Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry Wheeler: goal umpire

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes and a great speech by Wheels
    The best of the lot. I love listening to Wheels. He might be a bit mad, which just adds to my admiration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The best of the lot. I love listening to Wheels. He might be a bit mad, which just adds to my admiration.
    I reckon Wheels and Bevo would have some whacky conversations after a few beers.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    There aren't that many coaches wha are welcome back to their old club with open arms. Wheeler is definitely one of them. Did a jumper presentation to a first gamer last year IIRC?
    Terry Wallace is another who is a nice guy despite the stories that go around about him leaving . He got life membership not that long ago.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I Could see him at a vfl game just watching us.
    Terry is a big Willy supporter and always at their VFL games - was both a player and coach there, as well as Bulldogs.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

6. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Terry is a big Willy supporter and always at their VFL games - was both a player and coach there, as well as Bulldogs.
    The Ronnie James story is amazing and sad.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Isaac Heaney was criticized today in the H/S for waterskiing and said that his critics were "only jealous" I'd love to sit down and tell him about Ron James
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Video from YouTube about Ron James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OsxtjYDQs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Ja...er,_born_1970)

Last paragraph from the wiki page. 19 so sad way way way too young. I’m 31.

“At the age of 19, James was killed in a water skiing accident near Echuca on New Years Day 1990. He had been skiing with two friends on the Murray River and was flung into a tree. Wheeler, his former coach at Williamstown, had joined Footscray for the 1990 AFL season and was later quoted as saying James could have been a 150 or 200 game player”.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Isaac Heaney was criticized today in the H/S for waterskiing and said that his critics were "only jealous" I'd love to sit down and tell him about Ron James
    I'm not sure what your point is. Coronavirus aside, should nobody water ski?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. Coronavirus aside, should nobody water ski?
    No, not at all. Heaney was saying that water skiing was perfectly safe when the lesson from Ron James is it's obviously not. He is an AFL player and gets paid accordingly. Risky behavior like that can wait until retirement. It was only last season that Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing and missed most of the preseason.

This is standard clause in an AFL player's contract:

[A player can] not engage in any dangerous or hazardous activity, including but not limited to trail bike riding, professional boxing or wrestling, soccer, grid iron, karate, judo, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping, which, in the reasonable opinion of the AFL Club, may affect the player's ability to perform his obligations under this contract, without first obtaining the consent of the AFL Club, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's clacker what Heaney does but the water skiing thing hits close to home because of Ron. His death was a tragedy for our club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No, not at all. Heaney was saying that water skiing was perfectly safe when the lesson from Ron James is it's obviously not. He is an AFL player and gets paid accordingly. Risky behavior like that can wait until retirement. It was only last season that Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder water skiing and missed most of the preseason.

This is standard clause in an AFL player's contract:

[A player can] not engage in any dangerous or hazardous activity, including but not limited to trail bike riding, professional boxing or wrestling, soccer, grid iron, karate, judo, hang gliding, parachuting, or bungee jumping, which, in the reasonable opinion of the AFL Club, may affect the player's ability to perform his obligations under this contract, without first obtaining the consent of the AFL Club, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's clacker what Heaney does but the water skiing thing hits close to home because of Ron. His death was a tragedy for our club.
    The Murray is very dangerous for water skiing, do it in a safer lake or ocean
    Bring back the biff