goal-side a couple of times...but it just hadn't quite worked. Lethal sent down the message that there were two minutes to go - no more guessing and no more instincts - play the percentages...get to the front of the contest. And you know what? I didn't like it but he's the coach...and that's what I did...and wouldn't you know it, I went to the front of the contest, the balled spilled straight to me and -well, what did you boys think of that finish heh???"

You know...just share around the credit. Tell everyone it was someone else's idea. Don't SH!T on the storyline, dont be a one-upper...be a stand up guy. Be a real team player.

Whether his version is true or not doesn't actually matter...it makes him sound like a D!CK and that he is trying to say he is smarter than Leigh Matthews. And he very well might be. But if you are really smart, you don't have to say it - other people will say it about you.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Likes Twodogs, Raw Toast, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've met him a few times and the one phrase that comes to mind when I think of him is "people pleaser". I get the feeling he just really really wants to be liked but there's a disconnect between his mouth and his intentions. I don't dislike him at all, I do pity him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I've met him a few times and the one phrase that comes to mind when I think of him is "people pleaser". I get the feeling he just really really wants to be liked but there's a disconnect between his mouth and his intentions. I don't dislike him at all, I do pity him.
    This is how I see him too.

I don't think he's a bad guy, but his deep desire to be liked/the most popular continually works against him, because he can never take responsibility for his actions or share credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Is there also an element that he wants to be cutting edge, saying the things that he thinks others are scared to say?
    As both you and TBB say, he isn't a bad bloke but his weakness is that he is an attention seeker

I would consider him in a development role for younger players if I thought he could tow the line
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This is how I see him too.

I don't think he's a bad guy, but his deep desire to be liked/the most popular continually works against him, because he can never take responsibility for his actions or share credit.
    Doesn't that make him a bad guy? I mean, not fundamentally wants to do harm type bad but at least just an arsehole?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.