Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R2 2020

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The AFL product is pretty boring these days. Never thought I'd say it, but I actually prefer NBA for the most part. Better action, better commentary, the list goes on.

The Dogs obviously keep me glued but gee, the game today vs the game in the 90s is poles apart. It's a byproduct of the game becoming so professional but I feel it's over coached and over officiated as a starting point. Problem is, it's not an easy fix - particularly in terms of coaching.

That aside, last night's game needs to be cut some slack. No footy for 3 months, heavily limited training sessions, slippery conditions, shortened quarters.

Shortened quarters makes it worse TBH. Add 15-20 minutes to last night and guaranteed the game opens up/we get a lot more goals. Enjoy many more games like last night if we stick to this method.
    I mostly agree with you, except I would add, the changing of the rules and the umpiring has completely changed the game, with coaches trying to come up with ways to beat the changed rules. I know I bang on a lot about rules, but we are seeing the results of those changes really effecting the game.

The worst thing is no new rule changes will make the game look like what some people think the game should look like. The only way I can see a positive effect is to reverse some of these rules.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Most games are boring, the players are robots, the commentary is horrible, the media is laughable.

Footy sucks now, only my love for the Dogs keeps me coming back.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the short quarters is nonsense. gone are the days of endurance players having an edge at some point.

I thinking of Daniel cross as an example, he would have no hope in this shorter game, as his 100% consistent speed and output is no match for impact players who now have the opportunity to do it more often and not worry about blowing up.

At the end of the game last night not a single player was fatigued, not even close. even as quarters ended they had plenty more to give.

Whoever has the list with the most impact burst players will win this year, even tall forwards don't have much hope given that players can "get back" so easily.

footy used to be a game where different types of players all had a place, thats as dead as the 15m penalty now.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallace predicted a defensive approach which went against the theory many had that this round would have an attacking component to it. Plough got it right based on last nights performance

It was a good contest last night but the skill level was very poor and the low scoring game also did nothing for the people watching

Lets hope it all improves quickly
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that maybe there is cause to cut some slack for last night’s game.

The skills were largely brutal but getting to see Pendlebury side step and strut around was well worth the time. I’m not going to pretend I wasn’t entertained.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Terry Wallace predicted a defensive approach which went against the theory many had that this round would have an attacking component to it. Plough got it right based on last nights performance

It was a good contest last night but the skill level was very poor and the low scoring game also did nothing for the people watching

Lets hope it all improves quickly

I watched the game from start to finish and two things really stood out as problems to me. Collingwood's over emphasis on handball, I know they based it on our 2016 handball club model but they didn't take the same chances we did that made ours so exciting to watch. There were to many floaters and helicopters that just created problems for the receiver waiting for them. Like Drew Morphett used to say "ohhhh, better you than me waiting underneath that son!"

And the constant chipping the ball around. Richmond went long a few times in the second quarter and Lynch got on the end of them every time, but the message at halftime to them seemed to be "chip the ball around until you're sure that you've burned Lynch on the lead and then bomb away"

It was an awful and frustrating game to watch.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I watched the game from start to finish and two things really stood out as problems to me. Collingwood's over emphasis on handball, I know they based it on our 2016 handball club model but they didn't take the same chances we did that made ours so exciting to watch. There were to many floaters and helicopters that just created problems for the receiver waiting for them. Like Drew Morphett used to say "ohhhh, better you than me waiting underneath that son!"

And the constant chipping the ball around. Richmond went long a few times in the second quarter and Lynch got on the end of them every time, but the message at halftime to them seemed to be "chip the ball around until you're sure that you've burned Lynch on the lead and then bomb away"

It was an awful and frustrating game to watch.
    There was one with about a minute to go, Pendles flipped one over his head, not knowing who was there, only to float in the air and to be grabbed by Richmond. At that stage of the game, it was too risky as the ball was hovering around Richmond's Fwd50, and they could have scored.

Collingwood were not very attacking and didn't move the ball well from what I saw from about 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and were more content to just bomb the ball. They also lack a big forward, so bombing it played into the hands of Richmond.

AFLW kick more goals than they did last night.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was one with about a minute to go, Pendles flipped one over his head, not knowing who was there, only to float in the air and to be grabbed by Richmond. At that stage of the game, it was too risky as the ball was hovering around Richmond's Fwd50, and they could have scored.

Collingwood were not very attacking and didn't move the ball well from what I saw from about 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and were more content to just bomb the ball. They also lack a big forward, so bombing it played into the hands of Richmond.

AFLW kick more goals than they did last night.
    I remember that one. I said to my son that then wasn't the time for party tricks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I mostly agree with you, except I would add, the changing of the rules and the umpiring has completely changed the game, with coaches trying to come up with ways to beat the changed rules. I know I bang on a lot about rules, but we are seeing the results of those changes really effecting the game.

The worst thing is no new rule changes will make the game look like what some people think the game should look like. The only way I can see a positive effect is to reverse some of these rules.
    As much as you bang on about the rules I bang on about this, incentivise high scoring for *!*!*!*!s sake. Do it with premiership points, do it with money, do it with whatever but just *!*!*!*!ing incentivise it.

We have been fatiguing players for four years now, we're scoring less. Removing two players a side from the ground will just mean 65 metres from goal will be defended instead of 75-75 metres and the downward trend will continue.

The fact that nobody in the media or at AFL HQ has tabled this as a solution in a material way suggests to me it's a winner. How do you think teams will play when they know they could still get rewarded with points or cash even if they lose? Probably the same way they play when they know they need a boost in percentage to make finals in the final few weeks of the home and away season...……

It's an out and out no brainer, but it will never be done.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Geelong and Hawthorn managed 9 goals in a quarter, so maybe the conditions, defensive play and the shitty skill level were more of a problem last night than the short quarters (I don’t want the short quarters to stay by any means, but some media narratives that the short quarters were responsible for the low scoring was a crock)

Post Thanks / Like

Junior looks like he's been in a good paddock over the break. He's still kicked a couple though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming around to the prospect of the bigger teams playing at Geelong.

They should just cop it like Hawthorn is tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm coming around to the prospect of the bigger teams playing at Geelong.

They should just cop it like Hawthorn is tonight.
    I can see some more cracks opening up in Jeff Kennett's stupid face the longer this game goes on.

Good.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes Twodogs, Rocket Science, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawks about where I thought they are. Will not play finals, they just don't have the cattle on the paddock

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate them, that was a super professional second half by the Cats.