Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  60
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Predicted Teams Round 2 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He did such a good job on Richmonds Lynch last year and I think he could curtail other KPF as well
    I suspect King might have Lewis Young as his opponent. Young is almost as tall and very quick. It will be a good test for his defensive attributes if he lines up on King
    Lewis Young will likely get a crack, but I would prefer to see Trengove get the gig. Max's speed could be an issue, but I think most of the ball coming into him will be dumped on his head (and Trengove's bodywork is much better than Young).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Lewis Young will likely get a crack, but I would prefer to see Trengove get the gig. Max's speed could be an issue, but I think most of the ball coming into him will be dumped on his head (and Trengove's bodywork is much better than Young).
    I'm with you TAC, I'd love to know why Trengove doesn't appear to quite fit into the MC considerations. I understand some of his deficiencies but he's a solid 1 v 1 defender and a more than handy ruck man as needed. I also rate his leadership attributes

In this instance though perhaps Young is quite a decent match-up
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you TAC, I'd love to know why Trengove doesn't appear to quite fit into the MC considerations. I understand some of his deficiencies but he's a solid 1 v 1 defender and a more than handy ruck man as needed. I also rate his leadership attributes

In this instance though perhaps Young is quite a decent match-up
    And for a team that has rolled out some pretty meek performances in our last two outings, his habit of not taking a backwards step would be fairly welcome.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And for a team that has rolled out some pretty meek performances in our last two outings, his habit of not taking a backwards step would be fairly welcome.
    Another tick in the plus column but it may not be even be one of the considerations for the MC

Post Thanks / Like

Another tick in the plus column but it may not be even be one of the considerations for the MC
    Trengove's last game was against GWS in round 22 after English was out and he played in the ruck, with Lewis Young at FB. Simpson won the hitouts 56 to 24. Tim came in the following week against the Crows and Trengove was dropped. Walker kicked 5 goals that day.

In the final, we really needed Trengove to take on Mumford's bullying tactics. I don't understand why he isn't in the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may not be one of their considerations, but it bloody well should be, inject some aggression and a pinch of mongrel, otherwise we will get rolled like the last 2 matches, any team with aspirations of being a top team has to be aggressive and tough, we are neither at the moment and I do not mean thuggery, just plain hard at it at all times, we were back in 2015 and 2016 but it has disappeared. Bring it back please.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all of the above - one thing I would say is that we do need to keep pumping games into Young, so I hope we can manage this. Feel like Young's future is so important for two reaosns;

1 - If he's good enough, and I think he is, he needs games now. We should be contending from 2020-2022 at the least, so he needs to be near his best. He can't be near his best if he's still only got a handful of games to his name.

2 - If he's not good enough, then we quickly figure out that he either needs greater help or he's not worth keeping.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would definitely play McLean ahead of Bailey Dale. Just competes better.
    Maybe, although he didn't have his best year last season. McLean and Dale are different players as you know.

If you want a pressure forward / midfield relief (esp. now that Hunter is out), play McLean, if you want the best chance to score, play Dale.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com predicted team (I think they may have Schache and Young around the wrong way!):

In: Patrick Lipinski, Tom Liberatore, Toby McLean, Josh Schache
    Out: Lachie Hunter (suspended), Ryan Gardner (omitted), Lewis Young (omitted), Ben Cavarra (omitted)

B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
    C: Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Suckling
    HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Patrick Lipinski
    F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
    Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jackson Macrae
    I/C: Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean, Tom Liberatore, Lewis Young

Emerg: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tory Dickson, Josh Schache
    Unavailable: Lachie Hunter (suspended), Taylor Duryea (quad)

The Bulldogs got smashed in just about every area in round one, so there's no band-aid fix. Lipinski is a no-brainer inclusion and Liberatore looks right to go. McLean might provide more than Cavarra as a pressure forward. - Jourdan Canil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    AFL.com predicted team (I think they may have Schache and Young around the wrong way!):

