Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was....Steve Kolyniuk?

In his first year of footy I met his father at a function. His father was 40 years old and still playing soccer in St Albans.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing I can consistently remember about Kolynuik was his ability to kick to ball of one or two steps. At times it used to frustrate me but he wasn't bad at it.

Cheeky player who could kick a goal and a tough hard nosed type.

He was very popular with the fans and had a lot of them wearing his number
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Too high brow...…..meaning I'm deriding it because I don't understand......please help.
    I feel like I've told this story before but I played against him once and he wouldn't walk when I snicked him off, so told him to "get the **** off mate" or maybe something more descriptive.

Then between innings I checked the scorebook and found out it was Steve. Would probably have been a bit kinder had I known, but I also should have probably recognised him from the signed picture I had of him on my wall for about 10 years when I was a kid.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    You once confided in me when we met in Sydney that your favourite all time Dogs player was Ben Harrison - how does Bamblett compare to him?
    Favorably!

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Gun player. Injuries blunted his career and longevity, but the impact he had was big and much beyond the Wright goal.

In terms of who he was most like - Toby Greene......not as much of a mongrel, but his goal sense, hands, strength and ability to mark remind me of Toby Greene
    That's a bloody good comparison. Toby Grene like skills without the massive chip on his shoulder or the sharp fingernails.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In his first year of footy I met his father at a function. His father was 40 years old and still playing soccer in St Albans.
    I still play (indoor) soccer and European handball-although covid-19 has us on pause ATM. If there is anything more fun than standing in goal watching your son run at you with the ball at his feet or stripping the ball from him in a contest (and it still happens every now and then) I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I feel like I've told this story before but I played against him once and he wouldn't walk when I snicked him off, so told him to "get the **** off mate" or maybe something more descriptive.

Then between innings I checked the scorebook and found out it was Steve. Would probably have been a bit kinder had I known, but I also should have probably recognised him from the signed picture I had of him on my wall for about 10 years when I was a kid.
    Tell your story walking pal. is my fave sledge when that happens.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Side note, pretty much irrelevant.

I believe his sister was a cheer leader with the Melbourne Storm for a time, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I still can't remember the opponent, but Koly delivered the best 'bitch slap' I have seen or heard on a footy field. At the Whitten Oval, naturally.

He was at HF (as you expect) and there was a contest in which a few players ran the ball over the line at pace. Koly and his opponent ended up a few metres down the Bulldogs player's race. The opponent said something Koly didn't like, and Koly bitch-slapped his cheek so hard I swear the front row of the EJ Whitten stand could have heard it. Being in the race itself, no camera would have caught it (smart boy).

We all laughed as it was such a loud sound and slapping is such an uncommon action in footy. Both players ran back to get to the fall of the ball after the throw-in and just played on.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I still can't remember the opponent, but Koly delivered the best 'bitch slap' I have seen or heard on a footy field. At the Whitten Oval, naturally.

He was at HF (as you expect) and there was a contest in which a few players ran the ball over the line at pace. Koly and his opponent ended up a few metres down the Bulldogs player's race. The opponent said something Koly didn't like, and Koly bitch-slapped his cheek so hard I swear the front row of the EJ Whitten stand could have heard it. Being in the race itself, no camera would have caught it (smart boy).

We all laughed as it was such a loud sound and slapping is such an uncommon action in footy. Both players ran back to get to the fall of the ball after the throw-in and just played on.
    In Gia's first preseason they were doing match practice and Terry Wallace (I think it was Plough) sent Libba to him to give him the treatment. Gia put up with it until he could put up with it no more, called him a prick and bitch slapped him right in the middle of the ground and you're right the noise echoed all around the ground. Poor Gia looked terrified but Libba just looked over to Terry standing on the sidelines and yelled "is that what you were looking for Plough?" and Terry gave Libba the thumbs up. Libba smiled and said something along the lines of "welcome to League footy mate" and just ran to the next contest.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In Gia's first preseason they were doing match practice and Terry Wallace (I think it was Plough) sent Libba to him to give him the treatment. Gia put up with it until he could put up with it no more, called him a prick and bitch slapped him right in the middle of the ground and you're right the noise echoed all around the ground. Poor Gia looked terrified but Libba just looked over to Terry standing on the sidelines and yelled "is that what you were looking for Plough?" and Terry gave Libba the thumbs up. Libba smiled and said something along the lines of "welcome to League footy mate" and just ran to the next contest.
    Bob Murphy jarred his finger in one of his early training drills, and Libba just looked at him and yelled "you've got 9 more!". Bobby quickly got the message and played on.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There isn't one I don't think. He was a little bit unique for his time from what I remember (I was twelve in 1992), and guys like him end up being more defencive in their roles now.

I mean who today is 5'8 and kicks a bit more than a goal a game under strong defencive marking? As I said he just seemed to be a bit under the weather too often to get a good read on how good he could have been.

Super smart and always a bit sneaky.

This video gets a huge run around here, but watch how he is able to run onto his right and let his bouncing skills and pace dominate a quick and dour defender, and even ensure at full pace a less than perfect flat ball drop onto the boot still split the middle (which is the ultimate sign of an extremely gifted user of the footy on the run).

Bruce McAvaney (AKA King Pervert) went completely nuts one day when Wanganeen bounced the ball either side before using his preferred foot under no pressure, I reckon what we see here would have set him off if Kolyniuk was an indigenous player.*

*I only reference this because Bruce is a complete creep (borderline patronising) when it comes to calling indigenous footballers.
    My favourite Bulldogs goal prior to 2016. A couple of observations:

1) Leon Cameron precision 60m kick perfectly to the advantage of Kolyniuk is as good as it gets - if his name was Nathan Buckley he'd already be in the HoF
    2) McAvaney was a masterful commentator before he became a creepy caricature - this passage perfectly encapsulates the right balance of excitement and accuracy. He has been completely and utterly unlistenable for at least 25 years.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Extremely clever and skillful
    I think his career has been understated
    Bit of a nasty side as well ( hello peter matera)
    Cost us in 97 with his ill discipline, but we played on the edge then .
    Agree with Borna , he’d be handy now

14. Likes bornadog liked this post