Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  60
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Predicted Teams Round 2 - 2020

I think with Gardiner and previously Young, the MC is just working out whether they can play and are worth persisting with at the expense of the known quantity in Trengove. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand why it's being done if that is in fact what's happening.

This could possibly be an admission we don't internally feel we're genuine contenders this year, given what we have seen with our midfield these past couple of games perhaps the MC is being pragmatic about the season.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Given in the last page we have people saying that friends should bet on the Saints or a t least we won't have false hope, I certainly believe far too much responsibility for our anticipated performance seems to rest on the selection of one junior player.
    On performance and effort, Gardner isn't the first person I'd drop (Bailey Dale, I'm nodding at you).

Nobody know who is training the strongest, who is moving the best, etc.

The biggest issue with our performances right now isn't a developing tall defender potentially losing a one on one. It's how the hell we control the ball in the middle or at least apply enough pressure to stop the ball getting into our defence, cleanly, 70+ times per game.

Second issue is how we get it out of our defence because that was woefully inadequate against Collingwood. We were too tall in round 1 and I think the MC at least recognise this, although I have a sneaking suspicion we may find English forward and sharing ruck duties with Sweet at least once this season. Where that leaves Schache I don't know. I'm not sure Schache is in our long term planning anymore.
    I think Schache isn’t in our future plans. The recruitment of JUH sort of makes him redundant if Naughts is indeed staying forward
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 13-06-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree with some of the personnel but the balance of the side is far better. More run and more mobility is the right call. We were far too tall in round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Cavarra dropped and Gower who is an atrocious kick for goal gets another game. I know Gowers is tough but really? Happy Jongy plays-hope he does not suffer (another) injury. In Bevo we trust. Or is it in Bevo we are bemused?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Disagree with some of the personnel but the balance of the side is far better. More run and more mobility is the right call. We were far too tall in round 1.
    Agree, the team was way too tall in the first game. Other than Gardner, not sure why people are complaining.

We are missing Hunter, Wood and Libba, so plenty to look forward to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think Brett Ratten used to be a chucker as well.
    Archer as well believe it or not.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And we don't have Wood who is often asked to play tall

I guess that most people would be starting to get sick of the ongoing Trengove speculation here on WOOF but his non selection I think can only be regarded as confirmation that he is out of the selection mix.
    Yes appears he’s a last resort now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I reckon they’re saving Libba for GWS on a 5 day break.
    Gardner I can’t help you with....
    Probably right there
    Pretty crabby hearing a few players haven’t come back in the best shape
    That’s not good enough , and there’s no excuses . We put our hard earned in and many haven’t asked for any refund of not watching the game !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    So if we think they got the balance right this time why did we get it so wrong last time?
    We went into the game against the Pies with and extra tall and I think we are going into this game against the Saints with one tall less than we really need.

We were also promised 3 talls in the forward line to justify why we recruited Bruce but now Schache and Young aren't in the mix for senior selection. Is it a horses for courses approach for our game against the Saints or have we given up on that idea?

If the balance of this team we selected is right I think it's raises a question if the balance of the list we have assembled matches our selection ideas.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think Schache isn’t in our future plans. The recruitment of JUM sort of makes him redundant if Naughts is indeed staying forward
    Ugle-Hagan won't be coming to our side with a solid season of TAC footy behind him like our draftees would normally have, he's going to need at least one or two full seasons to settle into the demands of senior football
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If its any consolation (it's not really) the Saints fans are also baffled by their 22. Dunstan and Battle out has them shocked.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    If its any consolation (it's not really) the Saints fans are also baffled by their 22. Dunstan and Battle out has them shocked.
    It's because us supporters know better than a full coaching team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Bulldog Revolution, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I've been pretty baffled by most of what they did last off-season. Hill is a great pick up and looked but they paid through the nose for him.

Why did they get Howard if they now can't fit Good Player Josh Battle into their 22? Why did they take their best player from last year (Marshall) and halve his time at his most effective position (if round one is any indication anyway)?

I feel like they've placed more importance on seeming like a destination club rather than building a cogent team. But at the same time I'm kinda sick of sports being all about potentially being good at some arbitrary point in the future rather than being actually good right now so part of me hopes it works.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He wouldn't be the first in that regard - Brodie Moles instantly comes to mind. Was vomiting before every game due to nerves.
    Cheers for the info.
    Quote a few musos I know are chuckers. It's not just the persians either.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

On the surface, some of the selections do seem a bit batshit crazy. But maybe some players have come back lacking a bit of fitness and/or are rustier on the track than others?

Against Collingwood we looked the best on the few occasions that we were able to move the ball quickly, break the lines and run. We just didn't have enough cattle that were able to pull this off often enough given their excellent full team defence on the night. It's clear we've decided to go "all in" on this and have chopped out a few talls for more HB's with wheels.

If we can win the midfield battle and if the pressure on the Saints is manic enough that their entries are messy and easily mopped up, it will end up being a stroke of genius. They are going to look waaaaay too top-heavy.

If they are able to generate enough clean inside 50 entries we could be in some serious trouble. I wonder if the contingency is to swing Naughton back if they are getting on top in some periods?

I shouldn't be positive A) After Collingwood B) After the last Saints game, but I think this could all be crazy enough to work. I'd like Young for Gardiner, but I am going to assume Gardiner came back in better nick.

Fingers crossed.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post