Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good sides unlucky to encounter a great side in a GF

Generally you have to be a very goods side to make a GF and its game on. Well, except for the Giants last year....

But I digress.

Port in 2007 were definitely the second best side, but they unfortunately ran into the great 2007 Cats side.

The 2016 Swans were worthy minor premiers but ran into the great Dogs side (thought I would slip that in).

From what I have read, Cats sides in the nineties may have otherwise won a flag but ran into great sides in the GF and didn't. 1995?

The 2002 Pies probably would have a flag in most years, but ran into the start of the great Lions sides.

So name a side and season with a very good team unlucky to run up against real greatness in the GF or finals.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very good sides unlucky to encounter a great side in a GF

Geelong were never good enough, but each year were the best of a bad bunch except in 1993 when the competition was a bit off.

Full credit, but you felt that each time they fronted they were going to get done no matter how much the umpiring bias toward Gary Snr was playing a part, and also because they played Stephen Handly and players like him in a Grand Final. No matter which way you look at it, their periphery players were always ordinary compared to those from who they played in key finals. Over hyped, but also unlucky.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2009 Saints ran into one of the best teams of all time. Any other year, they would have won the flag.

Suckers!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Ozza, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood 2011 were an absolute force, but probably peaked a fraction early and weren't quite as unstoppable come finals time.

Won 20 of the first 21 games, then smashed by Geelong in the last round of the season. In the finals they were able to beat WCE and Hawthorn - but were showing signs of tiring - and ran into one of the great teams in Geelong winning their 3rd in 5 years. Pies were in front half way through the 3rd quarter - but just ran out of steam in a great grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Collingwood 2011 were an absolute force, but probably peaked a fraction early and weren't quite as unstoppable come finals time.

Won 20 of the first 21 games, then smashed by Geelong in the last round of the season. In the finals they were able to beat WCE and Hawthorn - but were showing signs of tiring - and ran into one of the great teams in Geelong winning their 3rd in 5 years. Pies were in front half way through the 3rd quarter - but just ran out of steam in a great grand final.
    Did they win every game they played that year except for the two they played Geelong?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did they win every game they played that year except for the two they played Geelong?
    They lost 3 times in 2011 all to Geelong - twice in home and away and the grand final. They had a huge percentage and thrashed just about everybody else, just couldn't beat the cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong 89. They threw everything at the Hawks in one of the all time great games but just fell short. I suspect that effort would have won many GFs in other years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    They lost 3 times in 2011 all to Geelong - twice in home and away and the grand final. They had a huge percentage and thrashed just about everybody else, just couldn't beat the cats.
    I know the *!*!*!*!ing feling.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon's 2001 side, coming off a premiership and near unbeaten (!) season the year before - looked certain to go back to back - and then ran into one of the very best sides ever in the first of their 3 peat. It was the only GF I have gone to apart from 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Essendon's 2001 side, coming off a premiership and near unbeaten (!) season the year before - looked certain to go back to back - and then ran into one of the very best sides ever in the first of their 3 peat. It was the only GF I have gone to apart from 2016.
    The Lions never finished first in any of their premiership years, they just knew how to prepare for the pointy end of the season.
    Probably helped they had Keating (or what is Charman?) who was a brute ruckman that was only really ever unwrapped for finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The Lions never finished first in any of their premiership years, they just knew how to prepare for the pointy end of the season.
    Probably helped they had Keating (or what is Charman?) who was a brute ruckman that was only really ever unwrapped for finals.
    They're probably the most talent rich side ever. They had elite midfielders (Voss/Black/Aker/Lappin), elite key forwards (Brown/Lynch), elite key backs (Leppitsch/Michael), as well as several other awesome outside/running players (Power/Johnson/Headland).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They're probably the most talent rich side ever. They had elite midfielders (Voss/Black/Aker/Lappin), elite key forwards (Brown/Lynch), elite key backs (Leppitsch/Michael), as well as several other awesome outside/running players (Power/Johnson/Headland).
    Some of their second tier types would easily be first tier players at other clubs. Craig McRae comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Upsets may not fit the thread criteria, but I'm still surprised Hawthorn won in 08. Was looking forward to the game, but never seriously thought Hawthorn would win. Remember Dew kicking a nice goal in the 3rd quarter and thinking it could be on, but still thought Geelong would get up.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs