Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Daniel says Bulldogs players are ready to seize opportunities that present this season

Caleb Daniel says Bulldogs players are ready to seize opportunities that present this season

Western Bulldogs defender Caleb Daniel says his team would be AFL-fit by a potential June 11 restart, ready to take advantage of a season he says is ripe with opportunity.

Daniel on Sunday drove home from Adelaide with 16-month-old rottweiler Hugo to ramp up training ahead of a season that could start by early next month.

As Adelaide again implodes and West Australian clubs face significant advantages, Daniel said the Dogs saw potential in a season where the team that can best deal with adversity will finish on top.

Daniel lauded former captain Easton Wood, who has taken banned midfielder Lachie Hunter under his wing and is training with the former vice-captain.

Hunter will miss four games for his recent Middle Park car crash, but Daniel said the Dogs could hit the ground running if the season was to start with as little as four weeks notice.

“I think so, there are certain things you can’t train for and we haven’t don’t as much skilled-based stuff as you normally would but we would be able to get those training loads up and get ready for games. We will start lifting up to match intensity so I reckon in a month we would be right,” he told the Herald Sun.

“There is stuff you can’t really do until you are in training (with a group) but as soon as we get into more of a team training mode there will be a lot more benefits that will come out of it than people might think.

“The season is definitely an opportunity, if you look at it like that we are really poised to have a real crack at it. Through the zoom chats with the boys, they are really excited to get back and looking forward to going out there with 40 mates and training and playing games. You want to put on a good show.”

Daniel drove home to Adelaide after the season went into hiatus to spend time with his parents and relatives.

After wishing mum Karen a happy Mother’s Day, the drive home was scheduled to take up to nine hours, taking into account rottweiler Hugo’s regular toilet stops.

While he was away he missed Hunter’s transgression but he says Wood’s leadership in teaming up with his teammate to train smacks of the layers of leadership at the club.

“It was really good leadership. Lachie is the first to admit he made a pretty big error of judgment and with the way he has put himself into his training, although he has that four-week ban he will still be a massive leader without the title,” he said.

“They will work perfectly together. They are pretty close and live near each other in Port Melbourne so I am sure Easton would have chucked his hand up and tried to help out as much as possible considering they live close.”

Daniel has been watching the AFL pay saga from afar and says players will be prepared to take pay cuts under a revised CBA if it comes to that over summer.

“Yeah, absolutely. I think we can’t fully expect the AFL to pay it all out. We have lost a lot of money through this period and with no fans we will take our cut and a lot of guys are happy to. We had a chat about it as a group and we back the AFLPA and all the players to do the right decision by us. (Patty Dangerfield) is doing a great job. He has full support from the players. We are backing him in and he’s got all the support in the world from us,” he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb Daniel says Bulldogs players are ready to seize opportunities that present this season

Caleb has a rottweiler?
    I assume that means he saves on petrol.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb Daniel says Bulldogs players are ready to seize opportunities that present this season

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Caleb has a rottweiler?
    The Rotty's are a brilliant dog. I had one growing up and he was a quick learner plus very protective

Caleb has made a good decision on a pet dog
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Caleb has a rottweiler?
    The pet shop told him it was a rottweiler but it's actually a corgi.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you say Caleb but what happened V Collingwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I was about to say the same thing, what went down in "seizing that opportunity"

I's still filthy with us for that match, its made me wholly and utterly disinterested in footy returning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post

I's still filthy with us for that match, its made me wholly and utterly disinterested in footy returning.
    Same here. If that's the rubbish we're going to serve up in 2020, happy to give the whole thing a wide berth.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Same here. If that's the rubbish we're going to serve up in 2020, happy to give the whole thing a wide berth.
    That one bad loss has really taken the wind out of our sails. Over the pre-season and right across the forum there was a substantial level of optimism for the 2020 season. I guess the loss against Collingwood was also a sharp reminder of the GWS loss but I remain hopeful that we have learned some valuable lessons and should return with an improved hunger

Huge test for Bevo to have the players fully focused
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That one bad loss has really taken the wind out of our sails. Over the pre-season and right across the forum there was a substantial level of optimism for the 2020 season. I guess the loss against Collingwood was also a sharp reminder of the GWS loss but I remain hopeful that we have learned some valuable lessons and should return with an improved hunger

Huge test for Bevo to have the players fully focused
    I know you can only take so much from a pre-season game, but the Power loss put the spotlight on our incredibly weak defensive group and round 1 only reinforced it. If we go in with that line up - which I think we will, it's going to be a painful little run of games.