Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dean Laidley arrested and remanded until May 11

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The rumours about Laidley cross dressing have been around for a long time. And whilst I have absolutely no problem if that’s his thing, to have it come out as splashed on the front of the herald sun along with commentary around an ice addiction and other details would be a harrowing ordeal for his family and friends.

Feel sorry for Laidley and all involved.
    I understand the gross invasion of privacy would be harrowing for Laidley's family but I struggle to find sympathy for Laidley who, if proven, has stalked and threatened to kill. Why are the anonymous victims in these cases almost always ignored when the alleged criminal is a high profile ex sportsman/actor/musician? There are tens of thousands of people suffering from mental illness in the community who do not stalk and threaten to kill other people.

I could care less about Laidley's personal life choices - as others have alluded, the cross dressing rumours have been around for well over 20 years - but the alleged criminal behaviour is what is reprehensible if proven to be true.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I understand the gross invasion of privacy would be harrowing for Laidley's family but I struggle to find sympathy for Laidley who, if proven, has stalked and threatened to kill. Why are the anonymous victims in these cases almost always ignored when the alleged criminal is a high profile ex sportsman/actor/musician? There are tens of thousands of people suffering from mental illness in the community who do not stalk and threaten to kill other people.

I could care less about Laidley's personal life choices - as others have alluded, the cross dressing rumours have been around for well over 20 years - but the alleged criminal behaviour is what is reprehensible if proven to be true.
    Of course they are, but as of now, it is alleged, not proven.

The bolded bits are one of numerous things that make this thing so vile - it is unproven. Right now, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence. If allegations are proven, then whatever punishment is deemed necessary should be doled out. Until then, the facts are that some a-hole thought it was OK to take and distribute these images, or that he wouldn't get caught doing so, and that someone clearly suffering some sort of psychological issue can and should be the butt of jokes.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Of course they are, but as of now, it is alleged, not proven.

The bolded bits are one of numerous things that make this thing so vile - it is unproven. Right now, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence. If allegations are proven, then whatever punishment is deemed necessary should be doled out. Until then, the facts are that some a-hole thought it was OK to take and distribute these images, or that he wouldn't get caught doing so, and that someone clearly suffering some sort of psychological issue can and should be the butt of jokes.
    Strangely enough if no photos were leaked Laidley would be getting absolutely no support at the moment from the football community due to the nature of the charges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Because they're massive, parasitic piles of shit.
    I used to like it when the news was just 30 minutes long not 1 hour long.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Strangely enough if no photos were leaked Laidley would be getting absolutely no support at the moment from the football community due to the nature of the charges.
    What are the charges?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I still think he'd be getting some support but it would only from his closest allies. The mental health challenges that have been mentioned will be taken into consideration
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What are the charges?
    Laidley now faces “seven charges all up”, including: One each of stalking, committing an indictable offence while on bail and persistent breach of a family violence order and four other intervention order breaches.

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I used to like it when the news was just 30 minutes long not 1 hour long.
    You watch the wrong TV Station
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

This sums up my thoughts too.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace raises an interesting question about why so many coaches seem to struggle.
    By his reckoning there have been 5 in recent years (Laidley, Thompson, Frawley, Hird and Walsh)

I know it's a very demanding industry but coaches receive substantially more training than the vast majority of the community and yet many are struggling with their decision making. They should be able to see the signs and seek help before it escalates to the point where someone's life is in danger or even their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Terry Wallace raises an interesting question about why so many coaches seem to struggle.
    By his reckoning there have been 5 in recent years (Laidley, Thompson, Frawley, Hird and Walsh)

I know it's a very demanding industry but coaches receive substantially more training than the vast majority of the community and yet many are struggling with their decision making. They should be able to see the signs and seek help before it escalates to the point where someone's life is in danger or even their own.
    What was Phil Walsh struggling with? Was James Hird struggling before his life was ripped to shreds (albeit largely of his own doing)?

These are genuine questions. I know Frawley had been struggling with depression for a number of years, but was that actually linked to coaching?

What drives the personality traits of the likes of Laidley and Thompson? Are they drawn to coaching because of who they inherently are?

I think coaches have a hugely stressful job, though I don't know whether this type of questioning from Wallace is actually useful or relevant right now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Walsh was regarded as a workaholic and had a lot of trouble relaxing and Hird obviously suffered depression after the fiasco at Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

I think Walsh was regarded as a workaholic and had a lot of trouble relaxing and Hird obviously suffered depression after the fiasco at Essendon
    Surely you can't add Walsh in there. He had a son with a mental illness who killed him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I missed something with Walsh.

Grant Thomas commented after he retired about his issues with sleeping and self medicating with wine a lot to make the music stop pretty regularly.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if I missed something with Walsh.

Grant Thomas commented after he retired about his issues with sleeping and self medicating with wine a lot to make the music stop pretty regularly.
    Those things have been happening for the last 150 years. Terry is just talking rubbish.