Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How good was....Steve Kolyniuk?

Some of us like me are too young to have seen some great footy players and maybe some of us are so old we cannot remember....

I never saw the best of Steve Kolyniuk - how good was he?

[Edit] What modern day player is he most like?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was....Steve Kolyniuk?

Really good.

Injuries limited him, but he was really really good in a very difficult position to be effective consistently in an era when back pocket/flanker players were lock down and more defencively minded than they are now. Always likely to bob up for a goal or two.

EDIT - just checked his wiki page to make sure I wasn't remembering through rose coloured glasses. He's a bloody Larke Medal winner.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Dry Rot, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Really good.

Injuries limited him, but he was really really good in a very difficult position to be effective consistently in an era when back pocket/flanker players were lock down and more defencively minded than they are now. Always likely to bob up for a goal or two.

EDIT - just checked his wiki page to make sure I wasn't remembering through rose coloured glasses. He's a bloody Larke Medal winner.
    Thanks. What modern day player is he most like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There isn't one I don't think. He was a little bit unique for his time from what I remember (I was twelve in 1992), and guys like him end up being more defencive in their roles now.

I mean who today is 5'8 and kicks a bit more than a goal a game under strong defencive marking? As I said he just seemed to be a bit under the weather too often to get a good read on how good he could have been.

Super smart and always a bit sneaky.

This video gets a huge run around here, but watch how he is able to run onto his right and let his bouncing skills and pace dominate a quick and dour defender, and even ensure at full pace a less than perfect flat ball drop onto the boot still split the middle (which is the ultimate sign of an extremely gifted user of the footy on the run).

Bruce McAvaney (AKA King Pervert) went completely nuts one day when Wanganeen bounced the ball either side before using his preferred foot under no pressure, I reckon what we see here would have set him off if Kolyniuk was an indigenous player.*

*I only reference this because Bruce is a complete creep (borderline patronising) when it comes to calling indigenous footballers.

7. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Eastdog, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There isn't one I don't think. He was a little bit unique for his time from what I remember (I was twelve in 1992), and guys like him end up being more defencive in their roles now.

I mean who today is 5'8 and kicks a bit more than a goal a game under strong defencive marking? As I said he just seemed to be a bit under the weather too often to get a good read on how good he could have been.

Super smart and always a bit sneaky.

This video gets a huge run around here, but watch how he is able to run onto his right and let his bouncing skills and pace dominate a quick and dour defender, and even ensure at full pace a less than perfect flat ball drop onto the boot still split the middle (which is the ultimate sign of an extremely gifted user of the footy on the run).

Bruce McAvaney (AKA King Pervert) went completely nuts one day when Wanganeen bounced the ball either side before using his preferred foot under no pressure, I reckon what we see here would have set him off if Kolyniuk was an indigenous player.*

*I only reference this because Bruce is a complete creep (borderline patronising) when it comes to calling indigenous footballers.
    Thanks. Some impressive work there.

Somehow the game (only in those highlights) looks faster. And I still miss those goal umpires in the white coats....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Some impressive work there.

Somehow the game (only in those highlights) looks faster. And I still miss those goal umpires in the white coats....
    In that play you had three elite ball users get a goal. Atkins hands were amazing to get the full fifteen metres to Leon, and Leon's kick to Billy was perfect. Then Billy did Billy and the rest is history, and I still remember the buzz I had when that happened as I heard having not gone to the game.

Sure the game was more open and quick then, but it was also easier to execute skills. Today's players under those conditions would dominate but it's useless comparing eras generally. A lot of games in those days were still really shit. Free flowing, but shit nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve was a great small forward from his first year of playing footy.

Here is an extract from the series written by Andrew Gigacz titled on this day read here

For most of those fans, the highlight of the year was the Bulldogs' heart-stopping win over Collingwood at the MCG in July, with Steve Kolyniuk the hero after he marked a pass from Leon Cameron and ran around Magpie Graham Wright to kick a beautiful running goal, giving Footscray a three-point win in a thriller.

But 11 weeks earlier, on this day (May 12th) 30 years ago, the Footscray Bulldogs won an even closer contest, in their only other match of the season at the MCG. And Steve Kolyniuk again played a pivotal role in the win.

Taking on North Melbourne, the Dogs got away to a flyer and, with 17-year-old Chris Grant on fire in just his seventh AFL game, booted seven goals to one to lead by 38 points at quarter time. Grant kicked four of those seven goals............

Steve Kolyniuk, still just 19 years of age, and known to his teammates as Billy the Kid, was one of the Bulldogs' match-winners, gathering 23 possessions and kicking two goals.

He often would run around a player like he did against Wright and run into open goals. Played some great games for us, and I would love a small forward like him in the team now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks jeemak, Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was like Les Bamblett...

You must have a contact high about what he like from the amount of times I have carried on about him?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Steve was a great small forward from his first year of playing footy.

Here is an extract from the series written by Andrew Gigacz titled on this day read here

He often would run around a player like he did against Wright and run into open goals. Played some great games for us, and I would love a small forward like him in the team now.
    Post of the year. Excellent work BAD.

Post Thanks / Like

He's definitely not much of a cricketer.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He's definitely not much of a cricketer.
    Too high brow...…..meaning I'm deriding it because I don't understand......please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He was like Les Bamblett...

You must have a contact high about what he like from the amount of times I have carried on about him?
    You once confided in me when we met in Sydney that your favourite all time Dogs player was Ben Harrison - how does Bamblett compare to him?

Post Thanks / Like

You once confided in me when we met in Sydney that your favourite all time Dogs player was Ben Harrison - how does Bamblett compare to him?
    If those hotel walls could speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Gun player. Injuries blunted his career and longevity, but the impact he had was big and much beyond the Wright goal.

In terms of who he was most like - Toby Greene......not as much of a mongrel, but his goal sense, hands, strength and ability to mark remind me of Toby Greene

Post Thanks / Like

I had a long sleeve jumper with his number on it in the 90s. We loved Billy, a good nose for goal and seemed to always have enough options in his bag of tricks.

Hard to put him up against any current players. He was a goal sneak, but not in the way we think of pests like Milne, or Didak or whicheverlittle arsehole is in vogue at the moment.