Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  82
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V St. Kilda R2 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In what way is Gardner a better selection than Sweet, who would release English (to be best on ground at centre half forward) and Naughton (to give us a genuine key position player on the backline). Then we would not run the risk of our midfield out of the game (like in the final, practise match against against Port, and game 1). In fact Sweet is the only player in the squad with a 100% win rate when playing in the firsts in the last six months.
    Sweet yet to play one AFL game. He is an unknown factor.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see the saints getting over the top of us. We’ll do it for Josh.

Dogs by 18 points with the game iced at 3/4 time.
    1st Goal. Wallis
    BOG. Bont. Hell will be mega pissed after the first loss as captain.

Let’s hope that the board have told Bevo it’s a short season so you don’t have time to be creative. Play the percentages (people in position) the list is good enough. Our supporters really do need hope
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on a roller coaster of emotions heading into R2.

I don't really feel invested in a further compromised league due to COVID. But I'll be glad to have us on TV competing. But it's not really the same as being there. Weird loop of push and pull towards the footy.

I think I am still hurt by our insipid R1 performance & sense of inevitability I feel based on selection. So many games in recent history I feel we're run and done before a ball was even bounced. Sunday has that feeling.

I'm desperate for that to not be the case. So my reaction when it is will be savage. There is no middle ground for me at the moment. If we win I'm up & about. I'll be a mature adult and give us 15 minutes into the first QTR before I start calling for sackings, or that a Flag* will wag.

5. Likes GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sweet yet to play one AFL game. He is an unknown factor.
    As was Gardner 3 games ago.

So what do we know about Sweet?
    He can hold Goldstein. He is a good kick. He has good spatial awareness. But most importantly, he can release talent in the team.

What else do we need to know?
    Nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

As was Gardner 3 games ago.

So what do we know about Sweet?
    He can hold Goldstein. He is a good kick. He has good spatial awareness. But most importantly, he can release talent in the team.

What else do we need to know?
    Nothing.
    Do we really know that? If we are using the practice game when Goldy wasn't on the ground as much as he would normally do as the measuring stick do we then regard Cordy as an option because he competed well against Goldy for nearly half a game?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do we really know that? If we are using the practice game when Goldy wasn't on the ground as much as he would normally do as the measuring stick do we then regard Cordy as an option because he competed well against Goldy for nearly half a game?
    Yes we should. I (and others) are tired of watching English get ‘hung out to dry’. The ruck strategy has been a monumental failure for years. And if Cordy can do well there it’s a clear indication of that failure, proving that what has been dragging the team down is ego and not generalship.

And Cordy’s performance in that game proved that his natural position is one that involves movement. Not a static one- on- one where he gets beaten most of the time by genuine key position players. We lost count last year of how many kicked personal bests against him. All unnecessary angst for the supporters.

Another lesson from that game was English’s remarkable forward work when he was replaced in the ruck. He gave The Bont a first class target and we looked competitive until (mysteriously) both he and the Bont were taken from the ground. Then North regained the upper hand.

None of the members sitting near me could understand that decision.

And back to my original question, in what way is Gardner contributing more than Sweet would? (I would be happy to see Sweet selected as a backman seeing we won’t use Trengove in the team).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I'm on a roller coaster of emotions heading into R2.

I don't really feel invested in a further compromised league due to COVID. But I'll be glad to have us on TV competing. But it's not really the same as being there. Weird loop of push and pull towards the footy.

I think I am still hurt by our insipid R1 performance & sense of inevitability I feel based on selection. So many games in recent history I feel we're run and done before a ball was even bounced. Sunday has that feeling.

I'm desperate for that to not be the case. So my reaction when it is will be savage. There is no middle ground for me at the moment. If we win I'm up & about. I'll be a mature adult and give us 15 minutes into the first QTR before I start calling for sackings, or that a Flag* will wag.
    I love reading your posts mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we should. I (and others) are tired of watching English get ‘hung out to dry’. The ruck strategy has been a monumental failure for years. And if Cordy can do well there it’s a clear indication of that failure, proving that what has been dragging the team down is ego and not generalship.

And Cordy’s performance in that game proved that his natural position is one that involves movement. Not a static one- on- one where he gets beaten most of the time by genuine key position players. We lost count last year of how many kicked personal bests against him. All unnecessary angst for the supporters.

Another lesson from that game was English’s remarkable forward work when he was replaced in the ruck. He gave The Bont a first class target and we looked competitive until (mysteriously) both he and the Bont were taken from the ground. Then North regained the upper hand.

None of the members sitting near me could understand that decision.

And back to my original question, in what way is Gardner contributing more than Sweet would? (I would be happy to see Sweet selected as a backman seeing we won’t use Trengove in the team).
    You see the game uniquely. Welcome back.

I literally disagree with ninety percent of what you post but you give me something to think about.

We're being sorted out by the MC and coaching staff now, I reckon the white flag has already been raised and we don't think we're ready for a decent run at a flag now.

If that's true, it's going to be hard to watch this year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I reckon the white flag has already been raised and we don't think we're ready for a decent run at a flag now.

If that's true, it's going to be hard to watch this year.
    If as you say the white flag has been raised then there is every possibility we are sorting our list for next year and with the AFL talking about reduced lists this could be the beginning of a compromised season were lets see if these blokes are worth keeping on the list type of sorting session.
    We'll get a better idea if we see more fringe players given extended runs.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, it's pretty cool to wake up and have a Dogs game to look forward to all day.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I must say, it's pretty cool to wake up and have a Dogs game to look forward to all day.
    I thought the same thing and then I looked at the ladder and reflected on our last two outings.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I thought the same thing and then I looked at the ladder and reflected on our last two outings.
    A top 5 draft pick doesn't excite you?

16. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Oh, I totally expect this positive feeling to disappear about 15 minutes into the first quarter after Max King has taken a few easy marks on Alex Keath's head.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling positive about this one. Doggies by 28 points. Bruce to kick 4 and a good week coming up for all Woofers.

Post Thanks / Like

So we have clearly flagged our intentions to out run the Saints today so I'm going into this game with a fair bit of confidence and expecting a strong and most importantly a spirited performance. Given our last two outings, Bevo and the coaches must have our players switched on for a contest and there can be no excuses for anything less than a 'hungry for the contest' effort.

The key for us has to be Bruce and Naughton up forward because if they have good games it will really set us on the right path
    We will also need to hope that Keath and Gardner can keep the Saints forwards in check and that our midfield returns to form

I'm not expecting a very high standard game from a skills perspective but if our hunger is there a 24 point win is there for the taking.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"