Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballarat games high on Bulldogs’ agenda

link

The Western Bulldogs hope to honour their commitment to playing AFL matches in Ballarat in 2020, if the 2020 season can be completed as it’s intended.

The Bulldogs were scheduled to play two games at Mars Stadium this year, in Rounds 8 and 22, before the season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

CEO Ameet Bains told SEN’s Gerard Whateley that while the notion of hosting AFL games at VU Whitten Oval has become “less plausible”, hosting games in Ballarat is still a high priority for the Club.
    “For us, playing in Ballarat is critical. We obviously continue to play a couple of games a year there at Mars Stadium,” Bains said.

“We enjoy playing there. We also have an agreement with the State Government and the City of Ballarat, so we think it remains a great opportunity.

“(With) an expectation of no crowds in the first part of whatever the revised fixture looks like, there’s even an opportunity to potentially play Victorian teams.

“There are many different concepts that everyone is starting to spit-ball, about what’s possible in the back half of the year.

“We’d love to be able to play our games at Ballarat this year, and the balance of those at Marvel Stadium.”

City of Ballarat director of community development Neville Ivey recently told the Ballarat Courier: “Mars Stadium is certainly open for business and available for AFL football this season. We are not sure what the revised fixture will look like, but we will do our best to accommodate any request from the AFL.”

The AFL is expected to make an announcement soon on arrangements for the return to training for AFL Clubs, as it plans to complete the remaining 144 games plus finals in the 2020 season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ballarat games high on Bulldogs’ agenda

And we should push as hard as we can for this to happen.
    We need to be all in for the Ballarat venture

I'd love to be able to keep going to games there but that is very unlikely.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And we should push as hard as we can for this to happen.
    We need to be all in for the Ballarat venture

I'd love to be able to keep going to games there but that is very unlikely.
    I honestly can't see any of us going to the footy this year mate. It's a crying shame but it is what it is.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I honestly can't see any of us going to the footy this year mate. It's a crying shame but it is what it is.
    I'd be surprised if we are going in the first half of the season next year as well

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be surprised if we are going in the first half of the season next year as well
    Hopefully there will be some sort of social distancing measures implemented to allow smaller crowds to attend. Not sure how it would be decided who could go in that scenario though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Hopefully there will be some sort of social distancing measures implemented to allow smaller crowds to attend. Not sure how it would be decided who could go in that scenario though.
    I don't see how this works at the larger venues as even if you sit people 3 or 4 seats away from each people will invariably have to push past each other to get to their allocated seats.

You might have a chance at venues like Ballarat to spread a smaller number of people efficiently but the bigger grounds have longer rows of seats and I think that is problematic.

What might happen is an improved testing process but at the moment I think we are a long way off having stadiums even 25% filled with fans

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how this works at the larger venues as even if you sit people 3 or 4 seats away from each people will invariably have to push past each other to get to their allocated seats.

You might have a chance at venues like Ballarat to spread a smaller number of people efficiently but the bigger grounds have longer rows of seats and I think that is problematic.

What might happen is an improved testing process but at the moment I think we are a long way off having stadiums even 25% filled with fans
    I don't see it happening this season, but next season is over 10 months away, surely they can come up with something that balances the needs of the fans and their safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't see it happening this season, but next season is over 10 months away, surely they can come up with something that balances the needs of the fans and their safety.
    Yeah I think so. Can't see us going to games in 2020 even if they did say we could go I would still be weary. 2021 hopefully will be able to go again. I have missed going to watch the Dogs with fellow fans but it is what it is.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"