Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  119
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WB Game Day V GWS Giants R3 2020

Margin:
    Our First Goal:
    Our Best On Ground:
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V GWS Giants R3 2020

Bump
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

This shapes up as a critical test for the club and it's now complicated by our poor showings over the first two rounds of the season.
    It has the added interest because it's against the team that stitched us up in the finals last year and in a way started to insert doubts into our supporter base on how the club handles an opposition team making the game as much about the physical side of the contest as it is about the required skills and planning clubs go through to win a tough contest.

We came up short in terms of handling the physical contest and after that disappointing loss we spent the better part of the preseason apparently using the loss to GWS as the spur for the 2020 season training sessions.
    Well 3 weeks in to the season we play our arch nemesis again and it's an almost critical must win game for us

So I have some questions for our WOOF members and I'm hoping for some quality and thought provoking answers much like we achieved on the "Bevo and our efforts" thread

How should we go about rebuilding the confidence of the players and to get them up for the contest?
    What tricks or moves might Bevo pull out to really swing things our way?
    And finally, is this almost a make or break game for us for the 2020 season?

Much like the Bevo and our efforts thread I welcome your thoughts and I hope for some serious debate
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Naughton back to defence where he belongs.
    Trengove into the ruck.
    English into a forward/utility role.
    Weightman and Cavarra to replace the defense-phobic pair of Dale and Lloyd.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Trengove into the ruck.
    This is a start.

While Weightman & Cavarra don't fit into this yet, I'd like us to play our best 22. Trengove is in that, whether it's in defence or as number 1 ruck.

Both Dale & Lloyd had good ends to the year last year, but they don't seem to suit modern football forward patterns. Cavarra & Weightman, while untried, do.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove into the ruck.
    This.
    English-Trengove-Naughton can be switched up to Naughton-English-Trengove to mix it up too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    This.
    English-Trengove-Naughton can be switched up to Naughton-English-Trengove to mix it up too.
    Let’s be fair.
    The team selections over the last three years have shown the willingness to improvise.
    Most have failed spectacularly.

This would be easy, many think it will work, and if it doesn’t at least we will all know that.
    And if it does work- how good will that be.

Post Thanks / Like

How should we go about rebuilding the confidence of the players and to get them up for the contest?

We tell them they matched the Saints in every KPI on the field, but gave up the ball too easily when approaching the F50. We have to make sure we take our chances, and hit targets.

One move could be to tag a couple of their ball movers. We need to put a stopper on Lachie Whitfield giving them drive out of their backline. Perhaps Richards follows him around and tries to nullify him (other suggestions welcome).

We also need to get the match ups right, especially in their forward line. Young has played well on Cameron, and should come in, and Trengove must come in as a ruckman to help English

I wouldn't say make or break, but would put us 0-3 in a 17 game season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick a side that has a chance at winning and then let the players play to their STRENGTHS. This means that Keath doesn't play as the lone tall lock down defender, because he's bloody ordinary at it. This means that English isn't supported by Bruce in the ruck - it has to be Trengove or Sweet, or if we want to scrap it completely then just put Jong in for a few minutes. There are a few other examples but our coaching group need to pick a suitable team that allows individuals the best opportunity at excelling. For the last 3 games, we've picked a side that is already trying to beat itself.

Our mids need to be accountable - they run one way (Smith aside). It's time Dunkley or Libba tag and I'd almost think about playing JJ as a defensive forward v Whitfield, because he's offered us nothing as a half back.

Arguably that was last week. I think our season is shot and I don't see us beating GWS. They are a challenge for us when we are flying, let alone when we are the worst side in the comp on form. I'm not really sure how to 'brand' this game for our players - we were soft and meek in R1 & R2 which is when an emphatic response was required. The media will build this up as our "final" but really, I think it's gone past that.

Pride game? Maybe. I don't know. I think it's more of a "Do you really want to turn up to play this year?" type of game for us. Weed out those going through the motions from others who will put the work in.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Bevo could stop reading Roald Dahl to the buys and read them the riot act instead. These guys are just plain soft.

Post Thanks / Like

To me this is all about grabbing back some momentum and insisting on a 4 quarter effort. There were both some positive and negative signs last week so it's a reasonable template for the coaches to use to refocus the group
    While I'm sure this happens for every game I would be assigning players some set tasks to help refocus them. That could be around tackling or defensive efforts or about taking the game on. I'd be checking with them at the breaks at how they thing they're going

I'd be playing Bontempelli forward for 70% of the game as his marking power will test their back line. It would also throw a curve ball at how GWS use de Boer.
    I'd also be doing something similar with Liberatore and playing him more as an antagonizing forward (he has some form in that area) that will distract their defenders. Heath Shaw can't stand him and would be hugely distracted with Liberatore niggling away at him and other defenders. They set-up a lot of play from the back line so lets try and test them there.
    I like BAD's suggestion of looking at a way of curbing Whitfield and maybe that is a role Jong might be able to perform for us

We've steadfastly resisted using tagging but we have to do some work on their players and get them out of their comfort zone

In terms of effort displayed I'd say it's right on the money as being an almost make or break game. We can probably handle not getting the 4 points but on a lot of levels we can't handle a sub-par level around the effort we bring, and importantly, maintain throughout the game

To say I'm really looking forward to this game and all the challenges around motivating the team and getting back to a level of football that we have been known for is a huge understatement
    If our players can't get up for this game they never will

We owe them huge and Friday night is our pay back game
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

gws by 78 points
    Wally first goal
    Baz BOG

I'd go with some theatrics. My motto recently when we've looked flat, or like we are grinding to a halt has been "2 goals and a fight." If we are down by three, it's game over if they kick another. Simple as that. We'll cave. The fight, the mongrel isn't part of this squad's psyche yet, so it must be manufactured.

Two goals and a fight. We kick two, punch someone. They kick two, punch someone. Every two goals, start a fight. If we want to turn the heat right up, go after one of their younger players. Not in a smart Alec push and shove way, blood curdling violence. Two goals and a fight.

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove into the ruck.
    I agree with your thoughts on Naughton and English but would prefer to try Sweet in the ruck and Trengrove and Naughton to become our two key defenders.Prefer to also return Richards to defence where he was outstanding in his debut season. To allow St Kilda to score just on 100 points highlights that the backline at present is simply not good enough.
    Would also like to add Liberatore Maclean and Williams to support Bont and Dunkley in the midfield with both Macrae and Smith occupying the centre wings. Our midfield badly lacks depth against the stronger Clubs. Suckling proved his worth as a half forward with Hawthorn and given our indifferent forward line may well give us a lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all. I would add Lewis Young in for Gardner. And put Libba in over Gowers. Hard to imagine Schache putting in a worse game than Bruce did, so maybe pull that move too.

Post Thanks / Like

Margin: Dogs by 1 point - we are 5 points down and Libba gets the winning goal in the last 10 seconds
    FG: Josh Bruce with the first and a couple and have a much better game
    BOG: Bont - needs to tear it up this time against the Giants