Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  60
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Predicted Teams Round 2 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am not a fan of Gardner, but you know what, he has only played three senior games. He played two very ordinary games in 2019 and played round one. He wasn't the worst, he took 5 marks, but did make two horrendous mistakes with his kicking and gifted Collingwood two easy goals.

I would prefer Trengove or Young in his spot, but I think Ryan has worked very hard, trained hard and he really is passionate and wants to play senior football. No doubt Bevo is rewarding him.
    As I see it Bevo has identified that Gardner is some sort of late bloomer who will make us infinitely better and he is going to give him every opportunity to prove it right up until Gardner absolutely proves it is not the case.

If only he would afford as much opportunity to Trengove.

Should Gardner get anywhere near what Bevo apparently sees, I think he could become almost (but not quite) what Trengove already consistently is (when he is played).
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus christ, Gardner isn't the barometer of our team's performances. Cut the kid some slack.

Tim English and our midfield were absolutely murdered in Round 1 and were pretty piss poor against GWS in the final. That's where we win and lose this game, not on the back of a rookie lister just starting his career who is part of a defensive unit that includes two other guys who should be taking tall opponents as well (Cordy and Keath).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Axe Man, Sedat, jeemak, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    As I see it Bevo has identified that Gardner is some sort of late bloomer who will make us infinitely better and he is going to give him every opportunity to prove it right up until Gardner absolutely proves it is not the case.

If only he would afford as much opportunity to Trengove.

Should Gardner get anywhere near what Bevo apparently sees, I think he could become almost (but not quite) what Trengove already consistently is (when he is played).
    It’s hard to work out isn’t it. Trengove played up until the last game in Ballarat v Crows from memory. English was sick the previous week and Jackson went into the ruck v GWS, Young played in his spot and the rest is history. He played in the GWS and Essendon games which were arguably our best. I assume Bevo wants better ball users in the back half but maybe robbing Peter to pay Paul as he brings other skills to the team; leadership for one. Jury’s out on Gardner and agree with the sentiment it’s in no way his responsibility, but it’s certainly worth questioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Jesus christ, Gardner isn't the barometer of our team's performances. Cut the kid some slack.

Tim English and our midfield were absolutely murdered in Round 1 and were pretty piss poor against GWS in the final. That's where we win and lose this game, not on the back of a rookie lister just starting his career who is part of a defensive unit that includes two other guys who should be taking tall opponents as well (Cordy and Keath).
    Do you really think anyone here believes Gardner is the barometer of our team's performance?

Of course he isn't, but he may be a barometer for our selection committee.

The fact we're picking him despite his complete lack of proven ability ahead of someone like Trengove, who HAS performed at the highest level, who gives us leadership onfield and who actually provides coverage in areas we desperately need (key defence and ruck) just shows our selection philosophy appears completely muddled.

Then again, I'm a Naughton-as-defender bull, so the more poor performances as our defence puts up, the more chance we might see him play in the spot the team needs him the most. So on second thoughts...yay Gardner.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m confused but perhaps it’s just the MC picking squads with an eye to this game and the GWS one given the latter is only 5 days rest. It at least explains the Libba omission IMO. He’s probably being saved for the ‘grudge‘ match as there’s no way he’d pull up well enough to play both games. Might be the same with Jackson? That’s what I’m telling myself

8. Likes Grantysghost, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Do you really think anyone here believes Gardner is the barometer of our team's performance?

Of course he isn't, but he may be a barometer for our selection committee.

The fact we're picking him despite his complete lack of proven ability ahead of someone like Trengove, who HAS performed at the highest level, who gives us leadership onfield and who actually provides coverage in areas we desperately need (key defence and ruck) just shows our selection philosophy appears completely muddled.

Then again, I'm a Naughton-as-defender bull, so the more poor performances as our defence puts up, the more chance we might see him play in the spot the team needs him the most. So on second thoughts...yay Gardner.
    Given in the last page we have people saying that friends should bet on the Saints or a t least we won't have false hope, I certainly believe far too much responsibility for our anticipated performance seems to rest on the selection of one junior player.
    On performance and effort, Gardner isn't the first person I'd drop (Bailey Dale, I'm nodding at you).

