Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How good was....Tony Modra?

Some of us like me are too young to have seen some great footy players and maybe some of us are so old we cannot remember....

I never saw the best of Tony Modra - how good was he?

[Edit] What modern day player is he most like?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was....Tony Modra?

Best Bong Head to play the game.

EDIT - just checked his wiki page, no mention of bongs.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Best Bong Head to play the game.

EDIT - just checked his wiki page, no mention of bongs.
    Is that what got him so high in marking contests?

Have only seen fragments and highlights of Modra, but they were pretty spectacular.

4. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Is that what got him so high in marking contests?

Have only seen fragments and highlights of Modra, but they were pretty spectacular.
    He was someone you just knew if you watched him he was likely to rip it apart. 3.5 goals a game with plenty of injuries to boot throughout his career is just elite.

If he was a player in the 80's then his legend would be a lot bigger as a player of his skills and size would have had a fair bit more to offer in those days before the game started to modernise.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Ablett Snr he had incredibly fast twitch muscle fibres allowing him to jump from a fair way out, he was a great reader of the ball through the air and had impeccable timing. He was a small key forward and so good above his head that the oppostition was forced to play bigger players on him, this provided awkward and dangerous situations at ground level. He had x-factor no matter where the ball was - crafted goals out of nothing many times.

Great player, lazy-ish but he's not the first Alpha male in the herd to have this trait, was pretty non-assuming non-fussed on the field so his personality was hard to get a read on. He was still a solid lead up player when he needed to be.

He's like no-one playing today. Maybe a bit Aaron Hamill but not as tough, a bit Eddie Betts but not as crafty. I dunno. Played too long and his last year was rife with Gia-type shoves to get his opponent under the ball so he could double back for Joe the Gooses.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Dry Rot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Like Ablett Snr he had incredibly fast twitch muscle fibres allowing him to jump from a fair way out, he was a great reader of the ball through the air and had impeccable timing. He was a small key forward and so good above his head that the oppostition was forced to play bigger players on him, this provided awkward and dangerous situations at ground level. He had x-factor no matter where the ball was - crafted goals out of nothing many times.

Great player, lazy-ish but he's not the first Alpha male in the herd to have this trait, was pretty non-assuming non-fussed on the field so his personality was hard to get a read on. He was still a solid lead up player when he needed to be.

He's like no-one playing today. Maybe a bit Aaron Hamill but not as tough, a bit Eddie Betts but not as crafty. I dunno.
    To complete the blend I reckon you could throw in Brad Johnson to the mix of Betts and Hamill. Just a guy who could do things his size wouldn't usually allow.

Post Thanks / Like

To complete the blend I reckon you could throw in Brad Johnson to the mix of Betts and Hamill. Just a guy who could do things his size wouldn't usually allow.
    Was thinking a bit Johnno as well, esp. 2007.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Was thinking a bit Johnno as well, esp. 2007.
    Poor old Johnno, probably the least revered six times All Australian going around...…..given half of them were won as a midfielder and half as a key forward at 182cm.

Post Thanks / Like

His knee cost us a GF spot.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    How so?

Post Thanks / Like

How so?
    Jarman kicked all those goals at FF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I was so close to the action that day I literally heard his knee snap. Dad turned to me and said "what was that noise?" and I stupidly said "That's the noise that takes us into the grand final mate."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One day Johnno was doing something typically Johnno like. He was taking marks he had absolutely no right to take, playing on and kicking goals that he had absolutely no right to kick with 4 opponents hanging off him everytime and won us a game we were always going to lose (not the Adelaide game at the MCG-it was at Etihad maybe V North?).

Anyway after he'd done it the third or fourth time and we fell over the line Sockeye Salmon turned to me and said "If Johnno was three inches taller, people would be saying "Wayne Carey who?" and SS was spot on, 100% correct as per usual.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

How so?
    He did his knee during that PF which then made Jarman go FF and the rest is history.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a game out at Waverly and I think it was a pre-season game where I can recall frequently looking at the footy record for the name of the player wearing number 44 jumper that I had never heard of before. I think he might have kicked 6 on us that day and was jumping on the heads of our typically undersized backline

He had a great career
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"