Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  82
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V St. Kilda R2 2020

Whateley has called us out saying we are very much on the watch list to see how we respond

The pressure will start to mount if we don't answer the challenge this week
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whateley has called us out saying we are very much on the watch list to see how we respond

The pressure will start to mount if we don't answer the challenge this week
    Does that mean Sedat will have to change his tune from also calling us out?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what thought, if any, was put into curbing Billings? This is not the first time he has dined out on us.
    We badly need to win next game. In a 17 game season a 0-3 start would create an immense hill to climb. We need to make a statement but do we have the personal to make it? I hope so.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    If we were pushing games into Gardner because he’s our future and/or we had no other options, I’d be patient. When Lewis Young can’t get a game and nor can Trengove then I’m at a loss.

Regarding Gardner: I have to say too that I always fear a pack mentality and feel very much for how hard it is for a young guy like him to be treated with derision. This is not personal against him, we’d all love him to be a feel-good story, I’d have leapt around the lounge room with joy if he’d played a blinder. He’s not the scapegoat for why we lost, but his selection does highlight something we’re all seeing - Bevo’s doggedness and stubbornness have become a liability. I have wanted for a while to see him more challenges for him around selection and tactics, and I fear that without different voices, he is becoming more insular, which isn’t a good thing.
    This is a really good post. I think you've nailed it in terms of what most posters are feeling. Its not personal on Gardner, we want all Bulldogs players to succeed, but it points to a more puzzling broader issue, which is the mindset of the coach, or at least how we perceive it as invested supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    This is a really good post. I think you've nailed it in terms of what most posters are feeling. Its not personal on Gardner, we want all Bulldogs players to succeed, but it points to a more puzzling broader issue, which is the mindset of the coach, or at least how we perceive it as invested supporters.
    Gardner actually ticks a few boxes in what he potentially offers us. At 197cm he has a nice height for a KP player and possess good speed. If he gets it right he will be a welcome addition to the side. I question if we are doing him any favors but making him one of two key defenders though

Post Thanks / Like

Gardner actually ticks a few boxes in what he potentially offers us. At 197cm he has a nice height for a KP player and possess good speed. If he gets it right he will be a welcome addition to the side. I question if we are doing him any favors but making him one of two key defenders though
    I think one of his issues is he is not strong enough to be KP.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I like the idea of three 195cm+ boys down there while he learns his craft. He needs to provide more than speed if he is going to play 3rd tall. If he was a neat kick or read the ball better through the air I'd be open to it but I have not seen one positive passage of play from him. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh there but his selection is a big concern for me.

Cordy is an awkward kick but it's reasonably effective. He's also aggressive in the air and mobile enough to play the 3rd tall role. He needs to replace him ASAP.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Its about picking the best team right now.
    Lewis Young is 197cms, Trengove is 197cms. Young is younger than Gardy - Trengove older - but both offer far more to the side now.
    Gardy might test well for speed, but speed in a football game is different altogether - I'm tipping anticipation makes up for a fair bit, if not all, in the difference between some 20m speed testing. Gardy certainly didn't look like he possessed speed yesterday. I can understand it is a learning and confidence thing, but you don't get to do your base learning at AFL level in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young is 197cms, Trengove is 197cms. Young is younger than Gardy - Trengove older - but both offer far more to the side now.
    Gardy might test well for speed, but speed in a football game is different altogether - I'm tipping anticipation makes up for a fair bit, if not all, in the difference between some 20m speed testing. Gardy certainly didn't look like he possessed speed yesterday. I can understand it is a learning and confidence thing, but you don't get to do your base learning at AFL level in my view.
    Spot on, we need to pick team that give us the best chance of a win and a more spirited 4 quarter effort

Post Thanks / Like

We all were somewhat shocked at selections last week. Too small down back for the saints’ talls. The counter argument was that through zoning off, we could intercept and run them off their feet. However we all saw how many times the saints forwards were just one on one with say Caleb, Williams or JJ. I mean having a scenario of Max King one on one with someone giving 10cm is a recipe for disaster. At one point Steele was taking marks in the goal square. What does that say about our setup? It’s poor selection but also poor execution of any fundamental game plan. It was diabolical. Both Collingwood and the saints have been able to do whatever they want all over the ground. We’d struggle to beat VFL sides in current form it’s that bad. We need to go back to basics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Does that mean Sedat will have to change his tune from also calling us out?
    If Whateley said that, I'm on a 100% unity ticket with him. I decided to stop listening to SEN at the start of the year and my life has been all the better for it - I certainly don't miss the incessant ads for Robot Building Supplies and Hang My TV
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

The speed of F50 entries would make anyone look slow.
    Bearing that in mind, Alex Keath gets a pass mark at least. He actually took intercept marks during an avalanche.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The speed of F50 entries would make anyone look slow.
    Bearing that in mind, Alex Keath gets a pass mark at least. He actually took intercept marks during an avalanche.
    I thought Keath was solid, but he seemed all to willing to spray his teammates, which is an interesting power move from a second game player.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If Whateley said that, I'm on a 100% unity ticket with him. I decided to stop listening to SEN at the start of the year and my life has been all the better for it - I certainly don't miss the incessant ads for Robot Building Supplies and Hang My TV
    I made that change ten years ago and never looked back. It's tripe.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I thought Keath was solid, but he seemed all to willing to spray his teammates, which is an interesting power move from a second game player.
    Yeah, it speaks to frustration on the field (possibly with selection and personnel) but also a lack of control that needs to be tempered.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.