Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was.....Leon Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Seems to share a lot of similiarities with Ryan Griffen, especially pre McCartney. Is that at all a reasonable comaparism?
    Griff was a lot more of a burst player who was a little bit more one-sided. Cameron was more of a cruiser who still could turn on the jets if needed, but was fluent on both sides of the body to the point of almost seamlessness.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic old style wingman/half back. Beautiful kick on both sides, due to IIRC to a broken leg as a junior and learning to kick with his non favoured side. So much so that I could never work out whether he was a natural left or right footer.

Scratching my head over he was like and I came up with Keith Greig, Robbie Flower and strangely enough the often underrated Ryan Hargrave - all of whom were able to mark, had lovely long kicks and liked a gallop when possible.

When he was in his prime he was as good a player as I've seen in that position. Had a bad injury in 92 but came back to win the Charlie Sutton Medal in 93 and I reckon his best years were 93-95, in 1995 he was THE AGE Player of the Year.
    If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

3. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was watching the Libba/Knights incident yesterday. I'd forgotten that Leon Cameron was the Ricmond player who kicked it to the Libba/Knights contest.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Griff was a lot more of a burst player who was a little bit more one-sided. Cameron was more of a cruiser who still could turn on the jets if needed, but was fluent on both sides of the body to the point of almost seamlessness.
    A bit more one sided?

I heard Griff was always running late whenever he had to drive anywhere because he had to make three right turns to go left.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes craigsahibee, Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good question Remi, I doubt the Griffen trade reflects on Cameron in anyway.
    If our coaching position became available he would be judged on his ability to make the team better
    I tend to agree G . Their side last year was inferior to their 2016 team yet they made a granny
    He’s been stiff with injuries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    A bit more one sided?

I heard Griff was always running late whenever he had to drive anywhere because he had to make three right turns to go left.
    I'm reading a book about the death of Fitzroy at the moment. There's a funny story in there about the club being so broke in the early 90's that they couldn't afford to have the right indicator on a team supplies van fixed. So to compensate, the training staff who would drive the van used to come up with routes to and from the grounds that only used left handed turns.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm reading a book about the death of Fitzroy at the moment. There's a funny story in there about the club being so broke in the early 90's that they couldn't afford to have the right indicator on a team supplies van fixed. So to compensate, the training staff who would drive the van used to come up with routes to and from the grounds that only used left handed turns.
    Very funny.

These days it seems no one uses blinkers so would have been normal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I used to have a girlfriend who point blank refused to make a right hand turn. Before we went anywhere (I couldn't drive back then) we would have to get the Melways out and work out a route with no right turns.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Don't thank me, thank the Youtube algorithm that served this up.

How's the Bontempellian pickup from Leon?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Thanks Mofra, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    How's the Bontempellian pickup from Leon?
    Sublime... I still think Hawkins is the best "one handed pick-up on the run" I've seen in Bulldog colours though.

The adage of "two hands if it's wet, one hand if it's dry" didn't apply to Hawk.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

For mine, Murph is the player he most resembles. Something elegant in his movement, and that wiry frame.

As to him coming back to the club, there's certainly been a lot of water under the bridge. I did read that he barracked for us on GF Day 2016. I might have one day forgiven the unfunny 'Lost Dogs' post but to my mind he went above and beyond in his defence of Toby Greene, his attack on Bont and his thuggishness throughout that finals series. Naturally coaches defend their players but you can still acknowledge that there's been wrongdoing and his inability or unwillingness to do that has left a very sour impression about a guy that had always been one of my favourites.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post