Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  60
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Predicted Teams Round 2 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Marshall and Ryder are a formidable ruck division with quite diverse skill sets. English has, thus far, proven on numerous occasions that he simply cannot handle quality ruckmen. Unless English can improve remarkably from his previous 2 sub-par and frankly unacceptable performances in the seniors, we will be under significant pressure in both D50 and in the midfield battle.

This is a massive game for Tim English and his career as an AFL quality ruckman. I hope he reverses history and passes the test.
    Ever the (occasional?) optimist, I will point you in the direction of Adelaide's Reilly O'Brien.

Adelaide have been particularly terrible at getting games into youngsters in the last forever, then inexplicably they start playing this guy ahead of Jacobs last year. He was awful. Then he wasn't. Now he is mostly quite good, certainly beyond the capabilities one would think he would perform at. In fact, I think he was about their only positive last night.

English has 100 times the natural ability of O'Brien. I think we all think English will be very good eventually, but if we can persist in getting games into him hopefully it will happen in the shorter term.

A dominant ruckman? Imagine that.

Post Thanks / Like

Suddenly more than a little anxious about the Saints' capacity to exploit the Keath-Gardner combo aerially.

If either has to lock down on an opposition tall who happens to be in the mood we're in some strife.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    English has 100 times the natural ability of O'Brien. I think we all think English will be very good eventually, but if we can persist in getting games into him hopefully it will happen in the shorter term.

A dominant ruckman? Imagine that.
    I think English is clearly an AFL standard player. I question whether he has the necessary ruck craft or nous to play as our key no 1 ruckman. He hasn't shown this ever in his career to date nor did he ever show this as a junior.

O'Brien is clearly a ruckman who was stuck behind a better one (Jacobs) until he forced his way into the team through great 2nds form in his key role. He was awful for about 2 games max, then he became a very good ruckman as he adjusted to the speed of the senior level. English is a different proposition. He is a 205cm giant who regularly concedes ruck hitouts in absurdedly lopsided numbers to better quality ruckman. I've never seen a player his height, who is selected as a no 1 ruckman, be so thoroughly and consistently uncompetitive in ruck hitouts and at stoppages. I really want to be wrong, but I cannot ever see him becoming a dominant no 1 ruckman who rucks 80% of game time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed think he would be an excellent CHF his marking is his biggest asset. Something like Naughton at FB, Keath at CHB, English at CHF, Bruce at FF and Tom Campbell rucking 80% of game time would be nice.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think English is clearly an AFL standard player. I question whether he has the necessary ruck craft or nous to play as our key no 1 ruckman. He hasn't shown this ever in his career to date nor did he ever show this as a junior.

O'Brien is clearly a ruckman who was stuck behind a better one (Jacobs) until he forced his way into the team through great 2nds form in his key role. He was awful for about 2 games max, then he became a very good ruckman as he adjusted to the speed of the senior level. English is a different proposition. He is a 205cm giant who regularly concedes ruck hitouts in absurdedly lopsided numbers to better quality ruckman. I've never seen a player his height, who is selected as a no 1 ruckman, be so thoroughly and consistently uncompetitive in ruck hitouts and at stoppages. I really want to be wrong, but I cannot ever see him becoming a dominant no 1 ruckman who rucks 80% of game time.
    I can't really disagree with you on most points (aside O'Brien only taking two games to come good). There was something unsavoury about the move to oust Jacobs from the team and they persisted with O'Brien longer than they probably should have initially.

The fact that English was a midfielder until he grew crazy amounts overnight certainly raises some questions about whether he will ever be up to it as a first ruck. It also fits Bevo's strange mantra of not wanting to play actual ruckmen in the ruck.

I would vote we persist, but I want Trengove in the team as backup for the nights when it goes really pear-shaped (which it has in the past). Insurance of being able to move English to the forward line, Trengove to the ruck, and Naughton down back would make me feel much better.

I hope English can prove us wrong.

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed think he would be an excellent CHF his marking is his biggest asset. Something like Naughton at FB, Keath at CHB, English at CHF, Bruce at FF and Tom Campbell rucking 80% of game time would be nice.
    You'd love to see it.

Doesn't naming Naughton at FB just feel right?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Hear hear Adelaide connection and sedat. I am also not confident English will ever be a good number 1 ruck and wonder if he could be good as a back man and already has shown promising signs as a forward.

What about a wing? He is good below knees, reasonably quick simply due to his giraffe size legs and has decent disposal and will outmark smaller wings. I can see our speedy skilful back men looking up to kick to him. Is he mobile and agile enough to stop oppo wings when they have the ball-perhaps not?

Also I would like a bit more aggression in his game. Use his size to throw around a bit without being a thug. And for goodness sake stop looking at oppo ruckman when in middle bounce- look at the ball. It was downright embarrassing to see him against Grundy worrying about where Grundy was to detriment of competing for the ball, so much so I thought he might be scarred forever from it. Seems like an intelligent fellow so hope that’s not the case but talk about being pantsed.

Bevo seemingly belligerent with not giving Trenners a go - at least since our one final game last year, possibly longer. Must surely be more to it than we know.
    Last edited by josie; 14-06-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

At the same age, not much difference

Player Statistics Comparison
    Sam Jacobs Name Timothy English
    GWS Giants Team Western Bulldogs
    Ruck Position Ruck
    203 Career Games 30
    Woodville West Torrens Origin South Fremantle
    April 10, 1988 Date of Birth August 10, 1997
    Turned 22 in 2010 Age Turned 22 in 2019
    200cm Height 205cm
    102kg Weight 93kg
    2009 National Draft Last Drafted In 2016 National Draft
    Round 5, Pick #72 Last Draft Position Round 1, Pick #19
    Carlton Blues Last Drafted By Western Bulldogs
    2010 Stats for Season 2019
    13 Games 20
    4.1 Kicks 6.8
    7.3 Handballs 6.5
    11.4 Disposals 13.2
    2.9 Marks 4.0
    0.1 Goals 0.4
    0.1 Behinds 0.5
    4.1 Tackles 3.4
    22.0 Hitouts 19.1
    1.8 Inside 50s 2.2
    0 Goal Assists 0.1
    1.2 Frees For 1.1
    1.5 Frees Against 1.2
    5.4 Contested Possessions 5.9
    5.9 Uncontested Possessions 7.7
    9.4 Effective Disposals 10.1
    82.5% Disposal Efficiency % 76.5%
    1.9 Clangers 2.3
    1.1 Contested Marks 1.1
    0.1 Marks Inside 50 0.7
    2.1 Clearances 2.1
    0.7 Rebound 50s 0.6
    3.2 One Percenters 5.0
    0 Bounces 0.1
    65.4 Time On Ground % 83.8
    Centre Clearances 1.1
    Stoppage Clearances 1.1
    Score Involvements 5.2
    Metres Gained 161.6
    Turnovers 2.0
    Intercepts 2.5
    Tackles Inside 50 0.3
    71.8 AFL Fantasy Score 78.5
    75.8 Supercoach Score 82.7
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post