Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

How good was....Stewart Loewe?

My Saints mate was a great fan, but I only saw a few games towards the end of his career.

At centre-half-forward, Loewe formed a lethal forward-line partnership with full-forward Tony Lockett. He had an awkward kicking style which sometimes resulted in missing easy shots, but his ability to kick long goals and consistent contested marking more than made up for it.

He went on to enjoy a great career, winning All-Australian selection in 1991 and 1992, winning the E. J. Whitten Medal in 1992 and co-captaining the side from 1996 to 1998.

Loewe played in St Kilda’s 1996 AFL Ansett Australia Cup winning side.[2] [3]

Loewe played in 21 of 22 matches in the 1997 AFL premiership season home and away rounds in which St Kilda Football Club qualified in first position for the 1997 AFL Finals Series, winning the club’s 2nd Minor Premiership and 1st McClelland Trophy.[4] He retired in 2002, with 321 games, a record only surpassed at the Saints by Nathan Burke and Robert Harvey.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Loewe

So how good was Lowe and what current day player is he most like?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was....Stewart Loewe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    My Saints mate was a great fan, but I only saw a few games towards the end of his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Loewe

So how good was Lowe and what current day player is he most like?
    I'm picking up a pattern in your threads mate, can't quite put my finger on it but I'll get there.

Anyway, Lowe was called Buckets for a reason. His hands were massive and he could take a really good grab. He just wasn't as good as the likes of Carey, Kernahan, Grant or anyone else of his stature in his day because he kicked the footy like he had a deep seated issue with the person he was delivering the ball to.

What I would say is he was a great player to watch because he would always give an honest contest and a lot of the time clunk a mark. Genuinely the type of player you want on your side as the second best forward......and wouldn't make you unhappy if he was your best.

Just the best of the next best I suppose. Again, nobody really plays like him now as he was more of a nugget player with strong hands than a running player who could get back and forth up the ground as is required these days. All of the players I compared him to above probably could have, we even saw one of them almost win seperate Brownlow's at each end.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm picking up a pattern in your threads mate, can't quite put my finger on it but I'll get there.

There is no footy, I am bored and we can have some fun with these.

Anyway, Lowe was called Buckets for a reason. His hands were massive and he could take a really good grab. He just wasn't as good as the likes of Carey, Kernahan, Grant or anyone else of his stature in his day because he kicked the footy like he had a deep seated issue with the person he was delivering the ball to.

Just the best of the next best I suppose. Again, nobody really plays like him now as he was more of a nugget player with strong hands than a running player who could get back and forth up the ground as is required these days. All of the players I compared him to above probably could have, we even saw one of them almost win two Brownlow's at each end.
    As a CHF, my research suggests that he had a pretty handy and big FF to kick to.

How did that work out?

Post Thanks / Like

There is no footy, I am bored and we can have some fun with these.

As a CHF, my research suggests that he had a pretty handy and big FF to kick to.

How did that work out?
    I'm actually loving it, particularly this one as I often went to Waverley to see the Saints given I lived within a fifteen minute walk and they played there a lot towards the end of his career.

CHF's and their connection with FF's is only ever as good as the players they have around them and unfortunately at the time the Saints just had too many shit players around these guys and Harvey, Burk and Winmar. By the time 97 rolled around and the Saints had developed in other areas Lockett had gone so it's difficult to say just how good they could have been.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Further to Jeemak's description, the one thing I do remember about him was for a big bloke he couldn't kick the ball further than 40 metres. A great mark of the ball - a feature of his games. Played in some awful Saints games, as they weren't much chop.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Further to Jeemak's description, the one thing I do remember about him was for a big bloke he couldn't kick the ball further than 40 metres. A great mark of the ball - a feature of his games. Played in some awful Saints games, as they weren't much chop.
    After many schooners, my old Saints mate often drilled into me about his beloved Saints "It's not your top 6 that matters Rot, it's your bottom 6".

You got feel sorry for the poor bastard.

As a wee small boy, he started following Saints in the VFL in 1965, snagged a flag in 1966 and then.....

After many more schooners, he would recount the dark Saints days from the 80s....poor bastard.

Post Thanks / Like

After many schooners, my old Saints mate often drilled into me about his beloved Saints "It's not your top 6 that matters Rot, it's your bottom 6".

You got feel sorry for the poor bastard.

As a wee small boy, he started following Saints in the VFL in 1965, snagged a flag in 1966 and then.....

After many more schooners, he would recount the dark Saints days from the 80s....poor bastard.
    They had been so much closer than we had in the modern era by the time 2016 rolled around. In the early to mid 00's they were seriously good and after our prelim in 2009 they really got close. If nothing else they are the perfect reason to be so *!*!*!*!ing grateful for what we experienced between then and now.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They had been so much closer than we had in the modern era by the time 2016 rolled around. In the early to mid 00's they were seriously good and after our prelim in 2009 they really got close. If nothing else they are the perfect reason to be so *!*!*!*!ing grateful for what we experienced between then and now.
    Agreed.

They had been so much closer than we had in the modern era by the time 2016 rolled around. In the early to mid 00's they were seriously good and after our prelim in 2009 they really got close.
    Now there's a good idea for a thread - Very good sides unlucky to encounter a great side in a GF

Post Thanks / Like

Buckets. A high performing KPF, likeable character, would slot into any side's forward line at his best without much consideration.

He was playing in the VAFA when I still played too, plenty of blokes star struck around him.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of buckets, I think Barry Round had the biggest hands I have ever seen. I met him at lunch at a work training session, and when shaking hands my arm kind of disappeared, pretty much from the forearm down. Barry often used to hold the ball with one hand, his fingers mid seam to mid seam around the circumference. He was at a Channel 7 lunch at the old John Batman, in Queen Street, with Bernie Quinlan. Heaven for a Dog's supporter.
    Last edited by Jeanette54; 23-05-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

16. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post