Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  60
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Predicted Teams Round 2 - 2020

I don’t mind the Gowers selection tbh. He can be a liability but he also has the X-factor. It will be interesting to see how he performs when he is not one of the main targets.

What has happened to Schache? Wonder if he was in the mix.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bad feeling about this game and some of those selections that have been mentioned aren't helping
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Gardner is the worst player in the AFL. Sure giving the Aints a good chance of a win.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've encouraged my friends to gamble irresponsibly on the Saints after those teams have been named. Some shockers.

Side note, how nice is it to have someone meaningless to be outraged about?? I was sick of only having major world events and politics to discuss.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not my team either but history says we have all been wrong before on our team selections. Go Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Team selection has always been baffling.

It seems that Bevo has a theory each season and is determined to stick with it until repeatedly proven wrong.

Unfortunately, there is no time to recover if it goes horribly wrong.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Team selection has always been baffling.

It seems that Bevo has a theory each season and is determined to stick with it until repeatedly proven wrong.

Unfortunately, there is no time to recover if it goes horribly wrong.
    It's not a lot different to the team selected for round one. Round one team was 22 players and reserves because it was a Friday night game
    Round 2 is a Sunday night game and contains 8 on the bench

What we do know is Gowers, Lipinski and Vandermeer are in and Hunter, Wood and Young are out.
    I suspect Hayes and Jong will fight it out from one more spot on the ins for Sunday
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's not a lot different to the team selected for round one. Round one team was 22 players and reserves because it was a Friday night game
    Round 2 is a Sunday night game and contains 8 on the bench

What we do know is Gowers, Lipinski and Vandermeer are in and Hunter, Wood and Young are out.
    I suspect Hayes and Jong will fight it out from one more spot on the ins for Sunday
    Bevo hinted at multiple changes, almost as if we were making a bit of a statement.

Scapegoating Young is hardly a statement.

BJ's summation of Bevo/MC is deadly accurate - they enter each season with a theory and don't waiver until it's proven wrong again and again and again. Given the year, I won't be as critical but it always feels like we're competing against the opposition and ourselves.

12. Likes Sedat, Bulldog Joe, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of Gardner, but you know what, he has only played three senior games. He played two very ordinary games in 2019 and played round one. He wasn't the worst, he took 5 marks, but did make two horrendous mistakes with his kicking and gifted Collingwood two easy goals.

I would prefer Trengove or Young in his spot, but I think Ryan has worked very hard, trained hard and he really is passionate and wants to play senior football. No doubt Bevo is rewarding him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I would prefer Trengove or Young in his spot, but I think Ryan has worked very hard, trained hard and he really is passionate and wants to play senior football. No doubt Bevo is rewarding him.
    That's all well and good, but actually having the talent to play at the highest level is kind of important. Nothing Gardner has shown either at VFL or AFL level suggests he has any kind of toolset that will allow him to add value.

There are plenty of passionate, hard trainers playing local footy where their talent belongs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's all well and good, but actually having the talent to play at the highest level is kind of important. Nothing Gardner has shown either at VFL or AFL level suggests he has any kind of toolset that will allow him to add value.

There are plenty of passionate, hard trainers playing local footy where their talent belongs.
    I think he has shown something at VFL level. As I said I am not a fan, just trying to work out why he is in the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am not a fan of Gardner, but you know what, he has only played three senior games. He played two very ordinary games in 2019 and played round one. He wasn't the worst, he took 5 marks, but did make two horrendous mistakes with his kicking and gifted Collingwood two easy goals.

How many of those marks were from when we kicked it across ground to him standing by himself behind the play?

If I was Collingwood I wouldn't have manned him up either given he also misses his foot when he kicks the ball.

18. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How Gardner gets a game before Lewis Young and Trengove is bewildering. Dale, Gowers, Wallis and Lloyd are under the microscope imo and really have to show something in Rd 2. JJ is only giving away 22cm to King, goodluck with that. Our history suggests Daniel will play on King at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get the Gardiner selection dislike but really he was the least of our problems from R1. It's not his fault he gets selected.

I'm far more concerned about having an absolutely uncompetitive ruck division get completely and utterly decimated, placing enormous pressure on our midfield and defensive unit and completely starving our forward line. I'm also concerned that our lauded midfield group can, too often enough for my liking, consistently get monstered by opposition mids that bring the heat. Apart from selecting Sweet as a likely emergency, we have done nothing at selection to address these critical issues. Libba in is a no-brainer, as is Trengove to make us more competitive in the ruck and also provide cover in defence.

I'm completely puzzled by the team selection this week. I'll probably be 100% wrong and we smash the Saints.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing this team, at least I won't have the pain of false hope. I can settle back in the certain knowledge we will lose this one too.