Nobody know who is training the strongest, who is moving the best, etc.

The biggest issue with our performances right now isn't a developing tall defender potentially losing a one on one. It's how the hell we control the ball in the middle or at least apply enough pressure to stop the ball getting into our defence, cleanly, 70+ times per game.

Second issue is how we get it out of our defence because that was woefully inadequate against Collingwood. We were too tall in round 1 and I think the MC at least recognise this, although I have a sneaking suspicion we may find English forward and sharing ruck duties with Sweet at least once this season. Where that leaves Schache I don't know. I'm not sure Schache is in our long term planning anymore.

10. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I’m confused but perhaps it’s just the MC picking squads with an eye to this game and the GWS one given the latter is only 5 days rest. It at least explains the Libba omission IMO. He’s probably being saved for the ‘grudge‘ match as there’s no way he’d pull up well enough to play both games. Might be the same with Jackson? That’s what I’m telling myself
    I hope so. Trengove and Libba make us a lot tougher on paper and we desperately need some of that right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Where is the so called swinging of the axe and 4-6 changes?

We’ve only dropped Young. The other two changes thus far are due to suspension and injury.

Of course it’s an extended bench but those ins and moreso the lack of outs are disheartening.

Like others I’m mystified by the refusal from the MC to name Trengove. Gardner was plain awful last game. Granted, the whole team was, but I’d like to have seen more changes. I guess it’s in unique circumstances so we’ll have to give the MC the benefit of the doubt, but if we dish up a similar performance how can we ever have faith?
    We will know soon enough how many changes we will really make.
    It's the guys that didn't make the extended squad that really interest me
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

What's up with Toby McLean? Hasn't even been given a second thought through the first couple of weeks. Trengove not being considered is equally irksome, especially considering there's a clear matchup for him in whichever of Marshall/Ryder is forward.

And, as others have flagged where's Libba? He's definitely passing the eye test if nothing else.

I disagree with the assertion that Gardner and Gowers won't cost us the game. They're objectively bad players who we've gone past good players to pick. 1/11th of a side isn't nothing to anyone who saw Bob Quiney play for Australia.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What's up with Toby McLean? Hasn't even been given a second thought through the first couple of weeks. Trengove not being considered is equally irksome, especially considering there's a clear matchup for him in whichever of Marshall/Ryder is forward.

And, as others have flagged where's Libba? He's definitely passing the eye test if nothing else.

I disagree with the assertion that Gardner and Gowers won't cost us the game. They're objectively bad players who we've gone past good players to pick. 1/11th of a side isn't nothing to anyone who saw Bob Quiney play for Australia.
    Mclean hasn't played well for over a year, and needs to find form.

I am guessing Libba wasn't quiet right, but I want him back for next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am not a fan of Gardner, but you know what, he has only played three senior games. He played two very ordinary games in 2019 and played round one. He wasn't the worst, he took 5 marks, but did make two horrendous mistakes with his kicking and gifted Collingwood two easy goals.

I would prefer Trengove or Young in his spot, but I think Ryan has worked very hard, trained hard and he really is passionate and wants to play senior football. No doubt Bevo is rewarding him.
    I have just had an interesting conversation (currently stuck in Tasmania), with a person connected to the Burnie Dockers (Gardner and Mihocek's home club).

Apparently Gardner is a brilliant trainer, but lets nerves get the better of him on match day.

He better get over that issue quickly so he can show us why Bevo is determined for him to play.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just had an interesting conversation (currently stuck in Tasmania), with a person connected to the Burnie Dockers (Gardner and Mihocek's home club).

Apparently Gardner is a brilliant trainer, but lets nerves get the better of him on match day.

He better get over that issue quickly so he can show us why Bevo is determined for him to play.
    He wouldn't be the first in that regard - Brodie Moles instantly comes to mind. Was vomiting before every game due to nerves.
    Cheers for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

It's one thing to train well and another to play well on game day. We don't win 4 points for training well. It baffles me, we've got guys like Trengove who will only get a game if everyone else falls down injured and then others who seem to get a lot more rope.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Gowers, Richards, Vandermeer, Jong, Lipinski
    Out: Cavarra, Wood, Hunter, Young, Cordy

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy Gone
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.