Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dean Laidley arrested and remanded until May 11

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    This is getting odd.
    If the snippets that have already come out are any indication...it's about to get even odder.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If the snippets that have already come out are any indication...it's about to get even odder.
    It's unbelievable that the photo's and some of the details of the police discussions with him have been leaked from the police station and I question why some news services have run with the photo's and the story.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The rumours about Laidley cross dressing have been around for a long time. And whilst I have absolutely no problem if that’s his thing, to have it come out as splashed on the front of the herald sun along with commentary around an ice addiction and other details would be a harrowing ordeal for his family and friends.

Feel sorry for Laidley and all involved.

4. Likes bornadog, Mofra, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The rumours about Laidley cross dressing have been around for a long time. And whilst I have absolutely no problem if that’s his thing, to have it come out as splashed on the front of the herald sun along with commentary around an ice addiction and other details would be a harrowing ordeal for his family and friends.

Feel sorry for Laidley and all involved.
    I find comments on social media around this, immature and disgusting and no bodies business. As for the alleged leaking by Police, that is just not on and I hope the person (s) are dealt with swiftly.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoever is responsible for the leaks within VicPol needs to get the arse as soon as they're identified. Disgraceful behaviour.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least we have Batman on the case...

Ex-North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley charged with stalking as interview photo is leaked

Former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley is behind bars after he was charged with a series of offences, including stalking.

The 53-year-old was arrested in St Kilda on Saturday night after police were called to an incident outside a residence about 9pm.

Photos of Laidley wearing a wig and female clothing at the time of his arrest emerged last night as news broke of his arrest.

The Herald Sun has been told the premiership player also allegedly demanded to be called Daniella while being interviewed at the police station.

Victoria Police last night confirmed an investigation had been launched into the dissemination of the images, including one from his official police file, on social media.

Leading Senior Constable Adam West confirmed Professional Standards Command has been notified.

The image is taken from outside the interview room and is not from the formal interview process.

Laidley’s lawyer, Dee Giannopoulos from Doogue and George, last night blasted the leaking of the image on to Twitter.

“Outraged that pictures of my client, taken by some police officer, on the sly, when in custody in interview have hit the media. Typical,” she wrote.

Lawyer Bill Doogue added: “Disgraceful. Taking photos unlawfully and sharing them. And these were sneaky photos while in police interview in police *!station by a police officer.”

Laidley was arrested and charged with stalking and other matters.

It was alleged on social media that Laidley was later strip searched and a bag of methamphetamine was found in his possession.

It was also alleged Laidley had made threats to kill.

Friends of Laidley told the Herald Sun they were aware of rumours of him cross dressing and that they were also aware he was using the drug ice.

He faced the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court yesterday but did not apply for bail.

Laidley is due to reappear at court next Monday, May 11.

Victoria Police said as the matter was before the court it would be inappropriate to comment.

Victoria’s leading civil liberties advocate last night blasted the leaked photographs of Laidley.

“The images circulating of a high-profile arrest today are a deplorable breach of privacy,” Liberty Victoria tweeted.

“The transphobic overtones only serve to make the breach even more egregious.

“Not good enough Victoria Police: we are watching,” the council wrote.

“Please deal with this unacceptable incident swiftly and properly.”

Former Kangaroos teammate Corey McKernan last night used social media to wish Laidley well. “Thoughts with a premiership brother tonight. No idea what’s happened or what’s lead (sic) to this but thoughts with you Laids, along with the Shinboner family,” McKernan wrote.

Laidley, who now lives in Moonee Ponds, played in the Kangaroos’ 1996 premiership team and then coached the club from 2003 to 2009.

He played 151 AFL games for West Coast and North Melbourne.

His 6½-year coaching stint at the Kangaroos ended with him resigning during the 2009 season.

Laidley was an assistant coach at Port Adelaide in 2010-11.

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is classic Vic Police, right at a moment when public goodwill and sympathies are with them some arse hat does this and reminds the public how grubby a very small portion of police can be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is classic Vic Police, right at a moment when public goodwill and sympathies are with them some arse hat does this and reminds the public how grubby a very small portion of police can be.
    Hopefully it's just a very small portion of the force and I would imagine someone will lose their job.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    This is getting odd.
    Different strokes for different folks and all that. Somebody very close to me is gender dismorphic and it makes no difference to how much I love them. Doesn't even enter into the equation. In fact I am so *!*!*!*!ing proud of they and how brave they have been it makes me love them more.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Whoever is responsible for the leaks within VicPol needs to get the arse as soon as they're identified. Disgraceful behaviour.
    What they need is their arse handed to them on a plate.

I'd be happy to do the job.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely disgraceful behavior
    I feel for his family and friends

Post Thanks / Like

This is a case for ESD (Ethical Standards Department) to get onto. Very unethical.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 04-05-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Former premiership star Dean Laidley is suffering from a psychiatric illness and was on bail when he was arrested on Saturday.

The Herald Sun can reveal Laidley’s lawyer, Dee Giannopoulos, told the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Sunday her client needed to see a mental health care nurse as soon as possible following his arrest on Saturday night.

The court also heard it was Laidley’s first time in custody.

Laidley did not apply for bail and was remanded to reappear via video link next Monday.