In: Patrick Lipinski, Tom Liberatore, Toby McLean, Josh Schache
    Out: Lachie Hunter (suspended), Ryan Gardner (omitted), Lewis Young (omitted), Ben Cavarra (omitted)

B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Jason Johannisen
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
    C: Bailey Smith, Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Suckling
    HF: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Patrick Lipinski
    F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
    Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jackson Macrae
    I/C: Caleb Daniel, Toby McLean, Tom Liberatore, Lewis Young

Emerg: Ed Richards, Ryan Gardner, Tory Dickson, Josh Schache
    Unavailable: Lachie Hunter (suspended), Taylor Duryea (quad)

The Bulldogs got smashed in just about every area in round one, so there's no band-aid fix. Lipinski is a no-brainer inclusion and Liberatore looks right to go. McLean might provide more than Cavarra as a pressure forward. - Jourdan Canil
    I actually don't mind that team and think that is the way we will go, even though I would like to see Trengove in

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As Axe Man points out Lewis Young is omitted but on the bench while they list Schache as an in but he's also listed as an emergency

Will be an interesting selection process for us. The only thing is for certain is Hunter is out

Post Thanks / Like

In what universe would McLean provide more than Cavarra as a pressure forward?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

There is only one player on the St Kilda list that worries me - Brad Hill.
    I'm happy to go shorter and bring in an extra runner so Brad Hill is not left alone at any point in time. In transition or when we have the ball I'd still have Hayes stuck to him - he's the only bloke left available not named Wallis that has the tank to go with him, and if Hill and Wallis had a footrace Hill would finish before Wallis had even tied his shoelaces.

I'd roll the dice with Wood on Membrey, Cordy deep, Alex Keath at HB, and have Croz floating in cutting off their entries. If Hill's kicking it unopposed the ball will be to their advantage anyway, if it's anyone else bar Billings the ball will be scrubbed into St Kilda's F50 with all the grace of Nick Bruton in ugg-boots so we should back our defenders in.

If Schache comes in, Dale has to go out even if Naughts is out with his knee.
    Cav stays in for mine, ditto Williams - screw reputation, we simply have to reward effort after two pitiful games in our last two showings.

At this stage I have Hunter, Gardner, Dale and Young out with Hayes, Schache, Libba in with the last spot going to either Ed Richards or Toby McLean. Either of them will need to chop out on the wing and add outside run.

I suspect the MC will keep Dale in and fear Naughton will miss.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to 6 changes coming

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Libba, Lippa and Lin among the ins...

Six could come in: Bevo prepares to swing the axe

THE Western Bulldogs could make up to six changes ahead of Sunday's round two clash against St Kilda.

After getting smashed by the Magpies around the midfield, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has a few choices to make at the selection table.

"We'll have an influx of maybe 4-6 players into the team and some will go out, but not through injury," Beveridge said on Thursday.

"We had a couple of players who weren't available [in round one] in Paddy Lipinski, Lin Jong and Tommy Liberatore ...

"They've trained well and probably pick themselves."

Liberatore's grunt was conspicuously absent in round one in particular, but he's ticked the boxes since returning.

"He (Liberatore) was pretty good last Friday in our match practice, but he's been a little bit behind with his preparation but he's definitely being considered."

Before training started, the team walked out wearing a few of the club's Sir Doug Nicholls round guernseys and knelt together in a sign of solidarity against racism.

All 45 Bulldogs were on the park for Thursday's main training session but Roarke Smith (quad), Taylor Duryea (quad) and Riley Garcia (knee) are unavailable for Sunday's game.

Those not in the senior team this week will not have an opportunity to play a scratch match over the weekend with both the Dogs and Saints agreeing to scrap the idea due to a short time between each club's next game.

"We've got a five-day turnaround into our round three game and the Saints have got six," Beveridge said.

The Dogs will get a chance the following Friday however, with Beveridge confirming a match against the Kangaroos.

20. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post