Re: AFL Game Day R4 2020

You guys are mad Brown would be a walk up start in our team
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Was about to say...

No way Brown wouldn't play in our team. He'd either play ahead of Bruce or push Naughton back into defence.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s no way known Naughton would be pushed back
    He’s 20 years old playing key forward . I think Brown’s a better play than Bruce, but Naughton’s attributes scream play forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Was about to say...

No way Brown wouldn't play in our team. He'd either play ahead of Bruce or push Naughton back into defence.
    While I agree that Brown would be ahead of Bruce comfortably, I'm not certain that Bevo would play him.

He doesn't seem to rate one position players and certainly not any that have limitations defensively and with the ground ball.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Having seen Tom Boyd and Aaron Naughton being borderline assaulted in most marking contests and not get any frees in the last few years, I would love a key forward in our team who wins numerous frees for being unco in marking contests, but can run all day and can drill set shot goals for fun.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Having seen Tom Boyd and Aaron Naughton being borderline assaulted in most marking contests and not get any frees in the last few years, I would love a key forward in our team who wins numerous frees for being unco in marking contests, but can run all day and can drill set shot goals for fun.
    So you agree he'd be a walk up start?

Post Thanks / Like

Brown is playing about as good as Bruce this year
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

So you agree he'd be a walk up start?
    Totally. But I can't stand the easy frees he receives simply for being an unco gumby in marking contests and flopping around like a dead fish and flailing his pasty arms and legs about in a desperate (and usually successful) attempt to get the attention of the umps. I would, however, love those easy frees if he was wearing our colours.

Having said that, this year is not a good year to be a key forward with shorter quarters and even more congestion cutting off leading lanes for the big forwards. And with those compromises in place, I don't think Brown is handling the new world order at all well thus far.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Totally. But I can't stand the easy frees he receives simply for being an unco gumby in marking contests and flopping around like a dead fish and flailing his pasty arms and legs about in a desperate (and usually successful) attempt to get the attention of the umps. I would, however, love those easy frees if he was wearing our colours.

Having said that, this year is not a good year to be a key forward with shorter quarters and even more congestion cutting off leading lanes for the big forwards. And with those compromises in place, I don't think Brown is handling the new world order at all well thus far.
    Fair enough, agree with all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If we could turn clock back and select Brown instead of Fuller we would. Most players have limitations. I think Brown would likely be selected in our best 22 if he played for us. I do not watch enough footy to compare him to every other FF but when I have seen him play he covers a lot of ground and is way more a reliable goal kick than most on our list.

I love Maclean yet he did have habit of eeking out frees that would probably infuriate me in an opposition player. I think he has grown out of that (perhaps due to umps tweaking rules which was fair enough). I think I could get used to Brown flopping like a fish (again I think this could alter for the better, perhaps with a different coach and possibly different team and perhaps Shaw might do so given he is a newbie) if he could reliably kick a goal or two per game in the RWB.
    Toby helped enact a rule change that was completely unnecessary. If you tackle the onus should be on you to ensure you tackle below the shoulders and above the knees, and that your tackle stays between those areas. If a player is strong enough to shrug a tackle and it slips over the shoulder then bad luck, it's a free against the tackler much like it is when a player is strong enough to run through a tackle and it slips below the knees. Again, bad luck you went for a tackle and it wasn't legal.

As for the issue specific to Toby, he lowered his body and this made tackles slip too high. Does everyone run around standing up as straight as they can when they have the footy? No, they don't. If Toby was leading with the head in a ducking motion then he's instigating contact and he doesn't deserve a free. However, if he's just lowering his body height slightly then the onus is on the tackler to stick the tackle properly in my view.

I'm a bit passionate about this particular rule. The AFL wants the game to move quickly but changes the rules like in this instance and it's completely counterintuitive as it mostly bloody is with them.

Ben Brown flat out dives and gets rewarded for it. We'd have him for sure, but he is a diver.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind divers so much. Johnno was a diver but also brave and an incredibly good footballer. He just wanted to do anything he could to win the ball for his team.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Toby helped enact a rule change that was completely unnecessary. If you tackle the onus should be on you to ensure you tackle below the shoulders and above the knees, and that your tackle stays between those areas. If a player is strong enough to shrug a tackle and it slips over the shoulder then bad luck, it's a free against the tackler much like it is when a player is strong enough to run through a tackle and it slips below the knees. Again, bad luck you went for a tackle and it wasn't legal.

As for the issue specific to Toby, he lowered his body and this made tackles slip too high. Does everyone run around standing up as straight as they can when they have the footy? No, they don't. If Toby was leading with the head in a ducking motion then he's instigating contact and he doesn't deserve a free. However, if he's just lowering his body height slightly then the onus is on the tackler to stick the tackle properly in my view.

I'm a bit passionate about this particular rule. The AFL wants the game to move quickly but changes the rules like in this instance and it's completely counterintuitive as it mostly bloody is with them.

Ben Brown flat out dives and gets rewarded for it. We'd have him for sure, but he is a diver.
    It also really annoys me when a player is bending over to pick up the ball, someone comes in to tackle them front on, and no free kick is awarded because they 'ducked'. No! That is a dangerous tackle, there is no need for that tackle, and it should be a free kick.

Players contesting a loose ball have a duty of care to their opponents (i.e. don't rush in and make contact with your opponent's head).
    Players with the ball need to protect themselves (i.e. don't duck into a tackle and cause contact to your own head).

It's one rule adjudication which really frustrates me, whether I'm watching or playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agree about Toby. If you tackle someone and make contact above the shoulder then it doesn't matter how that happened, it's a free kick against you. And as for changing the rule if Toby didn't play for us then it would never have been changed in a million years.

Same as the third man up in the ruck contest, if it was Dustin Martin or Dangerfield and not Bont doing it and gaining an advantage for their team there would never have been a change. Besides Bont was hitting it clear of contests and thus reducing congestion, isn't that what they want?

Do they have a problem with third man joining a marking contest? No, they don't. And they never will have until it's an advantage to one of our players, then they will change the rule in an instant.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the passion and logic of WOOF. Good discussion about Toby. Do you agree Selwood used to (possibly still does) something similar yet the umps let it go with him but changed rules largely due to Toby?

I now think Toby misses out sometimes on the occasional free he is due as they see who it is and kind of overcompensate.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the great joys of my footy watching life is seeing Toby slip the arm up and suck in another idiot opponent.

The one he got in the 3rd quarter of our 2016 semi which lead to a crunch goal was an absolute thing of beauty.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.