Laidley is charged with stalking under the crimes act, and other offences including commit an indictable offence whilst on bail.

The 53-year-old was *!arrested in St Kilda on Saturday night after police were called to an incident outside a residence about 9pm.

A senior police officer is facing potential time behind bars over leaked photos of Laidley while in custody.

A male Senior Constable from the southern metropolitan region has been suspended with pay over the scandal.

He has been interviewed for criminal conduct and could be charged with unauthorised disclosure of information.

The offence carries a two-year maximum jail term and $40, 000 in fines.

The officer will also face internal disciplinary action.

Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton offered a personal apology to Laidley over the gross breach of police conduct.

He said the leak was “unlawful” and investigators will leave no stone unturned in determining how the images got out.

The probe will also look into the motive of the leak, including whether transphobia was a factor.

“I am appalled an employee of Victoria Police has taken these photographs,” Mr Patton said.

“It is unacceptable conduct. It is appalling conduct and there is no place for it in our organisation.

“This is a breach of privacy, a breach of human rights and we are taking the matter extremely seriously.”

Investigators believe six other people were sent the photo of Laidley during his police interview and his official mugshot.

Deputy Commissioner said these people will be scrutinised and could face criminal charges.

The senior constable’s phone will be thoroughly “interrogated” as part of the investigation.

“We will be stepping through the entire process. We will be interrogating the phone of the member and looking at a forensic examination to see where this leads,” Mr Patton said.

The officer was interviewed by police today and was said to be remorseful for his actions.

He is cooperating with Professional Standard Command detectives.

Mr Patton apologised to Laidley on behalf of the force, vowing to make sure it never happens again.

“Clearly we have let down that person whose photos were taken. We have breached his privacy and I apologise on behalf of Victoria Police,” he said.

“That conduct should never occurred by an officer. But it has and all we can do now is take it as seriously as we can so we can take actions so everyone knows we view this as being totally unacceptable and totally appalling conduct,” he said.

Photos of Laidley wearing a wig and female clothing at the time of his arrest emerged and were widely shared on social media last night as news broke of his *!arrest.

The Herald Sun has been told the premiership player also allegedly demanded to be called Daniella while being interviewed at the police station.

The leaker who distributed former AFL player and coach Dean Laidley’s photos from inside a police station acted in an “idiotic” way, says Police Minister Lisa Neville.

Ms Neville said she expected Victoria Police to take “strong” action against the culprit to stamp out the behaviour.

“It was an idiotic thing to do,” Ms Neville said.

“This is completely unacceptable to breach privacy,” Ms Neville said.

“I understand from my discussions with the deputy commissioner an investigation is underway and fast action will be taken and we will go to that issue this afternoon.

“Police have absolutely taken seriously this is a real breach.

“It’s unacceptable. They’ve said that themselves.

“I think you will see this afternoon fast action as a result of that investigation will be taken.”

Ms Neville said she shocked the images had been leaked, but she believed the breach was more because of his footballing background rather than being a transphobic act.

Laidley was wearing women’s clothing when he was arrested and questioned at the weekend.

Ms Neville also said she was confident police command would take “strong” action today.

NORTH MELBOURNE VOWS TO SUPPORT LAIDLEY
    Laidley’s former employers North Melbourne and the league’s playing and coach support groups will attempt to find ways to support him despite his dramatic descent.

The 53-year-old has been arrested for stalking, with his privacy then breached when photos of him dressed in women’s clothing last night were made public.

Former North Melbourne player Mark Brayshaw, now the AFL Coaches Association chief executive, told the Herald Sun the body was determined to help the former senior coach.

“His issues haven’t escaped our attention. We are in conversations with North Melbourne and the players association to try to work out the best way we can help him.”

Some of Laidley issues were known across the North Melbourne past players network but few were aware of the extent of them.

Past players spoken to today were shocked at his fall from grace and wondering if they could have done more to help him out.

But the man commonly known by players as “The Bible” given he was so hard to read was also seen as something of a loner who kept his own counsel.

Laidley took over as coach at Essendon District Football League Premier Division club Maribyrnong Park in 2019.

He steered the Lions to a sixth-placed finish in his first season at the helm after they waved goodbye to several big names.

When he was appointed in September, 2018, Laidley declared his desire to “build the football club into one of the elite clubs in the EDFL” and said he envisaged his stay at Monk Oval to be long term.

Maribyrnong Park is yet to make a decision about Laidley’s hold on the top job as suburban clubs prepare for a potential return to the field amid the coronavirus crisis.

“At this point, the club has no comment to make. Our position is no comment,” president Andrew Brockfield said.

“We won’t be offering any statements at this stage.”

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I question why some news services have run with the photo's and the story.
    Because they're massive, parasitic piles of shit.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    This is a case for ESD (Ethical Standards Department) to get onto. Very unethical.
    PSC these days Eastie. Professional Standards Command.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hopefully it's just a very small portion of the force and I would imagine someone will lose their job.
    Their job is the least of their worries.

They'll be going to court and I don't see a defence for them.

It is the height of stupidity and arrogance to think that the member involved:

A) Thought this was a good idea
    B) Thought there would be no consequences for their actions.
    C) Thought they wouldn't be found out.

I'm beyond pissed off right now.

21. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post