Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wheeler: goal umpire

I was searching on YouTube for a bit hit Terry Wheeler took Jezza out with one day at western oval but I found this instead. Anyone remember it?

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes Eastdog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wheeler: goal umpire

Yes I was there, but had forgotten it happened. Very funny.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn’t a good year 1982 for us looking at AFL tables. Only 3 wins and we got the spoon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the old Waverly Park?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Is that the old Waverly Park?
    https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...119820626.html

Yep Waverley Park. We lost this game by 2 points. According to this it looks like Doug Hawkins missed this game.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Wasn’t a good year 1982 for us looking at AFL tables. Only 3 wins and we got the spoon.

The only season when a club conceded 200 points in a match twice and we also conceded 190 points twice.

Then Bluey Hampshire takes over when Royce Hart gets the sack and we imporove a little to the extent we beat Hawthorn and Geelong but then we fall away again and start getting thumped again.

But 1983 is the start of a new age for us. Off the top of my head we have made finals in 15 of the 36 years since and won a flag, that's not a bad record when you consider some of the coaches we've had in that time (*cough* Peter Rhode.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The only season when a club conceded 200 points in a match twice and we also conceded 190 points twice.

Then Bluey Hampshire takes over when Royce Hart gets the sack and we imporove a little to the extent we beat Hawthorn and Geelong but then we fall away again and start getting thumped again.

But 1983 is the start of a new age for us. Off the top of my head we have made finals in 15 of the 36 years since and won a flag, that's not a bad record when you consider some of the coaches we've had in that time (*cough* Peter Rhode.)
    Our finals appearances since 1961

1961 - Grand Finalist
    1985 - Prelim Finalist
    1992 - Prelim Finalist
    1997 - Prelim Finalist
    1998 - Prelim Finalist
    2008 - Prelim Finalist
    2009 - Prelim Finalist
    2010 - Prelim Finalist
    2016 - Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Digressing slightly, a bloke turned up at work last week to do a fire safety exit audit and after a few minutes I twigged it was actually ex-Richmond player Bryan Wood.

As he was leaving I mentioned I might've had an old footy card of his to wit he laughed his head off before asking who I barracked for. The reply "Ohh the Doggies, don't mind the Doggies, except for that f**cken mongrel back pocket, broke my bloody nose one day."

We spent several minutes trying to figure out which mongrel back pocket of ours was capable of such a deed before he finally yells out "WHEELER! That's the bastard!".

Oh how we laughed.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes jeemak, craigsahibee, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Digressing slightly, a bloke turned up at work last week to do a fire safety exit audit and after a few minutes I twigged it was actually ex-Richmond player Bryan Wood.

As he was leaving I mentioned I might've had an old footy card of his to wit he laughed his head off before asking who I barracked for. The reply "Ohh the Doggies, don't mind the Doggies, except for that f**cken mongrel back pocket, broke my bloody nose one day."

We spent several minutes trying to figure out which mongrel back pocket of ours was capable of such a deed before he finally yells out "WHEELER! That's the bastard!".

Oh how we laughed.
    He was lucky it was only his nose that was broken. If Terry had played to his strength Wood's testicles would still be hurting.

There was a reason Terry Wheeler made the most tribunal appearances as the victim of the report. It was much the same reason his nickname was Squirrel grip.

12. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Versus St Kilda on Hawkins wing, Cowboy Neal gets a head of steam up and is bouncing the ball, his legs pumping his barrel chest along.
    Wheeler lines him up with a fully committed shirt front

and bounces off him, Cowboy didn't break stride!
    I was flabbergasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Good talk back fodder these days. Lyon and Cornes would be tut tutting that all morning on SEN, "the coaches won't like that." "You've got a situation where you've just conceded a point and you're laughing about it? Having fun? Time for wheeler to get serious his footy I think, no wonder the club is where it is"

Caro: AFL investigating breach of conduct by Wheeler for engaging in contact with umpire equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Love Terry , even when he was sacked he stayed bulldog through and through, extremely loyal to his connections and would do anything for the club still.
    He did the hard yards as a coach with us and was very successful considering where we were at.
    The guy is just very likeable , apart from his cheeky times playing the game I’ve never heard a bad word From anyone.
    Not sure what he does now but I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.
    Bring back the biff

16. Likes Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Love Terry , even when he was sacked he stayed bulldog through and through, extremely loyal to his connections and would do anything for the club still.
    He did the hard yards as a coach with us and was very successful considering where we were at.
    The guy is just very likeable , apart from his cheeky times playing the game I’ve never heard a bad word From anyone.
    Not sure what he does now but I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.
    There aren't that many coaches wha are welcome back to their old club with open arms. Wheeler is definitely one of them. Did a jumper presentation to a first gamer last year IIRC?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There aren't that many coaches wha are welcome back to their old club with open arms. Wheeler is definitely one of them. Did a jumper presentation to a first gamer last year IIRC?
    Did he present Caleb Daniel with his #35 before his debut?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did he present Caleb Daniel with his #35 before his debut?
    Yes and a great speech by Wheels
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.