Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R4 2020

Yeah if McLean played for another team it would really bug me, but he doesn't, so it doesn't. Love to see it in fact.

People who try to make football objective are among the most miserable on earth.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Love the passion and logic of WOOF. Good discussion about Toby. Do you agree Selwood used to (possibly still does) something similar yet the umps let it go with him but changed rules largely due to Toby?

I now think Toby misses out sometimes on the occasional free he is due as they see who it is and kind of overcompensate.
    Selwood is/was a bit similar but his action was more about his arm shrug. The fact he accentuates anything that might seem like contact and has this disgusting entitled look on his face every time he gets up and the umpires seem to fall for it really pisses me off, and I have no facts to back this up but he definitely gets away with it still to Geelong's benefit and we now get stitched up!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Selwood is/was a bit similar but his action was more about his arm shrug. The fact he accentuates anything that might seem like contact and has this disgusting entitled look on his face every time he gets up and the umpires seem to fall for it really pisses me off, and I have no facts to back this up but he definitely gets away with it still to Geelong's benefit and we now get stitched up!
    Geelong has the 3 worst players for that in the entire league for this: Selwood, Danger & Ablett will go to their death bed complaining about all the free kicks they missed out on over the years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Geelong has the 3 worst players for that in the entire league for this: Selwood, Danger & Ablett will go to their death bed complaining about all the free kicks they missed out on over the years.
    Add Dawkins to that list.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Selwood's greatest legacy will be single-handedly creating the blight of ducking/shrugging/raising the arm to draw free kicks. He is the godfather to everybody else that has used this cynical and ugly tactic since 2006, because it barely existed before Selwood.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Selwood's greatest legacy will be single-handedly creating the blight of ducking/shrugging/raising the arm to draw free kicks. He is the godfather to everybody else that has used this cynical and ugly tactic since 2006, because it barely existed before Selwood.
    What's wrong with raising an arm and forcing a tackle to go high? If that's wrong then running through a tackle and forcing it below the knees is also wrong?

Is spinning out of a tackle and forcing the arms high or low wrong as well? What about running through the tackle and forcing the tackle high?

I don't see why if you've been tackled around the arms you should just submit. Not being a smartarse, I really don't understand the logic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What's wrong with raising an arm and forcing a tackle to go high? If that's wrong then running through a tackle and forcing it below the knees is also wrong?

Is spinning out of a tackle and forcing the arms high or low wrong as well? What about running through the tackle and forcing the tackle high?

I don't see why if you've been tackled around the arms you should just submit. Not being a smartarse, I really don't understand the logic.
    I'm really not a fan of the tactic, Jeemak. It's not illegal but it is cowardly and cynical. And it has created a monster when the AFL didn't stamp down on it when Swlwood started his career.

My Pies mates were all over this in 2007 when Selwood started hia career. I used to bag them for overreacting but they were spot on. It's scourge and a blight on the game IMO and now half the competition does it.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm really not a fan of the tactic, Jeemak. It's not illegal but it is cowardly and cynical. And it has created a monster when the AFL didn't stamp down on it when Swlwood started his career.

My Pies mates were all over this in 2007 when Selwood started hia career. I used to bag them for overreacting but they were spot on. It's scourge and a blight on the game IMO and now half the competition does it.
    Fair enough mate. I guess I look at when I started at Vic Kick in the mid eighties tackling was all about watching the hips and going for the waist. Then it evolved into doing that and trying to pin the arms. That evolved into pinning high up on the arms because it was found that if you went too low arms could be freed up and the ball can be kicked. It's now at a point where tackling is so well trained that a high arm pinned tackle provides little opportunity to dispose of the ball and a perfect lever to deck someone, or forearms are grabbed and the carrier can't dispose of the ball.

With all of the training and evolution of the tackle, shouldn't the onus be on the tackler to make sure the tackle doesn't slip below the knees and above the shoulders? If you don't want to give away a free kick, go for the waist and try and pin the arms there like players used to.

If you want to talk about cynical tactics, you could easily argue the evolution of the tackle in our game is cynical in itself and it's only natural that as tackling gets more sophisticated the onus to ensure a tackle stays legal is more heavily weighted towards the tackler and not the player first to the ball.