Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching the Footy on TV

Round one was weird watching the game with no crowds and no noise other than the players yelling out. On the other hand it can be annoying listening to some of the commentators. +

I remember the old Foxfooty channel where they had a feature where you can watch games with different camera angles and you can choose to turn off the commentary and just listen to the crowd.

What do you think about Seven's idea of some fake crowd noise in the background?

How do you enjoy watching games and will you be able to watch the remainder of the season with no crowds at all?

Personally it doesn't worry me that much, although I do prefer crowds.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watching the Footy on TV

I'd love to have an option of no commentary, just crowd noise.

As an aside I have never been able to figure out why the networks go to all the trouble and expense of sending commentary teams all over Australia to commentate the games. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have either a dedicated team or teams in each state, ie one in Sydney, one in Brisbane, one in Perth and one in Adelaide (which I think is how ABC radio mostly do it) or have them in a studio calling the games off screens?

Is there a perception of bias? I know that Basil Zemplas's (now theres a commentator I'd like to able to switch off) typically one eyed commentary drives me to distraction-he does everything but yell ballllll!

Does anyone know how the technical crews that do the vision and sound work? Is there one in each state or do they have a couple of dedicated crews that fly all over the country? I suppose the Tasmanian and the NT (and the China and Ballarat games have to be covered.) They must send a pretty big crew to China. Filming AFL would be a pretty specialized job, you couldn't just leave it to the locals.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think they’re left with no choice but fake crowd noise
    The after goal lack of noise resonated most with me from R1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    At least it would be something to hear other than Bruce's voice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'd love to have an option of no commentary, just crowd noise.

As an aside I have never been able to figure out why the networks go to all the trouble and expense of sending commentary teams all over Australia to commentate the games. Wouldn't it be cheaper to have either a dedicated team or teams in each state, ie one in Sydney, one in Brisbane, one in Perth and one in Adelaide (which I think is how ABC radio mostly do it) or have them in a studio calling the games off screens?

Is there a perception of bias? I know that Basil Zemplas's (now theres a commentator I'd like to able to switch off) typically one eyed commentary drives me to distraction-he does everything but yell ballllll!

Does anyone know how the technical crews that do the vision and sound work? Is there one in each state or do they have a couple of dedicated crews that fly all over the country? I suppose the Tasmanian and the NT (and the China and Ballarat games have to be covered.) They must send a pretty big crew to China. Filming AFL would be a pretty specialized job, you couldn't just leave it to the locals.
    Both Seven and Foxtel will be calling the games from the studio and not attend games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Did we kick a goal?

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Won't be the same but will be interesting watching.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope we don't have fake crowd noise. To me that is a real insult, that they think the product can be improved with our voices, without us actually there. There will be an unexpected element of the lack of noise that we will enjoy. Just let it play out.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least it would be something to hear other than Bruce's voice.
    Don't forget Dwayne...
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

12. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And Ling.....I miss Cometti

Post Thanks / Like

What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say. If they had that we wouldn't be distracted by the lack of crowd noise.

There's a number of assistant coaches out of work and unlikely to be back in work once play resumes. They should be used to provide insights we never receive on radio and TV broadcasts, and in my view this would be a better option than providing patronising canned atmosphere in a stadium that's clearly empty.

If the product can't be replicated or recreated to what it was, find something else to make it interesting.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say. If they had that we wouldn't be distracted by the lack of crowd noise.

There's a number of assistant coaches out of work and unlikely to be back in work once play resumes. They should be used to provide insights we never receive on radio and TV broadcasts, and in my view this would be a better option than providing patronising canned atmosphere in a stadium that's clearly empty.

If the product can't be replicated or recreated to what it was, find something else to make it interesting.
    Absolutely I would watch that. I would even resubscribe to Fox Footy if they had that. They wouldn't even have to talk all the way through the game just when something significant happens that merits mentioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What they really should have is an insightful commentary team that has interesting and well informed things to say.
    You're request has been heard and actioned. James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor are now calling all games. Guaranteed to be a slimy wink wink nudge nudge comment with every play.

I hope you're happy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely I would watch that. I would even resubscribe to Fox Footy if they had that. They wouldn't even have to talk all the way through the game just when something significant happens that merits mentioning.
    Imagine what they could do if only they tried. The coaches would pretty much work for expenses only at this point, as it would be great for their profiles (kind of like the opposite going on TV was for Cameron Ling's profile).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You're request has been heard and actioned. James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor are now calling all games. Guaranteed to be a slimy wink wink nudge nudge comment with every play.

I hope you're happy.
    My heart's desire is to one day be a part of their in jokes. I know that on the surface they appear shallow, but I really think that once you're actually in with the in joke makers a whole new world would open up to you.