Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Off course: AFL return plan rocked by Crows' Barossa training session

I've heard suggestions of docking points as well as taking away a draft pick...seems extremely harsh to me.

A fine should suffice, surely.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Sedat, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading this story, I feel as though some parts of the country have gone slightly mad. Is docking points really a consideration? There has been only 1 new case of COVID in the entire state of SA in nearly 3 weeks. It's a stuff-up by the Crows but why are the same predictable, shrill, boring, self-righteous, over-inflated, elitist sections of the sports media demanding such significant penalties? Are they that pathetically desperate for attention from the public, who are discovering how inconsequential sport (and especially sports media) actually is when far more important issues like their mental health and livelihoods have been heavily compromised for the last 2 months (with many more months and possibly even years to follow)?

Surely a fine would suffice.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Thanks EasternWest thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    That's not the issue.

The issue is that they've started training aa group when Victorian clubs are prohibited from doing so.

The AFL said that there was to be no group training until it could be done by all clubs.
    Well that's not really the only issue.

The AFL needs to be able to demonstrate that its players and officials can be disciplined enough to meet strict protocols that are likely to be placed on them when the season starts.

That Adelaide wasn't able to follow the simplest of these protocols when their players were supposed to be quarantined under state laws is a massive issue for the AFL.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reading this story, I feel as though some parts of the country have gone slightly mad. Is docking points really a consideration? There has been only 1 new case of COVID in the entire state of SA in nearly 3 weeks. It's a stuff-up by the Crows but why are the same predictable, shrill, boring, self-righteous, over-inflated, elitist sections of the sports media demanding such significant penalties? Are they that pathetically desperate for attention from the public, who are discovering how inconsequential sport (and especially sports media) actually is when far more important issues like their mental health and livelihoods have been heavily compromised for the last 2 months (with many more months and possibly even years to follow)?

Surely a fine would suffice.
    I knew Whately piping up would get your attention!

Docking points is pretty serious, removing draft picks is as well. I personally think the officials and players involved knew the rules and were trying to be clever and got caught out and they're stupid for it. But I tend to agree a fine should be enough, with the threat of further breaches being punished more severely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I knew Whately piping up would get your attention!

Docking points is pretty serious, removing draft picks is as well. I personally think the officials and players involved knew the rules and were trying to be clever and got caught out and they're stupid for it. But I tend to agree a fine should be enough, with the threat of further breaches being punished more severely.
    AFL is soft as butter. A fine is nothing to these clubs these days. $5000, $10,000 big deal, they turnover more than $50 million.

What happens next time there is a breach? Another fine?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think docking of points is overs
    It will be a fine

Post Thanks / Like

Dock points. There is no way that the wrong in this can be overstated. It was a rotten thing to do on so many levels I'd have no problem with taking away draft picks or suspending players for a year either. The old the "next team getting caught get's a worse penalty" doesn't fly in this case

They knew they were taking a chance and cheating the system and the AFL have to come down hard. IMO It's far worse than Essendon's drug cheating.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dock points. There is no way that the wrong in this can be overstated. It was a rotten thing to do on so many levels I'd have no problem with taking away draft picks or suspending players for a year either. The old the "next team getting caught get's a worse penalty" doesn't fly in this case

They knew they were taking a chance and cheating the system and the AFL have to come down hard. IMO It's far worse than Essendon's drug cheating.
    People think they can get away with it. I just came back from a walk around the park, and lots of people walking in bunches of 5, 6 because they think " well covid-19 infections are low, what does it matter". I saw people arriving at houses with flowers, obviously visiting their mothers. The reason we are where we are is because by and large people have stuck to the rules, as should have the Crows. It was only a day earlier the AFL said they wouldn't tolerate breaking of rules and players have to be on their best behavior, so lets see what penalty is dished out and how tough they are.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL should fine the players and the coach who have all just had substantial pay cut and should have known better. This will get the players a bit more interested in following the rules. The players should also have been instructed to start the 14 day isolation period again.

The other option is suspend them all for a game as that will get all clubs very focused on following the rules

It's not as effective in fining the club because of the current financial situation and draft penalties or loss of premiership points is just
    a bit harsh.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

delete rumour
    Last edited by bornadog; 11-05-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to ask you to unpack this a little bit mate, because I can't see how a bit of circle work outside is worse than a systemic drug program that put player health at direct risk.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, docking points is the way to go.

How many offending players? 8?

8 points gone.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Yep, docking points is the way to go.

How many offending players? 8?

8 points gone.

But we have to be consistent.

How many cars did Hunter write off? 4?

4 points gone from us too.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Off course: AFL return plan rocked by Crows' Barossa training session

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm going to ask you to unpack this a little bit mate, because I can't see how a bit of circle work outside is worse than a systemic drug program that put player health at direct risk.
    Sure thing J. Firstly there is a pandemic going around that the medical world haven't got a handle on yet meaning the player's were putting their health at risk without being fully informed on the dangers for a start. Then there is the arrogance of thinking society's rules don't apply to them and then there is the cheating aspect-other club's players can't train together so why do Crows' players think they can?

If any of the player's got the Coronavirus, it developed into Covid-19 and they died would that be OK? It's contagious, drugs aren't. You can be asymptomatic and pass it on to others without realizing you have it, or they can go home and pass it into their kids or partners. At least those kids and partners' (maybe not the kids but you get my point) would get to choose whether or not they take drugs-even PEDs-unless they are held down and forcibly shoved down their throat. That choice isn't available with this highly contagious disease If you come into contact with a sufferer then you will probably catch it.

And why should those club's players who obeyed the rules be behind the 8-ball when it comes to fitness and coordination because another club's players didn't?

You and I played footy at a competitive level, An infectious disease will go through a football clubrooms like a dose of salts-If players go back next week as planned and these blokes are asymptomatic they were putting their own teammates at danger depending on how long they remain contagious which nobody knows yet. I'd be *!*!*!*!ing ropable if my teammates put me at risk like that.

Enough? I have several more, such as endangering the restart of the season, there was a slight chance that it may have restarted but thanks to them that is gone. These blokes have got off lightly IMO. They may as well be licking hand rails in public toilets or stair rails.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I understand all of that TD, but the actual risks are small and the same folks would be able to go to their local shopping centre and do a lot worse every day.

That's the silly thing about this whole situation.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but there seems to be a lot of contradictions out there and most of them are in some way aligned to overall risk. With that in mind and in the context of the AFL, I think injecting players without keeping records or really knowing what you're injecting into them in the first place is worse.

21. Likes Sedat liked this post